BB Sports Network

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
14411.157 in reply to 14411.156
Date: 12/26/2008 11:36:17 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Classics Pull Through in Gritty Win Over Deacons Cambuac Norte

The Coffee Makers showed they were made of stern stuff when they outlasted the Deacons to the tune of 100-91. Trailing 44-43 at half-time, the Classics maintained their composure and wrested the lead for good in the 3rd quarter. The Classics' stifling pressure defense resulted in 26 turn-overs for the Deacons, a handicap they were not able to solve the whole game.

For the 2nd straight game, Ricson Ritualo was out, forcing the team to look for offensive options elsewhere. Again, PF Daniel Muyco led the way with 23 points (10-17 attempts), 10 boards, 2 steals, and 2 assists. Center Janio Niño, inserted in the starting line-up for Boris Tugushev came away with a career night, scoring 20 points, 13 rebounds, 4 steals, and a shot-block. The Classics' front line held their own against the Deacons' vaunted trio of PF Julian Royeras, and centers Hansen Hijastro and Rayden Tocmo who combined for 46 points and 41 rebounds.

Jan Janasiak finished with only 11 points (5 of 24 FG) but contributed a team-high 7 steals along with 6 dimes. Gracijus Bridis, replacing an ineffective Galius Boveris (25% from the field), chipped in 10 points and 5 boards.

Yannick Sincère finished with 7 assists and almost lost the game for the Coffee Makers when he uncharacteristically flubbed 2 free-throws at the height of the Deacon's late rally in the 4th quarter. He finished with 6 points, all from free throws (60%) and none from the field (0 of 5 attempts).

"We'll take this win, even if it was ugly," a beaming GM F.A. Cruz announced at the post-game press conference. "We still need a lot of work on our free throws and our three-point shooting. That is what we miss most from our former players. But on the brighter side, our team is very young and we could only get better. Janio was a revelation as well as Gracijus. We knew they were good, but not this good."

"I am happy with the efforts of our point guards, even though their scoring touch (a combined 1 of 8) was off this night. When we traded for our back court, we were looking for assists and steals. We got them in spades. Yan and Ed are just what we need, and having Jan's street-smart passing is a sweet bonus. We'll continue to need help in the rebounding department as we spotted the Deacons by 14 rebounds," Head Coach I.L. Ganzo commented on the performance of his players.

Next on their schedule is ever-dangerous Musketeers Pangjulo, led by shooting guards Alex Magsipoc and Arniel Villaruel who combine for 34.1 PPG.

Last edited by Fridrik at 12/27/2008 10:12:44 PM

This Post:
14411.158 in reply to 14411.157
Date: 12/27/2008 10:58:13 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Coffee Makers Coast to Easy 110-88 Win Over Musketeers Pangjulo

All the Classics needed was an explosive start to put the game beyond reach. Shooting a red hot 73% from the field (6 of 8 from beyond the arc), the Coffee Makers stamped its class over the hapless Musketeers in the 1st quarter with a 46-22 thrashing. So effective was their offense that all of them scored, save for Admir Gartnar, who nevertheless chalked up 1 assist and 2 steals in 6 minutes.

The wild and woolly quarter saw the Musketeers cough up the ball 9 times due to the pressure defense of the Classics. Arniel Villaruel was the main culprit as he lost the ball 5 times in that stretch. "I was swarmed all over. It felt like going through a buzz-saw," lamented Villaruel.

"We were not very effective against Magsipoc and Villaruel. They still scored a combined 31 points. But we did make life hard for Magsipoc (7 of 19 FG) and forced him into making bad decisions with his shots," observed Jan Janasiak. The wily SG made only 4 of 10 from the field, but 3 of those were treys. He compensated on the defensive end with 5 caroms and 5 steals.

The Musketeers never threatened at all after that disastrous 1st quarter effort. "We prepared against them, but they were too much. It was impossible to guard against so many scoring threats," said the losing coach. In fact, seven Classics players scored in double digits.

"No disrespect intended, but our boys just went out and had fun on the court. Everyone had decent minutes. In fact, no one played more than 27 minutes. That just shows how balanced we have become and how deep we are right now. When Ric-Ric comes back, we'd be unstoppable," Head Coach I.M Ganzo gushed.

Gracijus Bridis, coming off a scintillating 35 point, 10 rebound performance in their scrimmage against Ural Great (Classics won 134-114, exploding for 51 points in the pivotal 3rd quarter), led the balanced scoring attack with 19 points. Veteran Galius Boveris at last showed his form with 16 points. Rookie PF Daniel Muyco only scored 5 points, as he spent half of the game cheering on his team-mates from the sidelines. "I don't care about my stats as long as we win. I'm very happy to be a Classic," said Muyco.

