NEW U21 UPDATE

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
129261.14 in reply to 129261.13
Date: 2/22/2010 2:39:53 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Hello Everyone

Our U21 run is than finally over. We played CT with 4 enthusiasm (after last weeks CT) vs Bulgarias Tie.

I knew Bulgaria would play an inside offense and I knew we would never put up an inside defense matching that. not in a million years, so I took a gamble and the gamble didnt pay off.

I played a 3-2 defense with a motion offense, hoping that we could stop their guards passing balls to their bigs, but it didnt work. We got heavily outrebounded and that made more than the difference.

Once again the most disappointing thing was that I couldnt field our best players, simply because their GS is fooked. I did contact several coaches AGAIN the last 2 weeks reminding them I need their players, but also telling them what benefit they have from a good managed gameshape. It clearly shows that some people dont understand or dont want to understand.

We have some good 20 and 21 year old players, but their coaches cant seem to manage their gameshape and that cost us a bit. Besides that, have to be honest, I believe we have gotten the best out off this group off players and it is time for the people that think they can do better and always patronise me and criticise me, take it over and do better than the 6-3 score we got. 6-2 before the knockout phase. I only lost vs germany u21 and canada u21. I am proud off my achievement and cant wait to see certain other people do better than me... To get us to the next level we need to beat countries like germany, canada or bulgaria U21 and I cant see that happen. (talked to the bulgaria coach tonight and they have 50+ on gamedays on chat). But miracles exsist and i wish the new U21 all the best.

Moominpapa

This Post:
129261.15 in reply to 129261.14
Date: 2/22/2010 3:38:18 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
euhm, don't know what to think of your gamble really...

just want to point out, if you are going to try and prevent their guards from passing the ball up (what i wouldn't recommend at any given moment!) then i'd think it would slightely be more logical going iwth the 1-3-1, getting the extra pressure on that PG fast...

but then again, i'll be honest to say that i wouldn't go with the 3-2 zone hoping to stop their bigs from passing...

i'd expect a 3-2 to open up EVEN more room for the Bigs to do their stuff... but then again, in your situation, you had to go with a gamble, the gamble didn't pay off.

from what i've seen you did some good work. whoever will be the next U21 coach, it will be important that he knows how to train U21 players ( preferably he would have had some experience on a good working NT team, that way, he knows wht to look for on players) and the staff surrounding him will also be very important. cause a U21 team on your own, that's hard to pull off. so in that aspect, you did more than great Astra

hats of for ya achievements with the U21, and let's pray that the next U21 coach will be able to continue your work and expand the U21 staff aswell. cause more staff ==> easier to track dow more talents and monitor more talents ==> more talents getting trained, more competition for the spots ==> more competition, will result in better players ==> better U21 ==> better NT

so the next U21 coach knows what he needs to do. get some staff would be a good start, and preferably some people from england or who have ties to england ( if the coach were to be a forreigner)

Rev

This Post:
129261.16 in reply to 129261.14
Date: 2/22/2010 4:32:07 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Great run Astra, too bad it had to end but at least it was a loss to a superior team. I know the GS issue has been ongoing for both NT's and with that in mind I think you got more than could be expected out of what was available. Well done.

This Post:
129261.17 in reply to 129261.14
Date: 2/22/2010 4:57:12 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Everyone has to admit that it was a really difficult game so,you should be sure that no one will blame you for this...I agree although with Revo that 3-2 was a not a very good choice just because the big difference in rebounding but the priority order is deffence-rebounding-offense so in this point of view there was not any other choice..In addition the most important player for this game(reffering to young,i saw his skills in TL last week)was bad shaped so...
England had a quite good team this season and this was proved in to the court,it may havent got to difficult games(could be worse surely)but it is a fact that went through the knock out round,this is some kind of succes..There are countries with more users and doing worse..Just think that England is nearly the same as Hellas(hellas has more than 2000 users)and if you add to this that active users in forum as long as i read are less than 20...But the main job for a U21 team is to train players and in this case(i do not know what was your job,next 2 seasons will prove it)i think that England should be better..I am working with absolutely less players and having some players that would be good for England too...And i cannot understand why this happening to this country,users have the main responsibility for sure..But this idea to keep players in good teams is not very good,just keep them in teams that can train them
I can feel you,when you are very happy when someone seems to be interested in U21 NT..I am U21 Malta s coach and noone seem to be interested,but in Englang you have many users to try to making them active(this threat is a very good start but seems it doesnt work eh?good try although)...Maybe some games or other tricks could be useful,but who knows?There are some countries with a large number of people on their forums..Have you ever thought what is their secret recipe?I don t know it but it could be some good start for the community...

This Post:
129261.18 in reply to 129261.14
Date: 2/23/2010 11:17:21 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Congratulations for your caimpaign. You did what you had to do to get to this phase, and now you needed to take risks. You took and they went wrong. But if you had not taken them, the result would be the same, so you had nothing to lose.

So again, congratulations for your good work and good luck for the future ;)

This Post:
129261.19 in reply to 129261.10
Date: 2/24/2010 1:00:53 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well done Astra you put a lot of time and effort into the team and did a great job with the players and help available.
I think the English community was lucky to have you represent them and the U21 team and i hope that in the future you will still do things every now and again to help :)

Lets hope we can all do our bit to help and encourage others to help to make the U21 a stronger team in the future.

Ive been inspired by what ive seen and i will be doing my best from now on to help the U21s in whatever way i can - whether helping to scout or training some guys myself one day.

We can do it!

Fluff

This Post:
129261.20 in reply to 129261.19
Date: 3/5/2010 4:56:57 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
A bit late, but congratulations on a wonderful campaign! I bet no one expected us to get that far, an impressive feat!

This Post:
129261.21 in reply to 129261.20
Date: 3/5/2010 7:41:37 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Hello congrats on the campaign, i really didn't understand the importance of Dillion to England, I publicly apologise for getting his GS wrong on more than a couple of occasions.

This Post:
129261.22 in reply to 129261.21
Date: 3/5/2010 11:46:59 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
dillion is probably the best shooting guard we have for the U21...

i think you, like so many people dont understand how important gameshape is, not only for the U21 team but also for your own team.

Look at my guards, Ortiz and Guardia. You will see player ratings between 9 and 11,5. 9 is what I get when their gameshape is respectable, 11,5 when it is strong or proficient.

Imagine all your players have a rating off 8 when they play with respectable gameshape and all have 10 when they play with strong or proficient gameshape. that means with 10 players on your roster, this is a difference off 20 points. which is alot.

Last edited by Astragoth at 3/5/2010 11:47:31 AM

Message deleted
This Post:
129261.24 in reply to 129261.1
Date: 3/8/2010 10:03:12 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Hello

I messed up today. I organised a scrimmage with Moldavia and for whatever reason I thought the game would be played at 1730. When I logged on at 1516, I noticed the game was being played at 1530 and that therefore I no longer could set up a line up.

I am very sorry for that guys.

It is really time someone takes over soon.

Moominpapa