Season 25

Set priority
Show messages by

To: TnT
This Post:
248324.154 in reply to 248324.151
Date: 9/22/2013 12:47:09 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Sure if you correctly predict your opponent is going to play RnG you'll get the boost, but if you then also play 2-3, you are going to be having a disadvantage due to your poor choice of defense. Since we really don't know the impact of the boost, perhaps this ends up being a wash and your 2-3 now works against RnG as if you had chosen 3-2. Or perhaps it's more akin to just a very well played 2-3 stretching to cover RnG.

In reality it isn't actually true to say that there is one form of Motion/Look Inside/Run & Gun/2-3/3-2/Man to Man/etc. And teams even play multiple versions of the same offense/defense based on not only their opponent but who they have on the floor at any one time. I don't expect we will ever be able to duplicate that in BB. I'm going to choose to look at the new predict tactic feature as essentially that - a team modifying the base of an offense/defense to contend with the specifics they expect from their opponent.

People are also acting like the proposed prediction feature is somehow going to guarantee teams a victory. I certainly don't get that from the news post. It sounds to me like a strong LI (or any other offense) is still going to be able to play that offense against a team they would beat easily and win - even if their opponent correctly predicts they are going to be playing LI. It will likely just be a closer game than it otherwise might have been.

And since there are no teams that actually are built for just one offense (find me a LI team that can't also play at least LP and most likely BO fairly well) it's fairly easy to increase the risk a team is taking by trying to predict your tactics, and getting a bonus yourself from their wrong prediction. If you have a 50/50 chance of either getting a boost or suffering a penalty against an opponent you typically expect a close game against, do you take the risk or not? What if the odds of getting the boost are only 33% but the odds for the penalty are 67%?

This Post:
248324.155 in reply to 248324.153
Date: 9/22/2013 12:51:36 PM
DK Shaolins
I.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Indeed, BB_Patrick answered earlier the question

Let me get back to you on this, but I'm 99% sure it also affects potential caps.

This Post:
248324.156 in reply to 248324.153
Date: 9/22/2013 1:10:50 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah, looks like I misunderstood something:)

This Post:
248324.157 in reply to 248324.155
Date: 9/22/2013 1:23:33 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Indeed, BB_Patrick answered earlier the question

Let me get back to you on this, but I'm 99% sure it also affects potential caps.

What that means is that if you have a player who has capped, and that player has at least some JR or some SB, then that player should revert back to "almost capped" again, where you can still train him.

Unless you continued training that player a lot even after he capped out.

"Air is beautiful, yet you cannot see it. It's soft, yet you cannot touch it. Air is a little like my brain." - Jean-Claude Van Damme
This Post:
248324.158 in reply to 248324.135
Date: 9/22/2013 2:05:58 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Will the prediction of defense change apply for NTs as well

I'm interested as well, since NTs (and U21 NT) play only LI, this would be good to see at that level. Maybe someone will try something new.

This Post:
248324.159 in reply to 248324.158
Date: 9/22/2013 5:07:08 PM
Edson Rush
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
I like all of the changes made this season except for being able to guess your opponents tactics. Before, just like in real basketball, teams chose tactics that suited the skills of their own players and possibly countered those of their opponents. You don't play better against a certain team by simply knwoing their tactics, but by adjusting your own tactics to counter their's.With the new change, teams will be constantly switching up their tactics, not because it will allow their team to play as well as they can, but because they are scared their opponents will guess their tactics. This new situation is not only not very realistic, but it also decreases the usefulness of tactics. While its true that most teams can play multiple offenses, as many of them are similar, the real problem is defense since they are all quite different and playing one over the other can hurt a team in important areas. For this reason, I think the BBs should do away with this change or only allow teams to guess their opponents offensive tactics.

This Post:
248324.160 in reply to 248324.159
Date: 9/22/2013 5:44:51 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I can up the 99% to 100%. The SB/JR change also affects potential caps, and as a direct result this could also mean previously capped players now dropped below their cap again.

This Post:
248324.161 in reply to 248324.126
Date: 9/22/2013 7:45:15 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Again, I don't see how you can state the GE is the root of the tactical imbalance if so many people train players to fit only one tactic.

Of course you're right as most of the top players have been trained for LI.

But maybe a different assumption can be made? Perhaps the users figured out many seasons ago that LI was the best tactic even if it was just a small advantage. Perhaps this was just a fact or prehaps it evolved because bigs trained faster on their primaries than guards and everyone trained OD to high levels on perimeter players which killed most of the outside based offenses. Because all that has happened some alteration in the game engine is clearly necessary to bring back the equilibrium that the original users had intended with the tactics and to help force the users to start training different builds.

Advertisement