BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > Make smaller breaks between games

Make smaller breaks between games

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 1/3/2009 10:06:45 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I don't like having to wait a week before playing another game, I think the season should be shorter(same number of games)and you should have games every 2 or 3 days

This Post:
67122.2 in reply to 67122.1
Date: 1/3/2009 11:20:42 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
This is the only week with such a break.

Every other week has a league game on Tuesday as well.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
67122.3 in reply to 67122.2
Date: 1/3/2009 11:30:43 PM
1986 Celtics
IV.31
Overall Posts Rated:
charles and I both think we should figure out how to get rid of the allstar break too, not the game but the gap in the schedule... of course the number of total weeks is set now, so we can't cut out a week and still get all the tournaments in that we want.

This Post:
67122.4 in reply to 67122.3
Date: 1/4/2009 4:17:13 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
charles and I both think we should figure out how to get rid of the allstar break too, not the game but the gap in the schedule... of course the number of total weeks is set now, so we can't cut out a week and still get all the tournaments in that we want.

Can't you put it on a random Friday? Well, not a random one, really -- the midseason Friday.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
67122.5 in reply to 67122.4
Date: 1/4/2009 7:42:28 AM
1986 Celtics
IV.31
Overall Posts Rated:
sure the problem is what league game to we put in its place? or else the season is shortened... and we can't shorten the season because we need all those weeks to get the world championships done etc... see the issue? i guess we can have one more league game than our current schedule allows maybe? it would lose some symmetry, as now you have a home and an away for all teams in your division... so added one more in division game would be weird and 6 games against someone in the other division.. i guess we could make it seven... though its would devalue the divisional rivalry and be weird there is just one team you dont play.. though i guess not that much weirder than there being two.

This Post:
67122.6 in reply to 67122.5
Date: 1/4/2009 1:34:19 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
You don't necessarily have to put an extra game. Maybe the offseason should be reorganized so that games 2 and 3 of the final playoff do not fall on consecutive days?

This might be an annoying wait for teams 4 and 8 in the rankings, but there is a way to work around this by organizing a bottom 4 playout bracket:

Game 1: 5 vs 6 and 7 vs 8 (possibly cross-division as it is now)
Game 2: Winner vs Winner and Loser vs Loser

At this point, the team with 2 wins is guaranteed to avoid relegation, the team with two losses is relegated, and the teams that split a win and a loss play a 3-game series to determine the second relegating team.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
67122.7 in reply to 67122.6
Date: 1/4/2009 2:51:36 PM
1986 Celtics
IV.31
Overall Posts Rated:
hmm... i will have to think about this one... might be a good idea.. but i need to work it out on paper and make sure it keeps everyone busy... as you correctly point out having teams wait around is not a good idea.. and generally we find we are losing people at the end of the season when the playoffs are happening as it is.. presumably because they are out of contention and have lost interest... though at the start of the season we seem to do really well and everyone is immediately optimistic again... so our thought is to get the playoffs over with as quickly as possible to keep the most people happy and intrigued with the game.

This Post:
67122.8 in reply to 67122.7
Date: 1/4/2009 2:57:40 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
My thinking was that even with the longer playoffs, by giving the lower half teams an extra game you keep the wait part roughly the same.

However, the guys who get knocked first and second round of the Championship playoffs, however, get their wait time increased by half a week. I am sure something can be worked around there.

I do want to point out that other than losing interest, having throughs in income, namely 2 weeks with zero game income, is probably not a good idea, especially for smaller teams that are still figuring out how to manage their economy.

This Post:
67122.10 in reply to 67122.9
Date: 1/4/2009 3:49:54 PM
1986 Celtics
IV.31
Overall Posts Rated:
but I guess that could be solved by slashing the salaries to 50% for teams placed 5th and 8th (the only ones not to get extra money).

oh sure.. good luck getting that passed the players union ;)