Help - English > Basic Training Advice

Basic Training Advice

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
126355.10 in reply to 126355.7
Date: 1/3/2010 5:08:52 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I feel a lot of teams overlook JR and only train JS. JR is now more important in this new game engine

I am really torn on this matter. Many of the elite team feel that JR is not important. Infact one of the best teams in all of BB will not train it past proficient. I think it is still a very important skill but question how important it really is.

As far as driving goes, it too is quite controversial. My belief is that alot of the skills you train depend on the long term overall look of your team. If you plan on being a team that pounds the bal inside I would say that passing and driving are huge skills to have. If you want to be a team that plays with lots of motion and shoots the ball from the perimeter driving is a bit less important imo.

For a new player I would strongly suggest balance. Try to build all round balanced players. It ensures that your players keep relatively low salaries and you will soon find that they are out performing guys with double or triple there wages.

This Post:
126355.12 in reply to 126355.8
Date: 1/3/2010 5:55:50 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm afraid your mistaken my friend. You should get involved with the National Team so you can educate yourself on how to train some great players. Powerhouse singleposition training coupled with training JS and 1v1 at the Guard position is what has made players like Joe Bronson (7929116) absolute studs. After learning what I have learned from the NT I would have trained more 1v1 at the guard position.

Training Handling does add OD to the same effect that 1v1 trains JS but it also trains Driving at the same rate that Driving itself trains Driving. Therefor your point that Ha is better since it concentrates on "more important" skills is moot. It comes down to if you want your player to grow faster in JS or OD. In the end the combo of JS and 1v1 will make him fly up in the JS skill, while saving time and allowing more weeks to train Driving and Ha. I would suggest you message Bronson's owner, ChewBrian, or Coco for more insight as they have been a fantastic asset to training my guy.

Note: I'm not arguing with your point that JS trains JS best but in a training regime you need both JS and 1v1 at the guard position, and is in no way harmful.

This Post:
126355.13 in reply to 126355.10
Date: 1/3/2010 5:59:06 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Infact one of the best teams in all of BB will not train it past proficient. I think it is still a very important skill but question how important it really is.

I'd like to hear from who this is also as it was some of the top US teams and trainers that advised me to train more JR (Especially ChewBrain). I think its become more important in the current engine.

This Post:
126355.14 in reply to 126355.12
Date: 1/3/2010 6:36:21 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Great post FatCurry!!

I agree that more people should get involved in there NT's. It has shown me how to properly train players and how to use tactics to your advantage.

This Post:
126355.15 in reply to 126355.13
Date: 1/3/2010 6:40:09 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I'd like to hear from who this is also as it was some of the top US teams and trainers that advised me to train more JR (Especially ChewBrain). I think its become more important in the current engine.

Your going to have to trust me on this. I will say that there are several different opinions on this. But I know for a fact that several players on one of the best teams in BB will not get there JR past proficient. I can vouch for the players on my team and realize that JR much over that is a waste. One of my high end players has proficent JR and one has sensational, there is virtually no difference in shooting percentage or 3 pt. percentage.

This Post:
126355.16 in reply to 126355.12
Date: 1/3/2010 7:28:38 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I don't care if my players grow faster. I care if they grow better. If the guy asked what is the best way to train an under 18 NT player, then you could advise him how to do it better then me, I am sure. That's not what he asked. And by the way one on one doesn't train handling at the same rate as driving. It' about a 5:4 split, so you get 20% less handling which is more important to guards than driving, I think. And handling is a lot cheaper at that level, too. Just play around with the salary calculator, and you will see what I mean.

This Post:
126355.17 in reply to 126355.16
Date: 1/3/2010 7:45:08 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I have played extensively with salary calculators and especially for PG's Handling is way more expensive than Driving. The importance of handling vs driving can be argued depending on if your goal is to develop a PG or SG

When I said to get involved with the national team it was for you to expose yourself to some of the most experienced players in the game to learn more about training grade A players. All of us could do with more knowledge of people's experiences with BB as none of us are sure 100% how everything works.

Growing faster factors in to making your player grow better. As we know each year their training speed slows with age so you want to try and push up skills like JS quickly before the slowdown from age can effect it more. What is your definition of growing better? I can see on your lineup that you prefer the balanced slow approach and thats fine, but in terms of train a star speed is KEY.

And by the way one on one doesn't train handling at the same rate as driving.

The point I made was handling trains driving as fast as 1v1 does so if your looking to not "waste" skills and minimize what you don't want to push up your mentioning of training handling over driving was an invalid point.

Last edited by FatCurry at 1/3/2010 7:47:02 PM

This Post:
126355.18 in reply to 126355.16
Date: 1/3/2010 7:46:56 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I don't care if my players grow faster. I care if they grow better

I like faster and better ;)

One on one training is awesome imo. You get the best value out of it. With it training driving, handling and JS it is a beauty if you have players that need those skills. Last season I managed 13 pops with one player and a large portion of that was based on one on one training. I needed to bring a guy from mediocre to proficient :)

This Post:
126355.19 in reply to 126355.17
Date: 1/3/2010 8:06:36 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
What I meant was I want to minimize driving level of a guard as it is unnecessary and expansive. Every dollar spent on handling will help your game flow, but driving just doesn't help guards as much as it helps SF. Plus, I don't think it even matters at all if the ball movement allows for an open shot, which is what the game flow is for. As far as you suggestion to get involved with the NT, I appreciate the offer, but it takes an entirely different philosophy to train an NT player and that's not my goal personally :) I have one NT player on my team, but he is from a small country. Coincidently he had been trained in precisely the way you described when I got him... and he will make a wonderful SF, I am sure. A guard he will not be. Not on my team anyways. As far as the cost of handling and driving, you are partially correct in that sometimes driving is more expansive, but some times it's the other way around. It's a moot point, though since I don't want quite that much driving on my guards at any cost.

Last edited by Batman at 1/3/2010 8:08:27 PM

This Post:
126355.20 in reply to 126355.19
Date: 1/3/2010 9:43:11 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

Its not about a NT philosophy its about discussing the best training regimes for players and a team overall but since you seem to have already mastered it perhaps you could join up at the forums and share your wisdom with us?

A few things I'm curious on:

1) What evidence have you seen that shows Driving is useful for a SF but useless for a guard. Most would argue that its either completely useless or vice versa.

2) Have you read that driving is a bigger factor in a guards inside shooting over IS itself? (This was posted by BB Charles)

As far as the cost of handling and driving, you are partially correct in that sometimes driving is more expansive, but some times it's the other way around.

3) I said Handling was more expensive in almost every case and thats most likely due to its dual functionality at decreasing turnovers as well as increasing your players steals on defense. But you would prefer a player with 13 Handling 5 Driving over a player with 9 HA 9 Dri?

Advertisement