Eduard Trenichev followed up his 24 point performance against Ural Great with 10 points and 8 assists. Their next game is against Castaways Pulañgi, whose offense is spearheaded by the sweet-shooting of SG Matt Knight (24.5 PPG on 50.4% FG), PF Giles Reburiano (19.0 PPG on 54% FG) and PF Luke Mapa (18.00 PPG, 10.2 RPG, and 57% FG).

Last edited by Fridrik at 1/7/2009 9:18:23 AM

This Post:
14411.159 in reply to 14411.158
Date: 12/27/2008 11:40:32 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Coffee Makers Finalize Line-Up, Staff Positions

It seems that GM F.A. Cruz has finally finished tinkering with the team make-up and chemistry. Sparing no expense and even having their budget come close to being in the red, his heady decision-making has reaped benefits.

"We are all set with 11 players in our line-up. We believe in giving everyone equal opportunities and we won't allow anyone to spend a lot of time on the bench. With this in mind, everyone will be able to develop their full potential. I've never seen a more enthusiastic and happy bunch of players. Team morale and camaraderie is at an all-time high," said F.A. Cruz.

"We've also put in a fine staff. Dr. Miljan Smiljanic is on board. Ric-Ric's injury has given us pause and with such a short line-up, we would need everyone to be healthy. Fritz-Ulrich Kläne, our PR-Manager is working hard to fill in the arena despite the many changes in the team and the new faces. With the Manila Astrodome undergoing continuous renovation, we need to recoup our investments in the quickest time possible."

"As for our trainer, I have no words to express how grateful we are for Hardi Ääremaa. Even though we got him through a long and drawn-out bidding process, he is worth every cent as our guards have blossomed under his tutelage. We are confident that he will do the same for our big guys," the Classics GM added.

Head Coach I.M. Ganzo said, "We did have to let go of Zacharias Matsoukas (who has opted to retire) and lost Mathieu Kernle to free-agency. We hope for the best for both of them. As for Galius Boveris, he has been a consummate professional. He is still in the trading block, but if no one shows any interest in him in the next few days, he will stay with us for the rest of the season. His leadership and his experience is invaluable for our squad. Though he is still young (27 years old), he and Ric-Ric (25 years old) are the senior citizens in this exciting team we're building for the long haul."

Last edited by Fridrik at 1/7/2009 9:55:10 AM

This Post:
14411.160 in reply to 14411.159
Date: 12/28/2008 9:52:25 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Boveris Bolts, Classics' Plans Derailed

Veteran SF Galius Boveris was tendered an offer sheet by Spain's The Crackers Team a few hours before a planned re-signing with the Coffee Makers and immediately signed. This left the team with only Gracijus Bridis to play SF against Castaways Pulañgi.

"Ricson Ritualo has one more week of physical therapy scheduled and we're not going to risk him aggravating his injury. However, there are three players our GM is interested in and he is working on the phones right now. We could only hope that we get at least one of them in time so that he could be cleared to play. No, we're not telling who they are, but one is a Filipino," revealed Head Coach I.M. Ganzo.

Last edited by Fridrik at 1/10/2009 10:04:04 PM

This Post:
14411.161 in reply to 14411.160
Date: 12/30/2008 9:28:29 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Mangalik and Delos Santos bid Shinra Soldiers Goodbye
Manila, Philippines - Associated Press

In a move to reformat the team, Coach Rufus has fired both his aging former stars. Point Guard Brian Mangalik and Small Forward Ken Delos Santos were given their separation from the Shinra franchise today, Dec. 30, 2008. “It was a hard decision to make, but we have to make room for new young players that will help reform the team”, states Coach Rufus, who was initially rumored to be sacked by the Shinra Management due the teams poor performance this season. In a phone call made to GM Luka Shinra, he denied the rumors and that the Management still has its full confidence and support to Coach Rufus Shinra. Shinra Soldiers appears not to be the strong team they used to be as on previous seasons. Some skeptics blame the team's poor showing on the team’s low motivation. Last season’s MVP Blas Bantala strongly denied this accusation, saying that the team is focused and determined, but other teams must have adopted new game plans. Bantala also commented on the departure of his former teammates, “…it is always difficult to see someone go. These guys are your friends, your roommate, your best buds, the basketball court wouldn’t be the same without them. But we are just like soldiers, obey before asking questions.” Coach Rufus, on his last press conference, informed the media that he is out looking for a new breed of young and quick players. “We are trying to negotiate a transfer deal from other teams, but freelance players are our priorities. For now, our aim is concentrating on the remaining games we have and try to win games once again."

This Post:
14411.162 in reply to 14411.161
Date: 12/31/2008 8:24:32 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Jamora sets record in Team Polydozel win

The jam packed El Rio stadium welcomed the team Polydozel fairly, as they introduced their newly renovated arena. The crowd was at a raucous when the opening tip off started. All were present, yet, Tongson and Guarnes didn't start the game for team Polydozel.

