BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > Fouls? Why are my players giving so many?

Fouls? Why are my players giving so many?

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
16349.13 in reply to 16349.12
Date: 2/17/2008 4:29:10 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
if this is the analogy how the game engine is doing then i think its crazy.

higher level of defense only mkakes a player relatively effective in defense, meaning his much more aware what to do.

if your having a awful defensive player his clumsy and its not about making a lot of fouls probably any opponent can score on that player.

one thing we have to consider is your opponent ability of level in his offense, but having a respectable or average guy on defense makes him more to foul more then its crazy!

why cant we hear from the bb about this. aside from stamina this is i notice one of the changes that happen. but where is the explanation to this. . .

This Post:
16349.14 in reply to 16349.13
Date: 2/18/2008 12:03:50 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
The BBs aren't going to hold your hand for every little part of the game.

You're expected to figure out some of the mechanics on your own.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
16349.15 in reply to 16349.13
Date: 2/18/2008 5:05:39 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
if this is the analogy how the game engine is doing then i think its crazy.

if your having a awful defensive player his clumsy and its not about making a lot of fouls probably any opponent can score on that player.

Well, it is somewhat realistic that a good defensive player gives more effort to play defense and therefore has more fouls against him. Take Alonzo Mourning as an example, a multiple defensive player of the year in the NBA who led the league in blocked shots per minute even when he was a reserve the last few years. He was outstanding on defense, but always in danger of fouling out because of it.

The way I could imagine it being implemented in BB is that a weak defensive player does not even make an effort to stop an opponent, and that opponent can breeze by him with little problem, so there is little danger for a foul being comitted.

Last edited by Zickzack at 2/18/2008 5:08:53 AM

This Post:
16349.16 in reply to 16349.15
Date: 2/18/2008 6:14:44 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think Handlind has a veru big impact on how much the player will have fouls...for example I looked at my players, thos who have bad handling make 2 or 3 times more fouls than players with good HN.....

Thats my opinion...HN influences fouls very much...

This Post:
16349.17 in reply to 16349.16
Date: 2/19/2008 7:28:17 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think Handlind has a veru big impact on how much the player will have fouls...for example I looked at my players, thos who have bad handling make 2 or 3 times more fouls than players with good HN.....

Thats my opinion...HN influences fouls very much...

I don't think this is accurate. Here are my players that foul a lot:

(2268579)
Handling: average

(2342139)
Handling: mediocre

(790523)
Handling: respectable

(2402768)
Handling: respectable

And here are my players who nearly never foul:

(708999)
Handling: inept

(708995)
Handling: awful

(864174)
Handling: awful

(709000)
Handling: pitiful

The more I look through my players, I think fouling can be attributed to any (or a combination) of these skills:
Outside defense
Inside defense
Shot blocking
Stamina

(http://www.buzzerbeater.com/community/fedoverview.aspx?fe...)
Keep your friend`s toast, and your enemy`s toaster.
This Post:
16349.18 in reply to 16349.17
Date: 2/19/2008 5:25:39 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

The more I look through my players, I think fouling can be attributed to any (or a combination) of these skills:
Outside defense
Inside defense
Shot blocking
Stamina

Which is absolutely logical and was what I suggested a while ago.

I don't see how handling should have to do anything with fouling. Handling is the ability to dribble the ball. It might have something to do with offensive fouls, but that's about it, and the connection is not that clear-cut at all.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
16349.19 in reply to 16349.18
Date: 2/19/2008 6:10:18 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

Outside defense
Inside defense
Shot blocking
Stamina

Which is absolutely logical and was what I suggested a while ago.

Sorry I missed that, I've been monitoring this thread alongside the "Fouls" thread in the Help forum.

So using the players I posted above, I'll provide their OD, ID, SB, and Stamina.

Here are my players that foul a lot:

(2268579)
Outside defense: average
Inside defense: mediocre
Shot blocking: atrocious
Stamina: inept

(2342139)
Outside defense: average
Inside defense: pitiful
Shot blocking: respectable
Stamina: awful

(790523)
Outside defense: atrocious
Inside defense: average
Shot blocking: mediocre
Stamina: mediocre

(2402768)
Outside defense: respectable
Inside defense: mediocre
Shot blocking: pitiful
Stamina: respectable

And here are my players who nearly never foul:

(708999)
Outside defense: awful
Inside defense: proficient
Shot blocking: atrocious
Stamina: average

(708995)
Shot blocking: average
Stamina: respectable

(864174)
Outside defense: awful
Inside defense: strong
Shot blocking: average
Stamina: proficient

(709000)
Shot blocking: strong
Stamina: average

This makes me almost certain that fouls have a bit to do with the position of a player on the court and the skills of their opponent in collusion with their own skill set. So a player who fouls rather often in one position may not in another position (and vice versa).

This Post:
16349.20 in reply to 16349.19
Date: 2/19/2008 6:17:48 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I would imagine the type of fouling has to be followed through.

Crappy perimeter defenders will probably pick up fouls on perimeter shots. Crappy inside defenders - on inside shots. Crappy shotblockers - probably on both, though I suspect this skill might be used a bit more often for inside shots.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
16349.21 in reply to 16349.20
Date: 2/19/2008 7:39:19 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I agree. The definition of inside shot may need to be clarified for this, though I assume it pertains to anything inside the 3pt arc.

I'll be studying my game tonight to see who fouls and on what type of shot.

This Post:
16349.22 in reply to 16349.21
Date: 2/19/2008 7:47:13 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I agree. The definition of inside shot may need to be clarified for this, though I assume it pertains to anything inside the 3pt arc.

I am not sure about that. The match commentary is sometimes helpful (at least the English version): when it says "goes strongly for an inside shot" or "pulls up for a jumper". However, from what I remember, both of these can happen otuside the paint but within the three-point circle.

My hunch is that 'inside shot' must be anything within the paint. I haven't seen much evidence of my centers with crappy JS hitting shots inside the three-point line. But then again, I have no factual evidence for that. Maybe I should pay specific attention for this my next league match.

This Post:
16349.23 in reply to 16349.22
Date: 2/19/2008 7:54:01 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

I am not sure about that. The match commentary is sometimes helpful (at least the English version): when it says "goes strongly for an inside shot" or "pulls up for a jumper". However, from what I remember, both of these can happen otuside the paint but within the three-point circle.

My hunch is that 'inside shot' must be anything within the paint. I haven't seen much evidence of my centers with crappy JS hitting shots inside the three-point line. But then again, I have no factual evidence for that. Maybe I should pay specific attention for this my next league match.

I thought I'd heard someone in a position of authority assert that the skill Inside Shot referred to all shots taken from inside the 3pt arc. I can't find the exact quote right now so I can't say who said it or what was said. I'm doubting, however, that the comment was in reference to inside defense.

At any rate, I'll be watching carefully during my game tonight (starts in 7 minutes) and will go through my match archive when I get some more free time to spend on this subject.

Advertisement