Suggestions > please please please stop free agents

please please please stop free agents

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
222853.10 in reply to 222853.8
Date: 8/3/2012 5:08:40 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Free agents saved this game. With lower prices teams have been able to fill out their rosters instead of waiting for that one transfer and saving up 4 seasons for it. With rosters filled, incomes are smaller, less money generated per team, less money to spend.
Currently there are more bargain players from managers than bargain free agents. This is good and retires a bunch of those high salary monsters (I hate it, but a few really good big men from Estonia have also retired, if I would of had 1mil on my bank account at their sell time, I would of bought atleast one out of 3).

I agree that "player renting" should be more expencive somehow. Free agents are not the cheap ones if we consider high salary players. 1mil is pretty high starting price for a 100k+ salary guy (depending on the skills ofcourse), but bargains are listed way below that.

This Post:
222853.11 in reply to 222853.10
Date: 8/3/2012 6:48:17 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
a ball 4 every1 some great comments here

coach regan - makes some good points but they wont make changes that r hard 2 code like changing injury rates but they can make changes that r easy to code

tough - thanks for explaining it so well, less supply more demand, remove free agents = prices go up so it is harder to rent guys for the playoffs

kukoc - i agree that they were needed way back in seasons 11-13 when the price of good players was way 2 high & it was difficult for young teams 2 ever get a good player

but u dont replace a drought with a flood

you dont want the cure to be worse than the problem

they need to turn on & turn off the free agents so that there is some sort of balance between demand and supply

this is supposed 2 be a basketball game not a stock market trading game

i have always agreed with the idea to lock playoff rosters much earlier @ least 3 weeks before the playoffs - that will make renting $200-300k monsters much harder

is anyone in a league where they havent seen massive selloffs & buys this week just 4 days from the playoffs? how do u plan with such short notice?

trade deadline would still be an exciting time if earlier like it is in the nba

This Post:
222853.12 in reply to 222853.11
Date: 8/3/2012 8:30:33 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
With moving the transfer deadline earlier, will also create a few problems. It will kill the transferlist completely, incase of a long injury you can not replace players before playoffs. I still think dropping GS by 2 levels on every transfer is a way to go. This will limit renting (for cup games and playoffs) and also limits the ability to flip players (day/week traders).
This allows you to get someone near your injured player level to atleast play for you. Might help out (after his GS is up), while you fix your regulars GS.

This Post:
222853.13 in reply to 222853.12
Date: 8/3/2012 8:46:12 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
i dont think moving the transfer deadline by two weeks would kill the transfer market. I mean looking now, transfer deadline is over, im looking for guys who will be suitable for next season already. User who know they are relegating, or users who are 4th/5th, will still be looking to offload/buy new guys for the next season.

I do like the idea of a GS drop by 2 levels. THis would reward users who are able to manage their game shape (ie: selling a player with high GS)... but if i buy a guy with proficient GS, it drops to respectable, thats not really a big issue for me.
Id like to extend ur suggestion to say that GS should be automatically set to mediocre after a purchase.

Injuries happen, and i think if you extended the trade deadline it would create scenario's where teams bench depth would have to increase. I think this would actually be really beneficial for the game. As the saying goes, you are only as good as your worst player.

This Post:
222853.14 in reply to 222853.13
Date: 8/3/2012 9:24:55 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
What if you move the transfer deadline 3 weeks. How many teams would be looking for players for the next season, knowing they will be paying 3-5 weeks of salary for those players to just play scrimmages. There is a difference, weather you take in guys for next season and pay no salarys (if you are out of playoffs) or buy a player you have to pay just to play scrimmages with.
The TL already dies a bit after playoffs starts. Most of the managers are waiting for the new salary calculation or a week they don't have to pay salarys. It's prolly the worst time to sell anything, you get a better price if you wait until the next season starts.

This Post:
222853.15 in reply to 222853.14
Date: 8/3/2012 10:44:14 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think moving it 3 weeks would be too much IMO. thats 6 extra regular season games. Either way, if the current 'lull' period of the transfer market is extended for, lets say in ur example 3 weeks... whats the impact? The transfer market is quiet for 3 more weeks.. but long term, no harm done right? It will just be an extention of the existing lull period that happens... the transfer market already has this, it will just be for longer? What is the negative impact of this? These are questions i dont really have the answer to.

In general, i think whenever BB make a change, they tend to do it slowly. Like with the salaries, they reduced high player salaries over the course of a couple of seasons.

So maybe next season they could introduce the above, to be at 1 week. See how it goes. Then push it another week the following season, or.. introduce the afore mentioned GS change.