Instead, Mervyn Jamora displayed and broke a team record setting game as he put up 9 three pointers in a game. He scored 46 points, almost breaking the most points played ina game set by his current teammate, Hipolito Guarnes.

"It was still a team effort. A couple of picks, good looks from outside, and unselfish plays made this all happen." says Jamora, who was obviously the player of the 130-102 win against Kims Lover.

Jamora was also perfect free throw form, sinking all 5, and reaping 6 rebounds, with 6 steals. Cirilo Magoncia was relentless in defense as he bagged up 6 steals.

Tongson was in the lineup, but he never played. Yet, he was cheering on the bench, amazed by what he saw in Jamora.

MVP Hipolito Guarnes played 10 minutes, as Jamora's "reliever", he scored 8 points shooting two threes, he even got a steal.

"This is the best game by far this season." says coach Vic Nodally. "Everyone had their part, which resulted in a blow out game... we really need this win right now and I couldn't think of any better way than this... I hope we play with this kind of intensity every night."

This Post:
14411.163 in reply to 14411.162
Date: 1/3/2009 9:34:43 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Q&A portion with NT Coach Norman Black

Manila, Philippines - We've got the chance to finally catch up with Norman Black and talk about how he is able to manage the Philippine NT and the ADMU Blue Eagles in the same season.

Reporter: Good morning coach! How has this season been for you?
N.B.: Hi good morning! Well, obviously the II.2 league had become even more competitive. We have good up and coming teams such as the Ropiva Blindshoots and the barangay ginebra kings, of course let's not forget our main rivals and veterans to the game, Letran Knights. It will be a very triumphant feat for me if I get to bring the Blue Eagles to the PPL and at the same time bring the NT higher in the rankings.

Reporter: Speaking of rankings, how has the Philippines NT been doing in the rankings?
N.B.: Well, the team has been really performing well. Our lineup is only a bit stretched but we're getting through. The last win over Nippon really put the hopes of the boys up. Nippon is one tough team, and for us to be able to beat them was really great. We have another chance in proving that we are truly one of the top teams to beat in Asia if we get past the Hong Kong NT in the next game.

Reporter: How will you be approaching the game against Hong Kong?
N.B.: The coaching staff has a few ideas as to how we should neutralize their offense, all in all I think we have a real good shot of beating them.

Reporter: What do you think you should continue to do for the NT or even your own team to ensure that you guys are improving?
N.B.: Well, for our own team, a lot of people know I am defense-oriented. As they say, offense wins games, but defense wins championships. So I'm really focused on making sure the boys are intelligent defensively. Also, I urge every coach in the Philippines to train their Filipino players. The NT is in dire need of good back court players. We are actually also looking forward to next season as we believe Joserey Enrile is turning 22 so he'll be moving to the Philippine NT.

Reporter: Thank you very much for your time coach Norman! We are wishing you more success for this season and the seasons to come!
N.B.: You're welcome, and thank you for the support!

This Post:
14411.164 in reply to 14411.163
Date: 1/7/2009 9:51:35 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Classics Outclass Castaways Pulañgi 132-119

The Coffee Makers lost two of their high-scoring wingmen but they needed just one to defeat the Castaways, 132-119. Gracijus Bridis scored a career-high 47 points on 19 of 28 shooting, offsetting the loss of Ricson Ritualo (injury) and Galius Boveris (free agency).

As expected, PF Alexander Oppus and PG Matt Knight dominated the scoring parade for the Castaways with 36 and 35 points respectively. However, the Classics made more free-throw attempts (20 to the Castaways' 10) and treys (8 to the Castaways' 5).

"It was only a matter of time before Gracijus would have a monster game. The moment he stepped on our court, I knew he was a winner," exclaimed Head Coach I.M Ganzo.

Bridis was more modest though as he pointed out that PG Yannick Sincère probably deserved more credit. "Yannick was razor-sharp today. I could not have gotten so many opportunities to shoot and be open a lot of times if not for his deadly passing which opened the court for me and for my team-mates," said Bridis.

Opposing PG Giles Reburiano could only shake his head, "Yannick's passing just killed us. He dished out 13 assists. I believe it is his career high ... and we were the team that got the short end of the deal."

The Classics also got a lot of support from their big men. Janio Niño and Daniel Muyco more than held their own on the boards, combining for 26 rebounds to offset Oppus' 17 caroms. They also scored a combined 40 points. Admir Gartnar chipped in 19 points to cover for an ineffective Jan Janasiak at SG.

New acquisition Tony Overstreet from the US scored 6 points in his Classics' debut. "We were not able to acquire the player we wanted, but Tony was available. We took a chance on him and I believe he would stick with the team the rest of the season. He's shown that he has what it takes to be a Classic," said GM F.A. Cruz.

