BuzzerBeater Forums

Help - English > Game Strategy

Game Strategy

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
Date: 6/21/2009 2:12:34 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I cannot find in the help anywhere that might help me as far as which defense works best against a certain offense and vice versa. I have had success with the Motion Offense against the 2-3 Zone Defense and Low Post Offense against a Man to Man Defense but what other matchups are more favorable for offense vs. defense and defense vs. offense? Anybody?

Last edited by Edward Cullen at 6/21/2009 2:13:05 AM

This Post:
98122.2 in reply to 98122.1
Date: 6/21/2009 2:53:01 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I have seen a lot of people use 1-3-1 against the Run and Gun. I have not had someone play that against me yet but that seems to be common.

3-2- you could use look inside
2-3- something more perimiter oriented like you said motion
Man to Man- just depends what your strength is for your team inside or out

Can anyone explain when you should use the Base Offense or Push the ball?

This Post:
98122.3 in reply to 98122.1
Date: 6/21/2009 6:43:58 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
There isn't a best tactics vs another tactics.

The best way to decide your tactical choice is to compare your matchup ratings with his.

If you need more inside defensive power to match his inside focussed offense, you can play a 2-3 zone to increase your inside defense and your rebounding.
If you need more outside defensive power to match his outside focussed offense, you can play a 3-2 zone or a 1-3-1 zone. 1-3-1 boosts your outside defense a lot, but it hurts your rebounding, while 3-2 will get you higher rebounding ratings and less outside defense compared to a 1-3-1.
If you don't need any extra inside or outside defensive power you can choose an neutral defense tactic, such as a man-to-man.

You can do the same for your offense. You can try to decide the weakness of your opponent and the strength of your team. Then you adjust your tactics. If you can play both inside and outside, but your opponent such in his inside defense, you'd better play an inside focussed offensive tactic and visa versa.

This Post:
98122.4 in reply to 98122.1
Date: 6/21/2009 7:38:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
1-3-1 for me is the best defense but look also the skills of your players...

This Post:
98122.5 in reply to 98122.4
Date: 6/21/2009 7:49:47 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
good day, noob here...so you mean sir for an opponent whose offense is run and gun my defense should be 1-3-1-1 cause that's exactly my opponent.thanks...

This Post:
98122.6 in reply to 98122.5
Date: 6/22/2009 9:28:40 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Regardless of tactics the opponent chooses, I look to see if his shooting is better inside or out. If he has poor outside shooting , and I have good inside defense, I'll choose a 2-3 zone even if he wants run and gun. Let his guards shoot 20 or 30 % and I'll deny him the inside layups.

This Post:
98122.7 in reply to 98122.6
Date: 6/23/2009 4:30:20 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
k thank you very much for the tip...

This Post:
98122.8 in reply to 98122.6
Date: 6/24/2009 9:12:48 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Against the RnG, you have to play the odds.

If they take a high percentage of tre's but are shooting poorly from the perimeter, then look to use the 3-2 zone as it will increase your chance of snagging the rebounds.

If they take a high percentage of tre's and are shooting with high accuracy from the perimeter, it might be better to consider running the 1-3-1 because it increases more outside defensive pressure on the outside shot, which might decrease their shooting percentage.

Consider your player's skills as well.

If your Center is extremely talented at defending the boards and snatching up loose balls while your Power Forward is a better perimeter defender than inside defender and not much of a rebounder, moving to the 1-3-1 would benefit you more than say you ran the 3-2 against the RnG despite how poorly your opponent shoots.

For example, let's say your opponent shoots a dismal .287 from the three point line but is shooting at a clip of say 45% (arbitrary numbers). Now, your Center has Proficient ID, Tremendous RB, Strong SB. Your Power Forward has Respectable ID, Average RB, Average SB, and Strong OD. The 1, 2, & 3 spots range anywhere from Strong to Proficient on Outside Defense. Running the 1-3-1 in this case would put more pressure on their already weak outside shooting which increases the chances of a missed shot possibly lowering their 3FG% even more while. This hurts your opponent because they already spend a lot of their focus on shooting 3's as it is with their 45% clip. You could see in an influx in rebounds for your Center as well if he's even better at rebounding than your opponent's interior guys.

If you were to play the 3-2 against that RnG, you still have a good chance of beating them defensively but your rebounding rate would be about the same and their outside shooting won't change much.

It's all about the opportunities and situations you face. You have to consider it from both sides of the ball.

This Post:
98122.9 in reply to 98122.8
Date: 6/24/2009 11:03:19 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Just a lil observation...

Why you don't recomend to use Full court press to defense run and gun?

The quality of the passes are very low and there's a lot of posibilities in it ...

This Post:
98122.10 in reply to 98122.9
Date: 6/25/2009 9:59:07 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Main reason I don't like FCP is because it tires my players faster which leads me to believe I'll face greater risk of injury. I prefer to drop my players back into some sort of zone so they aren't running around constantly, instead protecting an area. Keeps them fresher and considering I have a strong defense (#1 last season, started out slow this season), I try to keep them in the game for longer periods of time. My backups are not nearly as strong on defense as I'd like them to be.

This Post:
98122.11 in reply to 98122.10
Date: 6/25/2009 11:11:05 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Main reason I don't like FCP is because it tires my players faster which leads me to believe I'll face greater risk of injury.

There is nothing in the rules or that I have read in posts from BBs that would back this up. In fact, my own experience suggests that getting injured has nothing to do with how tired a player is.

I prefer to drop my players back into some sort of zone so they aren't running around constantly, instead protecting an area. Keeps them fresher and considering I have a strong defense

The only defensive tactic that makes your players tire faster is FCP.

Run of the Mill Canadian Manager