BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Break up the inter-conference games

Break up the inter-conference games

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 12/8/2008 2:26:20 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think it would be an improvement to have the inter-conference (i.e. Big 8 vs Great 8... I'll just call them "xover" for the rest of the post) matchups occur more spread out over the season. The current format is:

- Seven conference games
- Eight xover games
- Seven conference games

For me, and probably for a number of mature teams, it means that I get the xover games just when the Cup is starting to get interesting. Since, in practice, you can't field your best lineup three times in a week, something has to give during these weeks. I don't have a problem with something having to give... I just wish it didn't happen against the same teams every season. It has killed a real-life rivalry with one of my long-term Naismith colleagues... every season the same matchup occurs in round 6-8 of the Cup, and it always makes for the same tough decision.

So, I'd like to see the xover games spread throughout the season, instead of in one mid-season chunk. Then at least it would be possible that I would face teams from the other division at a point in the season where the Cup was either easier, or already done.

I don't see any obvious potential technical hurdles to make this happen. The side effect would be that more division games for high-level teams would end up being affected by happening on difficult cup weeks... I don't really see that as an issue. It would be the same for everyone.

This Post:
63383.2 in reply to 63383.1
Date: 12/8/2008 2:50:19 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
What about important match-ups concerning play-off tickets or relegation? Maybe it is better to have more chance to play them when cup rounds are less crucial... Some of the players could complain more easily they had a worse game calendar with your system because of the unfair moments of important match-ups.

Climbing the BB-mountain. Destination: the top.
This Post:
63383.3 in reply to 63383.2
Date: 12/8/2008 2:57:46 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think there are always going to be important matchups when you don't want them, whether those are within your division or not. The point is that right now, it's the same matchups at roughly the same time, season after season.

Although thinking about it further, I do think that the calendar should be fixed slightly. The final game of the season should be the previous season's divisonal 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4, etc... since those matchups have the greatest likelihood of being directly relevant to playoffs, relegation, etc.

This Post:
63383.4 in reply to 63383.3
Date: 12/8/2008 3:20:36 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think there are always going to be important matchups when you don't want them, whether those are within your division or not.

In my opinion the likelyhood of an important match-up is bigger conferential.
The interconferential games seem less attractive to me in terms of play-offs and relegation, so it seems a good thing they get scheduled together with an attractive cup-run.

The point is that right now, it's the same matchups at roughly the same time, season after season.

Although thinking about it further, I do think that the calendar should be fixed slightly. The final game of the season should be the previous season's divisonal 1 vs 2, 3 vs 4, etc... since those matchups have the greatest likelihood of being directly relevant to playoffs, relegation, etc.

--> Seems a good suggestion but this way, the matchups will be scheduled even more tightly.

About the same matchups: every season your own conference gets fresh teams so there will always be some variation. The progress a team can make within a year because of training etc, is at the moment pretty large. So it doesn't bother me yet.

Climbing the BB-mountain. Destination: the top.
This Post:
63383.5 in reply to 63383.4
Date: 12/9/2008 9:17:49 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
In my opinion the likelyhood of an important match-up is bigger conferential.
The interconferential games seem less attractive to me in terms of play-offs and relegation, so it seems a good thing they get scheduled together with an attractive cup-run.

You seem to be missing the point. It's not about having the most attractive schedule possible, it's about avoiding the same scenarios repeating season after season in terms of certain matchups.

but this way, the matchups will be scheduled even more tightly

This doesn't really make sense.

every season your own conference gets fresh teams so there will always be some variation.

This is pretty much irrelevant, but I'll address it. Do you really believe that a new team or 2 remedies the problem mentioned?

The progress a team can make within a year because of training etc, is at the moment pretty large.

Also irrelevant, which is probably why it doesn't bother you.

Last edited by TigerUnderGlass at 12/9/2008 9:18:34 PM