Last edited by Fridrik at 2/10/2009 7:40:53 AM

This Post:
14411.165 in reply to 14411.164
Date: 1/7/2009 10:24:44 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Classics Outpace Pacers Balakias

The Coffee Makers stomped on the gas pedal in the first quarter and never looked back. Exploding for 36 points to the Pacers' 21, the Classics led 67-45 by half-time and held off repeated rallies by the Pacers to eventually come out comfortably on top, 110-82.

Gracijus Bridis again top-scored for the Classics, finishing with 30 points on 41% shooting, 60% from beyond the arc. "I just went on a tear when I found my groove. I just kept shooting until I got hot," said Bridis.

Lending able support to Bridis was Jia Chongyuan who finally had a break-out game with a career double-double of 20 points and 16 rebounds, overshadowing the efforts of stalwart Daniel Muyco (10 points on 30% shooting and 13 boards).

"It was not the shooting that helped defeat us. It was their defense and rebounding. We knew that the Classics could run and gun, but we never thought that they would thrash us soundly at the boards (73 to 57) and get 12 steals," was the comment of the opposing coach.

"The game was good all together. What made the game even more special was that we finally had Ric-Ric back in the team. We're still limiting his minutes until he makes a full recovery but even though he was in the court for only 16 minutes, you could see the fire in his eyes as he still finished with 5 points, 6 rebounds, and 2 steals," said a beaming I.M Ganzo, Head Coach of the Classics.

When interviewed about his health, Ricson Ritualo smiled and said, "Our team doctor gave me clearance to play just last night. When he gave me permission to play, I felt like a rookie in his first game. I was a bit tentative on the court, trying to find my way back. It was a good thing though that everything clicked and so I got some needed rest and did not have to force myself to score."

With respect to Gracijus Bridis, Ritualo said, "I am very happy that Gracijus has responded well to the pressure. I am not in way jealous over his recent performances. What is good for the team is good for me."

The Pacers' back-court tandem of Quirico Jurao and Luke Licera top-scored for their team with 27 and 18 points respectively. They outscored the Classics' guards Jan Janasiak and Eduard Trenichev (combined 22 points) but was outmatched in the assists department, 10-2.

This Post:
14411.166 in reply to 14411.165
Date: 1/7/2009 10:44:47 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Ricson Ritualo chosen as starting SF for Big 8 All-Star Team

Despite recent injuries that sidelined the prolific small forward, Ricson Ritualo came out on top of the voting for SF with 22166 votes, topping Calvert Gerardino who finished with 21845. Emerging superstar Gracijus Bridis was also nominated to the All-Star Game but only had 4057 votes.

"It was a total surprise. I never thought I would still make it to the Big 8 Team with my injuries and all, but my hard work must have paid off well. I am excited to represent the Classics in the All-Star Game!" an enthusiastic Ritualo said in a recent team press conference. "Maybe next year, both Gracijus and I could play small forward together."

Daniel Muyco was also voted in as PF, but finished third with 10370 votes. Jowil Lagtapon and Lester Erazo got the coveted spots. Janio Niño almost made it to the team, but was edged by C Brian Rosario, 17047 to 14165 votes for the 2nd Center slot.

"Having four players listed in the All-Star ballot is a great turn-around from last year's disastrous season. And to think, Danny, Janio, and Gracijus joined the team almost midway this season. Everything's shaping up as we have planned. As I said before, we're building a team for the ages," said GM F.A. Cruz.

This Post:
14411.167 in reply to 14411.166
Date: 1/10/2009 10:00:33 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Great 8 Wins All-Star Game, Ritualo Top Scorer for Big 8

It was an exciting high-scoring game featuring the best players of League IV.53 at the All-Star Game hosted at Joeblow Arena. The Great 8 team, led by SF Matt Knight from Castaways Pulañgi (32 points) defeated the Big 8 Team 152-143.

With 3 players from Castaways Pulañgi starring for the Great 8 (Knight, PF Alexander Oppus, and PG Giles Reburiano), chemistry became the deciding factor. The Great 8 team had more assists (41-31), steals (5-2) and shooting percentage (64%-60%).

"It was a great game for scoring. Lots of fun out there," a beaming Knight said, who was declared as Co-MVP of the All-Star Game with team-mate Oppus. "The Big 8 team was hard to beat. They were more aggressive on the glass. Good thing we made our shots," said Oppus.

"Ricson Ritualo was simply amazing. Despite being out of commission for two weeks prior to the game, he hasn't missed a step. I mean ... 30 points on 64%. He shot the lights out," commented Big 8's coach. "Our rebounding was also solid. Jowil Lagtapon (22 points, 10 rebounds) was dominant on the boards. It was those 3's (20-12) from Great 8 that took us off our inside-outside game. Maybe next year we'll win it."

Last edited by Fridrik at 1/17/2009 9:12:29 PM

Advertisement