Maybe there does need to be some kind of 'phasing out' of FA, maybe not altogether, but a slow change to the current structure, to, minimise sudden impact to the game, whilst still working out the benefit with them.

This Post:
222853.16 in reply to 222853.15
Date: 8/4/2012 2:59:18 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
You kind of miss the point of paying salaries vs not paying salaries.
I think I made it clear, that noone will buy players just to play them in scrimmages.

This Post:
222853.17 in reply to 222853.16
Date: 8/4/2012 9:01:34 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
like in the real world, free agents are finding their teams at the end/beginning of the season. Why dont you put all free agents on TL only at the very beginning of the season. One day after the draft, something like that. That would be much more fun than just being able to buy FA every day.

This Post:
222853.18 in reply to 222853.17
Date: 8/4/2012 9:41:59 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
that would float the transfer market at one point of the season, leading to inflated prices while lot of people are waiting then to this point which makes the game very static and punish people who ain't there at free agency.

Also there are free agent who are signed during the regular season afaik in europe, and pretty sure in NBA too. But the most get a contract during the start of a season, till the end of one in the fture so that there are just more during this point of the seasoN(also lot easier to sign through the Cap rules in the NBA)

This Post:
222853.19 in reply to 222853.16
Date: 8/4/2012 9:59:25 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
oh i know u made it clear, i just dont agree with you. The genreal concept of 'why pay for 3 weeks of salaries for a guy that you cant use in games that make a difference'' isnt strictly 100% true for all teams.
You comment suggests, that in the lull period of the transfer market, (which by my definition is roughly from now until next week or thereabouts, roughly.) ... that at the moment, in that period, nobody buys players unless they are for scrimmages. And i disagree with this. (I know your generalising, i know you dont mean 100% of people dont buy in this time, but i think the number is actually higher than you think).
Here are the types of users who buy during this period.

1) New users, because, well, they just dont know any better, and probably arent going to be playing finals anyways. But lets not count these guys.

2) People who know they are going to be relegated. This could be 8th, 7th or 6th placed teams eg: My league, the guy finishing 6th knows he will lose his relegation, so he is buying his team for next season. He doesnt want to wait until week 1 of the new season, where he has to fight other bidders for players, he wants to secure his team early and hit the ground running of week 1 of new season. They have the cash to spare to pay slightly higher purchase prices for players and are happy to pay salaries of cheaper players because more than likely, they are downgrading in total salary (ie: selling their expensive players, buy cheaper players because the new league wont support them).

3) Non-draft participants for the next season - Users not partaking in the draft, for whatever reason, but want a draftee for the following season, sometimesy look at the end of season because teams are often off-loading their failed 18 year old trainee from that year, or they have decided they dont want him anymore, doesnt fit into long term plans etc. Lull period is a good time buy a partially trained 18 year old, to train up the following year. and so what, $5k salary for a few weeks? is peanuts. In the new season, 95% of draftee's get off-loaded, and its just a free-for all, and good draftee's are hard to come by.... its actually harder, when there is so much choice, and so many people are bidding on the good players. So why not get in early i say.

4) Cashed up teams (not all cashed up teams, just cashed up teams willing to spend more cash)...... So in the lull period, the economics suggest that good players are harder to come across, and even though there are less buyers, Supply is still lower than demand and as such, prices are higher. Cashed up teams are willing to pay a little bit extra for players, AND pay the extra week or two in salaries, in order to secure the player they want.

5) Time-zone disadvantaged buyers - OK so this is a concept which is very odd concept. Due to the time zone differences, being here in Australia i tell u what.. can be very annoying sometimes! The majority of players being sold are from Europe/UsA time zones. which means the sale expiry is, 1am-7am Australia time...(depending on where you are and the time people put them on the market).... for example, of the 8 guys ive bookmarked for buying, 7 of them expiry in that time... ANNOYING! anyways it means that im up for buying guys whenever i can get them, and this may mean spending more dosh, during the lull period, as per item 4 above.

anyways sorry thats a long post. Im not disagreeing that there is a lull period in the transfer market, i just think there are enough numbers of teams who purchase players in this off-season period, (for reasons other than scrimmages) to warrant an extension of the current playoff-cut off time.
id like some stats around this! Currently 7500 players for sale on transfer list. what was it last week?

This Post:
222853.20 in reply to 222853.19
Date: 8/4/2012 3:04:37 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Just one remark, no tanking (money saving) team is going fill his rosters with salaries before the season is over (when you actually do not need to pay salaries. Why would you save up all that money to throw it away in those 3 weeks before playoffs.

On a side note we are drifting badly away from the free agent talks. There is a similar suggestion where the deadline etc are discussed, so perhaps we should continue there if interested.

Advertisement