BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > Growing BB (Referrals)

Growing BB (Referrals)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
67615.14 in reply to 67615.13
Date: 1/7/2009 12:53:11 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
very good summery. think you are spot on by saying that there are many help tools, websites that provide a lot off help with hattrick.

It would be good to have more available in bb.

I dont know if it is implementable in this game, or if the developers feel up to the task, but a website based or downloadable tool like hattrick organizer would really make a huge difference in my opinion...

This Post:
67615.15 in reply to 67615.14
Date: 1/7/2009 1:02:00 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Reading Astragoth's + BlackMouse's discussion is very interesting and it helps me to add to my earlier thoughts:

HT is difficult if you want it to be difficult. BB is difficult by default. That to me is the singular problem.

This Post:
67615.16 in reply to 67615.15
Date: 1/7/2009 1:46:51 PM
Freccia Azzurra
IV.18
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Slaytanic
BB is not so "easy" to understand but for this reason is 100 times better than HT. Here the time you've to spend if you want to improve is less than HT, if you want to arrive in IVth division (Italian div) you've to spend hours on the market making day trading, no tactic and no way to hope that something can change soon in HT.
Sorry for the OT but BB has more fun (3 games) with less minutes (if you really want to try to arrive in the first division).

1990-2022 Stalinorgel - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pV-Xppl6h8Et
This Post:
67615.17 in reply to 67615.15
Date: 1/7/2009 1:50:04 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
When I read the posts about BB being difficult, especially in comparison to HT, some things crossed my mind.

A lot of you (like myself) 'transferred' from Hattrick to BuzzerBeater. We all made the same kind of thoughts like "what should be the main skill for this or that position". It was a natural reflex to use the structure of thinking we know from HT. But this is a different game with other rules. A good new player reads the manual and searches on the forums. This way you get started in BB rather quickly. Especially when knowing the basics in basketball and using your common sense.

HT is difficult if you want it to be difficult. BB is difficult by default. That to me is the singular problem.

I think BB is well balanced: challenging for every user, but not so difficult that newbies can't handle it.

But I guess this thread is about finding ideas to attract new users and keep them, not about HTvsBB or about the standard difficulty lvl of this game itself, which is a fact and can't be changed.

Climbing the BB-mountain. Destination: the top.
This Post:
67615.18 in reply to 67615.17
Date: 1/7/2009 2:00:06 PM
MightyMice
IV.37
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
CrazyCrabs
A good new player reads the manual and searches on the forums.

That's a relevant point.

A new player wants to open the game and play, with a minimal (minimal) set of ground rules to know. A good new player read manual etc.

HT is perceived as easier, because attack is attack, defense is defense, goalkeeping is goalkeeping. It's a fake, but a credible one. In basketball all players attack and defend, and you cannot perceive that as "easy" or "immediate".

And that is why I personally love BB more than HT

this thread is about finding ideas to attract new users and keep them

In fact, to attract people use "viral" marketing: we are enthousiastic of BB because it's the best game. Keep people making the first time experience as much attracting as you can. I saw many people entering in my conference and playing just 1 game.

This Post:
67615.20 in reply to 67615.19
Date: 1/7/2009 2:27:38 PM
MightyMice
IV.37
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
CrazyCrabs
complexity, not compliant. At least, not too me and an exciting one.

"it depends upon my team's philosophy".

I don't like the assistant. However, I would like (when I was a newbie ;)) to have information based on what I want to do. At the beginning (so close to me...) I had to decide among that variety of options that make BB exciting. But let's say I wish to play R&G, which are the players (aka shooters) should I pick up? Or if I want to dominate the defense, what should I pick up? It's similar to choose attackers, defenders and goalkeepers in HT, and even there that does not mean that's the best team - look at secondary skills and overall balance!

So, no smart coach (or we can make him to play instead of us), and freedom to do experiment (and tomorrow I will challenge princeton once more!)

This Post:
67615.21 in reply to 67615.19
Date: 1/7/2009 2:53:28 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
would it be possible to set a tactic and have an "assistant coach" help you pick the best players?? (like a suggestion from the coach, not the best available)

That way you make it easier for players that cant be bothered however you dont make it too easy. What I mean to say is that it would still be possible for people to pick the wrong tactics... so that the people that really want to spend time on the team can scout the opponent and pick the suitable tactics and than ask the coach for help or pick the players themselves??

I dont know if something like this or something similar to this would be possible.

The assistant coach doesnt necessarily make the best possible decision, but helps?

i dont know if it is clear what I am trying to say you understand... I hope you do :)

This Post:
67615.22 in reply to 67615.19
Date: 1/7/2009 3:14:12 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Don't call it "Set best line up"

Call it "Have assistant choose line up" and overweigh some factors, so that it'll pick the optimum player for each position 66% of the time, or something. This is not the end of the world for the newbie and the faults are easily discoverable once players start to do some research.

This Post:
67615.23 in reply to 67615.11
Date: 1/7/2009 3:37:27 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Im very enjoying buzzerbeater and want alot of my friends to play it.
Well, not every one like thoose kind of games...
i Told to like a 10 and i think 5 still playing

This Post:
67615.24 in reply to 67615.19
Date: 1/7/2009 3:53:50 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I personally do not mind the complexity. I do not want to play a mindless game like HT - that's why I quit and came here. BB is not incredibly complex really - it is just more complex than HT.

The only thing I can echo from a previous poster is to expand the game rules and/or feedback on the site. For example, there are many things that are still unclear in the rules. There were recent changes to fast paced offenses, for example, but we see no mention of that in the rules. I notice that most users in my division make no use of enthusiasm. Some have been around for as long as me. There must be something they're not getting about it.

In terms of feedback, we have the "game ratings", "pts per 100 shots" and individual ratings of each player. All have their weakness, with pts per 100 shots being the most useful. What this means is - in order to scout my opponent well, I would have to watch his live games. That is a very high time investment.

Also, there are "hidden variables" in the game that are vaguely hinted at in the rules. That was something that I had trouble coming to grips with.

In summary: more transparency would go a long way to helping new (and current) users.

Run of the Mill Canadian Manager
Advertisement