BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > The Quest for the Formulas

The Quest for the Formulas (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
46657.149 in reply to 46657.148
Date: 06/19/2009 11:03:35
Overall Posts Rated:
Here is something to think about re: fouls. A player's defensive abilities are only reduced if they are considered to be in foul trouble. However, if you play "sit them", then players in foul trouble will usually be put on the bench. So, in order to see the full impact of fouls on team ratings, you'd have to look at matches where you use "let them play".

Run of the Mill Canadian Manager
This Post:
46657.151 in reply to 46657.150
Date: 06/19/2009 11:44:51
Overall Posts Rated:
I very rarely use let them play.

Once I scored a basket that still makes me laugh.
This Post:
46657.152 in reply to 46657.150
Date: 06/19/2009 21:06:55
Overall Posts Rated:

I'd assume most people use "let them play", would you agree?

I would never use "let them play" if it was a game that I wanted to win. The only reason I use it is for training purposes... Guys in foul trouble defend like wimps.

I also have a "feeling" that if you leave guys in foul trouble on the court they take fouls easier and are more likely to foul out. I have no proof - it is just a hypothesis.

By the way, there is only an impact on defense if the guy is considered to be in "foul trouble". At least that's the way I've seen the BBs explain it. So a slight correction to your above statement:

if you play "sit them", there is no impact based on the number of fouls

The only impact on ratings would be if the sub while he is on the bench is better/worse than the guy who is sitting.

This Post:
46657.153 in reply to 46657.152
Date: 06/19/2009 21:27:43
Overall Posts Rated:
I only use "let them play" if it's a game I really want to win and keep my best players on the court until they foul out.

I don't agree with the "feeling" you have because I have often seen guys get 4 fouls in the first quarter and then not foul out until the end of the fourth. Not that you are wrong, just that's what I have seen.

This Post:
46657.154 in reply to 46657.153
Date: 06/19/2009 22:03:12
Overall Posts Rated:
I only use "let them play" if it's a game I really want to win and keep my best players on the court until they foul out.

You have to live with the crappy defense if your best players get in foul trouble, though. The only reason BBs gave the option is because people asked for it, not because it is an optimal strategy.

I don't agree with the "feeling" you have because I have often seen guys get 4 fouls in the first quarter and then not foul out until the end of the fourth. Not that you are wrong, just that's what I have seen.

You may be right. I've never really been sure but I've seen a couple of weird cases where a guy in foul trouble will take a bunch of fouls in a row and foul out in a short time period. Could just be a fluke for those games. Anyhow, I asked this question in global a while back and no one answered.

I know that the main reason players foul is their physicality level. However, fouling must be impacted by defensive and offensive skills - at least a little. So if they're defending worse then they must be more foul prone.

On the other hand, when the BBs explained that players in foul trouble defend worse, they also said this is because they're trying not to foul. So maybe they foul less? There is just too much about this game that I don't understand.

This Post:
46657.155 in reply to 46657.154
Date: 06/20/2009 00:15:20
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm not sure the defense is "crappy" especially compared to my second string...

For example, I'd rather have Kobe Bryant at 70% than Jordan Farmar at 100% in a close or important game.

I don't know what other people have experienced or think, but I think that for some offensive tactics, players with high driving skills will be fouled more often. For others, players with high inside shot skills will be fouled more often. for an example of this, check out my last PL game! I too am still in a fog as to how the game works, which is something I actually kind of like. I prefer to try and use my knowledge of the real game of basketball and see how it goes rather than figure out the math that it really is. Not to say that I don't read and try like hell to understand Josef Ka's valuable work.

This Post:
46657.156 in reply to 46657.155
Date: 06/20/2009 05:17:27
The In Your Face Dunkers
IV.3
Overall Posts Rated:
I always use "let them play" and don't regret it. But you need not so crappy bench (second unit with some defense-"let's score 4-4 for the next 4 minutes") and this is quite important.

This Post:
46657.157 in reply to 46657.153
Date: 06/20/2009 06:05:05
Overall Posts Rated:

That reminded me one older game (10986009) that could be good bit for a research, lots of fouls in first quarter and several fouled outs (second game of a season me tieing first one, the opponent CTed; this game both TIEd).

Advertisement