BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Suggestion to Practicing Tactics

Suggestion to Practicing Tactics

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 11/7/2007 3:36:18 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Has anyone thought about implementing a way for a team to practice tactics. I think one very big issue with the game engine is that teams can change on the fly their offensive and defensive tactics. And since tactics is a large part of the reason why teams win and lose, it is impossible to predict what other teams are going to do. Practically comes down to luck.

Team organization is a big part of team sports. If the Chicago Bears run a Cover 2 defense, if they change to a 4-3 on the fly, their defense will certainly suffer. Same for offense philosophy.

I don't think that teams should be able to change their tactics on the fly as often as they do without some sort of penalty. Think about the setup from Hattrick. You have an organization skill with certainly tactics. Without practice you can't change to a new setting without suffering consequences. This is GOOD because then it is one teams players v.s. the other teams players, rather than who selects the best tactics to matchup with the other teams tactics.

This IMO is a big flaw of the current system and some teams will win games and some will lose due to this. Has their been any talk about this? Is this something that the BB's are looking at or will look at?

Thoughts?

This Post:
6352.3 in reply to 6352.2
Date: 11/7/2007 3:56:42 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
And the fact that the coach isn't able to change things as the game continues really makes it even more inaccurate. Personally, I think defensive tactics can be gotten rid of all together. No one wins on what offensive philosophy they use v.s. another teams defensive philosophy!

If one team has a lot of 3 pt shooters and your team runs a 2-3 zone, then the coach would be able to change to man-to-man of a 3-2 before the game starts. But the fact that a 3 pt shooting team can out of the blue change to 'look inside' without penalty makes it impossible to predict what to tell your coach to do. This is a big big deal and the reason why a lot of worse teams can win games.

This Post:
6352.4 in reply to 6352.1
Date: 11/8/2007 6:57:07 AM
Guma Terror
I.1
Overall Posts Rated:

i agree with you there should be somehting like tactis experience so you would have a benefit by studying your rival recently used tactics

This Post:
6352.5 in reply to 6352.4
Date: 11/8/2007 5:42:35 PM
1986 Celtics
IV.31
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm not convinced that would make the game more fun.. although i agree with you it would make it more realistic. It would seem to me that adding such an effect would make it harder for teams to explore different tactics and try to outguess their opponents. Everyone would get really good at one or two tactics and you would know what your opponent was going to do.

it is already the case that if your tactic doesn't match your teams makeup you are at a disadvantage.. so i think adding such an effect might be too much.

This Post:
6352.6 in reply to 6352.5
Date: 11/9/2007 7:56:15 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Obviously I respect your opinion, but I would at leat ask you to give it some serious thought with the other BB's.

At the very least I think there needs to be less of an emphasis on matching tactics. Right now it is just too easy to bounce back and forth and making it a guessing game, much more than playing to your own teams strengths.

I urge the BB's to consider this ,as I think keeping things the same and making the game easier for people to just pick up and play isn't a good long term endeavor. The more realistic it is the better the chance of long term success. If people, over time, realize that there is too much luck on guessing your opponents tactics, they will have a higher chance to flee.

Just my opinion (and probably a lot of others' as well).

This Post:
6352.7 in reply to 6352.6
Date: 11/9/2007 11:49:59 PM
1986 Celtics
IV.31
Overall Posts Rated:
I am definitely considering it.. i mean.. the reason i write a reply with my thinking in it is to help push the debate forward amongst the BBs and the users. I'd rather have as open debate as possible where all the issues are laid out and no matter what we decide the users have some insight into why it was that we decided to do something that way. I hope I haven't turned you off to the debate in general, and I think you'll find throughout the forums I don't just shoot down ideas on principal.

I'd love to hear what other users think and feel... if what you say is true and users find the tactical uncertainty to be more annoying than fun then that would affect my viewpoint. I'm not sure that I believe that your viewpoint is shared by the majority of users.. then again I don't have any real basis for saying that. So I hope others chime in and help shape our understanding of the user's consensus.

This Post:
6352.8 in reply to 6352.7
Date: 11/10/2007 1:37:33 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
if what you say is true and users find the tactical uncertainty to be more annoying than fun then that would affect my viewpoint.

Truthfully, at the moment I find it's pretty much a case of "meh, anything could happen in this match" just before it starts.
It's still fun, but it could be more so.

Naturally, when I think about tactics "experience", I think about how formation experience works in Hattrick - and I don't find that perfect either.

Tactics could perhaps be held at certain levels by coaches? If you play those tactics you also get a bonus "maintenance" % (like practice levels on players).
If you make the coaches more important, where higher level coaches can maintain more tactics types at higher levels, this might make sense... (bah @ extra wages, but the advantages probably even out with this extra cost).