BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > How much game time should I give my players?

How much game time should I give my players? (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 2/3/2009 6:37:07 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Hi there,

First time posting in the forum so be nice!

After aimlessly doing team training for the entire season I am finally training two players at a time. Hooray!

A couple of questions though:-
1) Is it bad if one of the players plays over 80 minutes per week? (this is frequent with me - and what I mean is, should I be limiting them to as close to 48 minutes per week or am I being scatterbrained here?)
2) I am training my young guards on pressure - good strategy? What else is good training for them?
3) Next step is power forwards and centres, what's the best training for them?
4) I have a level 4 trainer. Will he be good enough for the time being? Most of the players I'm training are under 20 but a couple are 24 and allstar/perennial.
5) Regarding tactics, how many people should be on my bench in a perfect world? (..and if I want someone to get 48 minutes I presume I don't put any subs on the bench in that position but what instructions do I give the coach?)

Any further tips on the above that are above and beyond my questions would be very much appreciated, and sorry if similar has already been answered elsewhere, I find the forums a bit of a nightmare to navigate!

Cheers!!

Harry

This Post:
71347.2 in reply to 71347.1
Date: 2/3/2009 6:48:29 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Two more..

6) Is it possible to train centres AND guards in the same week? (as long as they get 48 minutes after each training session)
7) At what point in the week do the skill pops usually occur?

This Post:
71347.3 in reply to 71347.2
Date: 2/3/2009 7:07:53 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
1. It's not bad if they play over 80 minutes, but it isn't good either. You want players to get close to 48 minutes.
2. If you're training guards then pressure is a good choice. But keep in mind that you get the most benefit of training by rotating skills. I do it on a bi-weekly basis, but that can be discretionary depending on what your needs are. So don't just train pressure as other training types can contribute to pressure while also training other areas.
3. The best training for centers and power forwards is a rotation of inside scoring, inside defense, rebounding, and shotblocking. Shotblocking isn't a very useful skill at the moment but the BBs are looking at it to decide if it should be more effective, but you can always train something else.
4. If you are just starting out a level 4 trainer is great. And you want to have at least 4 trainees, preferably allstar potential or higher and 18-19 years old.
5. It depends on how many players you want on the active roster. Usually only 10 players will play in a game if there are no injuries but you can have up to 12 players total. And even if you don't put in subs in the tactics, but keep them on the active roster the coach will still put them in the game. You will need to take the backups off of the active roster in order to keep them out of the game.
6. You can only have 1 training type. Therefore if you want you big men to get better in outside defense then you'll have to play them in the guard positions.
7. Training updates occur Friday morning 6:10 am EST.

This Post:
71347.4 in reply to 71347.3
Date: 2/3/2009 7:31:54 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks a lot, I really appreciate it, very useful.. and now I'm going to annoy you even more with more nagging.. LOL!

1. It's not bad if they play over 80 minutes, but it isn't good either. You want players to get close to 48 minutes.
Ok.

2. If you're training guards then pressure is a good choice. But keep in mind that you get the most benefit of training by rotating skills. I do it on a bi-weekly basis, but that can be discretionary depending on what your needs are. So don't just train pressure as other training types can contribute to pressure while also training other areas.
When you say bi-weekly do you mean that in a given week you will basically devote that whole week to the guards and no one else? What would be a good training session on top of pressure? And hmm.. just let me get this clear, if during the week I trained the guards on x and y schedule before each game, presuming they got 48 minutes overall during the week could they potentially get a skill pop in both x and y?

3. The best training for centers and power forwards is a rotation of inside scoring, inside defense, rebounding, and shotblocking. Shotblocking isn't a very useful skill at the moment but the BBs are looking at it to decide if it should be more effective, but you can always train something else.
Ok, interesting.. *jots down*

4. If you are just starting out a level 4 trainer is great. And you want to have at least 4 trainees, preferably allstar potential or higher and 18-19 years old.
Damn, I just shelled out 400k on a 19 year old power forward but he only has star potential.. and double checked a few of the ones I'm training - one has bench warmer potential and is 19 but his stats are quite tasty, and another who is awesome is 26 with allstar potential, should I consider binning them and getting youngsters with allstar and above?

5. It depends on how many players you want on the active roster. Usually only 10 players will play in a game if there are no injuries but you can have up to 12 players total. And even if you don't put in subs in the tactics, but keep them on the active roster the coach will still put them in the game. You will need to take the backups off of the active roster in order to keep them out of the game.
Ok, duly noted, thanks.

6. You can only have 1 training type. Therefore if you want you big men to get better in outside defense then you'll have to play them in the guard positions.
Haha! That would be amusing! My dwarf can guard the rim then! But wait.. so I definitely can't train players in x before one game and y the next, instead it has to be one skill per week and so what you mean is I can train my guards in pressure for game 1, and then C & PF in pressure for game 2, is that what you mean?

7. Training updates occur Friday morning 6:10 am EST.
Great! God it's agony waiting!

Thanks for your patience mate, you might want to answer these without using bold so it's all clear.

Last edited by Hazmatazz at 2/3/2009 7:34:22 PM

This Post:
71347.5 in reply to 71347.4
Date: 2/3/2009 7:38:31 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
2. By bi-weekly he means change training type every two weeks. Can only train one thing per week.

This Post:
71347.6 in reply to 71347.5
Date: 2/3/2009 7:47:57 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
AH! Ok.. so how many players do you train per week when you are using a schedule for 2 positions, 4 players? And can you flip over the training from guards to C & PF midweek? Or do you have to put your PF & C in the guard positions for the second game?

This Post:
71347.7 in reply to 71347.6
Date: 2/3/2009 7:56:41 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
You can only choose one selection when it comes to positions trained. In other words, if you are training PG and SG this week, then only those players who play at the PG and SG positions will get training. 48 minutes at PG or SG will give full training, and less than 48 will give only partial training. It doesnt matter what position your player is supposed to play, it only matters where they actually play.

In regards to players who arent training this week, I reccomend between 45-65 minutes, as this will keep thier game shape up. Other people will give slightly different minutes as optimal but in that range.

This Post:
71347.8 in reply to 71347.1
Date: 2/4/2009 2:10:42 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
1) thru 7) You should have used (or read) the help forum.

This Post:
71347.9 in reply to 71347.4
Date: 2/4/2009 3:50:33 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
For question 6, you can only train 1 skill per week. therefore, from saturday to thursday you can only train one skill, basically 3 games. it cannot vary from outside to inside skills.

This Post:
71347.10 in reply to 71347.1
Date: 2/4/2009 11:07:34 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Please use the Help forums - they really are the most appropriate place, and you should find the answers to these and any other questions you may have.

/Juiced

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live