Help - English > PF playing as SF

PF playing as SF

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
111222.15 in reply to 111222.14
Date: 9/16/2009 7:00:43 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Like you said, they are exceptions to the rule. Barkley is listed as 6'6, but Barkley was a "heavy guy" in the way he played. And 6'6 isn't too small for a PF. If you look around in the NBA you won't find many, but there are guys like Jason Maxiell that play a lot of undersized minutes.

Second thing, I'm not complaining. I really like this game, and as far as I understand these guys are trying to create a thing as close to reality as possible, so I don't see why I shouldn't participate in discussions and give suggestions. I'm not saying everything I argue is absolutely right, I'm open to arguing and agreeing on the best solution.

All the examples you give are correct. Dirk Nowitzki is a great shooter but he's not a ball handler. There's nothing wrong with big men who can shoot, in the NBA lots of PF's come out to shoot the 3-ball. LeBron, Magic, Durant are 6'8, 6'9 which I still find reasonable and are exceptional players (Durant's not there yet, but he'll get there I think). But tell me if you have ever seen a 7-foot point guard.

My point is, an exceptional player can play everywhere on the court, but there are no average 6'4 Centers or 6'10 PG's, let alone 5'11 C's and 7'1 PG's

This Post:
111222.16 in reply to 111222.15
Date: 9/16/2009 7:40:32 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
and there are not top level 5'11 c's or 7'1 pg's here because its just too hard to train them to be so.
the system is fine and does not need, and i hope it does not get changes.

we haven't even mentioned how much it would screw up the economy.

This Post:
111222.17 in reply to 111222.16
Date: 9/17/2009 5:51:11 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
One thing I would like to know is the following. When new players are generated for the draft, I imagine their potentials are generated randomly, but is their height also random?

Imagine the following example. Your scouts gather information on 2 different PF's, they both have 5-star ability, but one is 6'0 and has 5-star potential and the other one has 4-star potential and is 6'10. Since you don't know their heights you're going to pick the 6'0 first because this guy has more potential when he actually doesn't. See what I mean?

This Post:
111222.18 in reply to 111222.17
Date: 9/17/2009 5:58:30 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
One thing I would like to know is the following. When new players are generated for the draft, I imagine their potentials are generated randomly, but is their height also random?

i think in the way you mean it yes ;)

But hight plays a role, on distributing skills, bigger player most likely get better big guy skills and small players get most likely small guy skills.

Imagine the following example. Your scouts gather information on 2 different PF's, they both have 5-star ability, but one is 6'0 and has 5-star potential and the other one has 4-star potential and is 6'10. Since you don't know their heights you're going to pick the 6'0 first because this guy has more potential when he actually doesn't. See what I mean?

he still get more potential, maybe not as a PF but maybe he would be a great SG/SF soon.

This Post:
111222.19 in reply to 111222.18
Date: 9/17/2009 6:56:13 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for your reply. Instead of a random distribution couldn't you make a gaussian distribution?

I know height plays a role in training, but I've seen 6'0 guys start with reasonable inside skills. As for my example I understand that the guy with bigger potential has a higher ceiling. But you're not getting what you think you're getting. For example, if you are in real need of a good PF, if besides their skill and potential you knew their heights you would always take the 2nd guy. And the first guy has a 5-star skill as a PF, so he can be a long way from becoming a good SG or SF. I'm just saying because it happened to me in my draft. I wanted to draft a big guy and I drafted 2 PF's, one was 6'4 the other was 6'5. I had to sell the first one, which was my first pick, and I'm turning the second into a SF. So my first pick was kind of wasted in that sense. Don't you think that besides skill, potential and age one should also scout players' heights?

This Post:
111222.20 in reply to 111222.19
Date: 9/17/2009 7:37:59 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for your reply. Instead of a random distribution couldn't you make a gaussian distribution?

isn't Gaussian a random funktion?

I know height plays a role in training, but I've seen 6'0 guys start with reasonable inside skills. As for my example I understand that the guy with bigger potential has a higher ceiling. But you're not getting what you think you're getting. For example, if you are in real need of a good PF, if besides their skill and potential you knew their heights you would always take the 2nd guy.

i would take the most promising guy and sell him and get one from the transfer list for my training ;) Because you ahd to be very lucky to find someone who fit in your training plan.

This Post:
111222.21 in reply to 111222.20
Date: 9/17/2009 9:47:09 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
When I say random I mean that it is equally probable for a player to have any height between 5'9 and 7'6. A gaussian distribution would be centered on some point and have a certain width. For instance, for C's it could be centered at 7'0 with a width of 2 inches. This means 68% of the C's generated would have height's between 6'10 and 7'2, with 7'0 being the most probable outcome. Then you would have 13% between 7'2 and 7'4 and 13% between 6'8 and 6'10, and 2% above 7'4 and another 2% below 6'8, etc.

I didn't have a training plan, this guy I drafted is my main prospect, so the training plan is all around him :P. Buying guys on the TL is a good option, but I'd need a lot of money to get a really good prospect and I don't have it right now, so I'm just waiting to grab someone forgotten by everyone else on the cheap

This Post:
111222.22 in reply to 111222.21
Date: 9/17/2009 11:52:22 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
A gaussian distribution would be centered on some point and have a certain width

a gaussian distibution, normally fills the full room of prohability ;) And as i said in my first post to you, this is actually implemented.

Maybe you could watch for centers below 1.85 with more then 3k salary and 18 year old(for them training shouldn't matter). You will find 141 point guard with this requirement, but just 4 centers.
The skills are distributed, depending on the heigth, so big player have good chanches to get high center skills, and bad chanches to get low guars skills - so it will fit in the end ;) The most players who aren't in the expected range are easily to train to the "expected" positions, or full morons(thats why i made also the limit with the salary).

I didn't have a training plan, this guy I drafted is my main prospect, so the training plan is all around him :P

So train him in the position who fit to his size, not the position the sytem gives him.

This Post:
111222.23 in reply to 111222.22
Date: 9/17/2009 4:00:44 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Ok, I didn't know how it worked, but if it's a gaussian distribution then it makes sense. Thanks for your replies and I am training my 6'5 guy to be an SF ;)

This Post:
111222.24 in reply to 111222.23
Date: 9/17/2009 5:45:25 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I believe what he was trying to say is "uniform" distribution.

Either way, since no-one has bothered to check whether there is some relationship between height and the initial distribution of skills (quite easy to do, by the way), I don't see how we can talk about changing it already.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
111222.25 in reply to 111222.15
Date: 9/17/2009 7:57:02 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Nor are there in Buzzerbeater. I don't know about you, but in the three leagues I follow the smallest big is a 6'6 PF, who just happened to be an exceptional 18 year old with hall of fame potential during the time the team was created. Also a 6'6 C who comes off the bench. So the system obviously isn't broke. Most of the guys that are too little move to smaller positions and vice versa(for example, a team in my old league drafted a 3.5k 6'4 PF in the first round, 2 seasons later he's a 5.5k SF)

And Dirk is an EXCEPTIONAL driver, I have no idea what you are talking about. He's not exactly going to be a point guard, but he can take his man off the dribble from the perimeter any day of the week.

Advertisement