BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > Something wrong???

Something wrong???

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 2/24/2009 2:38:37 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Ok, I was a little surprised when I managed 4 of the 5 starters in the All-Star game [and the 5th was runner-up].

But when I check last year's stats today... I had the top 5 vote getters in the MVP?!?
I was third best in my division, and lost in the first round of the playoffs!!!

Even more strange... now I apparently was the only team playing last season... I'm #1-10 in EVERY stat category...

Did something go wrong with the season updates, or is this related to being in a shifting low-level V league???

This Post:
74904.2 in reply to 74904.1
Date: 2/24/2009 11:08:14 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
The teams that finished above you might have been rotating their players - or not playing their best in easy games to save them for the cup or playoffs.

From what I can work out MVP and Allstar voting is calculated by not only working working out how well a player played, BUT also how many minutes they played in that position for.

So if your starters are playing 36 mins+ every single league game they will get more votes than better rated players playing fewer minutes. My guess is a player averaging 10.0 rating over 36 minutes a game will get more MVP and Allstar votes than a player averaging 11.0 on 24 minutes.

This might alert you to the fact that most teams train 5-6 trainees at once. Training players properly occasionally requires trainees playing out of position (for example last season my trainee bigs spent some time at the 3 to train one-on-one in easier games). So combine players having to be moved around and being rotated for training along with saving your best players for more important league/cup games and this might give you a reason dude.

However don't let anything take your accomplishment away! Getting MVP is no easy task, and gives you a nice trophy for your cabinet! However you might want to look at your training, if you're not training 5 or more players then you may be throwing away a very useful resource.

To: Soel
This Post:
74904.3 in reply to 74904.2
Date: 2/24/2009 11:15:32 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yarr, on a closer look you seem to have a lot of new players/bots in your league. So take what I said about minutes per game and apply it to total minutes

This Post:
74904.4 in reply to 74904.3
Date: 2/24/2009 7:12:00 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Ahh... combining what you said with an old complaint I sent out earlier this season answers it all...

About half way through the season, my league went from just me to suddenly being filled.

Therefore there was mass retirement... it was a big part in how I dominated the All-Star game balloting.

In addition, no one then met the overall requirement except my players. I took the top FIVE positions in MVP... so in my case it was easy!

Also, right at the end, I guess the minimum games requirement increased to a level where no one but my players qualified in stat categories... so I literally have the top 10 in points, rebounds, and assists (down all the way to 1.4 ppg, 1.2 rpg, and 0.7 apg).

I guess it was just the timing that made everything work out so peculiarly. Perhaps something can be done to smooth this over in the future... it looks like a huge error, even if it isn't one whatsoever.

You can see the information at http://www.buzzerbeater.com/BBWeb/standings.aspx?LeagueID....

This Post:
74904.5 in reply to 74904.4
Date: 2/24/2009 7:12:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Oh, and it is a sad thing when I didn't realize you could earn ratings over 10!??!!
Welcome to D V!

This Post:
74904.7 in reply to 74904.6
Date: 2/25/2009 7:02:55 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I had a 9.5 against a weaker team. I'm getting there. But I thought it was impressive until you tell me that!

This Post:
74904.8 in reply to 74904.7
Date: 2/25/2009 7:07:21 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
just take a look at the national team games. you'll see players with ratings of 15.0 and 16.0