Season 25

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
248324.157 in reply to 248324.155
Date: 9/22/2013 1:23:33 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Indeed, BB_Patrick answered earlier the question

Let me get back to you on this, but I'm 99% sure it also affects potential caps.

What that means is that if you have a player who has capped, and that player has at least some JR or some SB, then that player should revert back to "almost capped" again, where you can still train him.

Unless you continued training that player a lot even after he capped out.

"Air is beautiful, yet you cannot see it. It's soft, yet you cannot touch it. Air is a little like my brain." - Jean-Claude Van Damme
This Post:
248324.158 in reply to 248324.135
Date: 9/22/2013 2:05:58 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Will the prediction of defense change apply for NTs as well

I'm interested as well, since NTs (and U21 NT) play only LI, this would be good to see at that level. Maybe someone will try something new.

This Post:
248324.159 in reply to 248324.158
Date: 9/22/2013 5:07:08 PM
Edson Rush
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
I like all of the changes made this season except for being able to guess your opponents tactics. Before, just like in real basketball, teams chose tactics that suited the skills of their own players and possibly countered those of their opponents. You don't play better against a certain team by simply knwoing their tactics, but by adjusting your own tactics to counter their's.With the new change, teams will be constantly switching up their tactics, not because it will allow their team to play as well as they can, but because they are scared their opponents will guess their tactics. This new situation is not only not very realistic, but it also decreases the usefulness of tactics. While its true that most teams can play multiple offenses, as many of them are similar, the real problem is defense since they are all quite different and playing one over the other can hurt a team in important areas. For this reason, I think the BBs should do away with this change or only allow teams to guess their opponents offensive tactics.

This Post:
248324.160 in reply to 248324.159
Date: 9/22/2013 5:44:51 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I can up the 99% to 100%. The SB/JR change also affects potential caps, and as a direct result this could also mean previously capped players now dropped below their cap again.

This Post:
248324.161 in reply to 248324.126
Date: 9/22/2013 7:45:15 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Again, I don't see how you can state the GE is the root of the tactical imbalance if so many people train players to fit only one tactic.

Of course you're right as most of the top players have been trained for LI.

But maybe a different assumption can be made? Perhaps the users figured out many seasons ago that LI was the best tactic even if it was just a small advantage. Perhaps this was just a fact or prehaps it evolved because bigs trained faster on their primaries than guards and everyone trained OD to high levels on perimeter players which killed most of the outside based offenses. Because all that has happened some alteration in the game engine is clearly necessary to bring back the equilibrium that the original users had intended with the tactics and to help force the users to start training different builds.

This Post:
248324.165 in reply to 248324.154
Date: 9/23/2013 1:58:40 PM
Beware of Dogs
NBBA
Overall Posts Rated:
I understand (and agree) a lot to what you wrote and yes, there are much we yet to know about this tactic prediction. I really don't know the BB's real intention behind this new feature but I interpret it as an attempt to persuade managers from doing the LI/M2M cruise control ... to persuade managers to run other tactics and in the long run create balance in the game. If this boost turns out to be so minute that it has little to no affect on our tactic decision, than IMO it's a failed attempt. So from that perspective, I have to assume that the boost is large enough to affect the the game outcome ... and to have game outcome decided by this tactic prediction game is a bad idea.

To: TnT
This Post:
248324.166 in reply to 248324.165
Date: 9/23/2013 3:00:28 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
If this boost turns out to be so minute that it has little to no affect on our tactic decision, than IMO it's a failed attempt. So from that perspective, I have to assume that the boost is large enough to affect the the game outcome ... and to have game outcome decided by this tactic prediction game is a bad idea.

So, to sum it up, if it does nothing it's a failure and if it does something it's a bad idea. The glass is half pee.

This Post:
248324.167 in reply to 248324.123
Date: 9/23/2013 3:40:06 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
So we can look and see is it good for the game as a whole to reward people for not playing cookie cutters and autotactics? Yes, it is, so while it may inconvenience me, I'm encouraged that it's still a change for the better.

Its too early to tell if these are good changes. Expect a good 4-5 seasons for teams to start making adjustments that impact the game after they are introduced. So increasing SB, decreasing the cost of JR, these things will take many seasons to bear out.

While this new guess-your-opponents-tactic feature doesn't impact LI only it is geared to address the overuse of it. For that reason this is too soon. Changes have been made that havent been fleshed out by the community yet.

In regards to fixing the GE's problem with punishing well balanced teams in certain ways (ie, backcourt outside shooters in a LI offense), fix the GE itself. We already have to swallow the bizarre effort choice that was stolen from Hattrick, now we have to bother with this crap as well?

I think this, like the GS hit, are more intended to be placebo effect changes than anything else. I think that it's pretty clear from BB-Patrick's responses on this thread and the BB communication in general that they don't necessarily feel that the LI "dominance" is specifically related to the GE itself, but the way players have been created specifically for this tactic. The idea always comes back to "Oh, but if anything can beat LI, why do all the best teams run it?" But the thing is, without the players to run a different offense or effectively defend against the LI team, of course nothing else is better. And while it's easy to find guards built to run LI, good luck finding a big man built to run an outside offense and defend against LI: there are three guys total on the TL with the following search: 9 JS / 8 JR / 10OD / 8 PA / 13 ID / 13 RB. That's a perfectly reasonable build, considering I've got two guys with that skill set myself, and yet there are three meeting that criteria available on the TL - one is an NT guy, the other two played in the B3 final game this past year.

The engine itself isn't broken necessarily - you can win with other tactics at pretty much any level until you reach the point where the players are no longer available. Now hopefully these changes might spark people to train something other than endless LI clones and then complain about how no other tactics work. ;)

Advertisement