Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
14411.161 in reply to 14411.160
Date: 12/30/2008 9:28:29 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Mangalik and Delos Santos bid Shinra Soldiers Goodbye
Manila, Philippines - Associated Press

In a move to reformat the team, Coach Rufus has fired both his aging former stars. Point Guard Brian Mangalik and Small Forward Ken Delos Santos were given their separation from the Shinra franchise today, Dec. 30, 2008. “It was a hard decision to make, but we have to make room for new young players that will help reform the team”, states Coach Rufus, who was initially rumored to be sacked by the Shinra Management due the teams poor performance this season. In a phone call made to GM Luka Shinra, he denied the rumors and that the Management still has its full confidence and support to Coach Rufus Shinra. Shinra Soldiers appears not to be the strong team they used to be as on previous seasons. Some skeptics blame the team's poor showing on the team’s low motivation. Last season’s MVP Blas Bantala strongly denied this accusation, saying that the team is focused and determined, but other teams must have adopted new game plans. Bantala also commented on the departure of his former teammates, “…it is always difficult to see someone go. These guys are your friends, your roommate, your best buds, the basketball court wouldn’t be the same without them. But we are just like soldiers, obey before asking questions.” Coach Rufus, on his last press conference, informed the media that he is out looking for a new breed of young and quick players. “We are trying to negotiate a transfer deal from other teams, but freelance players are our priorities. For now, our aim is concentrating on the remaining games we have and try to win games once again."

This Post:
14411.162 in reply to 14411.161
Date: 12/31/2008 8:24:32 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Jamora sets record in Team Polydozel win

The jam packed El Rio stadium welcomed the team Polydozel fairly, as they introduced their newly renovated arena. The crowd was at a raucous when the opening tip off started. All were present, yet, Tongson and Guarnes didn't start the game for team Polydozel.

Instead, Mervyn Jamora displayed and broke a team record setting game as he put up 9 three pointers in a game. He scored 46 points, almost breaking the most points played ina game set by his current teammate, Hipolito Guarnes.

"It was still a team effort. A couple of picks, good looks from outside, and unselfish plays made this all happen." says Jamora, who was obviously the player of the 130-102 win against Kims Lover.

Jamora was also perfect free throw form, sinking all 5, and reaping 6 rebounds, with 6 steals. Cirilo Magoncia was relentless in defense as he bagged up 6 steals.

Tongson was in the lineup, but he never played. Yet, he was cheering on the bench, amazed by what he saw in Jamora.

MVP Hipolito Guarnes played 10 minutes, as Jamora's "reliever", he scored 8 points shooting two threes, he even got a steal.

"This is the best game by far this season." says coach Vic Nodally. "Everyone had their part, which resulted in a blow out game... we really need this win right now and I couldn't think of any better way than this... I hope we play with this kind of intensity every night."

This Post:
14411.163 in reply to 14411.162
Date: 1/3/2009 9:34:43 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Q&A portion with NT Coach Norman Black

Manila, Philippines - We've got the chance to finally catch up with Norman Black and talk about how he is able to manage the Philippine NT and the ADMU Blue Eagles in the same season.

Reporter: Good morning coach! How has this season been for you?
N.B.: Hi good morning! Well, obviously the II.2 league had become even more competitive. We have good up and coming teams such as the Ropiva Blindshoots and the barangay ginebra kings, of course let's not forget our main rivals and veterans to the game, Letran Knights. It will be a very triumphant feat for me if I get to bring the Blue Eagles to the PPL and at the same time bring the NT higher in the rankings.

Reporter: Speaking of rankings, how has the Philippines NT been doing in the rankings?
N.B.: Well, the team has been really performing well. Our lineup is only a bit stretched but we're getting through. The last win over Nippon really put the hopes of the boys up. Nippon is one tough team, and for us to be able to beat them was really great. We have another chance in proving that we are truly one of the top teams to beat in Asia if we get past the Hong Kong NT in the next game.

Reporter: How will you be approaching the game against Hong Kong?
N.B.: The coaching staff has a few ideas as to how we should neutralize their offense, all in all I think we have a real good shot of beating them.

Reporter: What do you think you should continue to do for the NT or even your own team to ensure that you guys are improving?
N.B.: Well, for our own team, a lot of people know I am defense-oriented. As they say, offense wins games, but defense wins championships. So I'm really focused on making sure the boys are intelligent defensively. Also, I urge every coach in the Philippines to train their Filipino players. The NT is in dire need of good back court players. We are actually also looking forward to next season as we believe Joserey Enrile is turning 22 so he'll be moving to the Philippine NT.

Reporter: Thank you very much for your time coach Norman! We are wishing you more success for this season and the seasons to come!
N.B.: You're welcome, and thank you for the support!

This Post:
14411.164 in reply to 14411.163
Date: 1/7/2009 9:51:35 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Classics Outclass Castaways Pulañgi 132-119

The Coffee Makers lost two of their high-scoring wingmen but they needed just one to defeat the Castaways, 132-119. Gracijus Bridis scored a career-high 47 points on 19 of 28 shooting, offsetting the loss of Ricson Ritualo (injury) and Galius Boveris (free agency).

As expected, PF Alexander Oppus and PG Matt Knight dominated the scoring parade for the Castaways with 36 and 35 points respectively. However, the Classics made more free-throw attempts (20 to the Castaways' 10) and treys (8 to the Castaways' 5).

"It was only a matter of time before Gracijus would have a monster game. The moment he stepped on our court, I knew he was a winner," exclaimed Head Coach I.M Ganzo.

Bridis was more modest though as he pointed out that PG Yannick Sincère probably deserved more credit. "Yannick was razor-sharp today. I could not have gotten so many opportunities to shoot and be open a lot of times if not for his deadly passing which opened the court for me and for my team-mates," said Bridis.

Opposing PG Giles Reburiano could only shake his head, "Yannick's passing just killed us. He dished out 13 assists. I believe it is his career high ... and we were the team that got the short end of the deal."

The Classics also got a lot of support from their big men. Janio Niño and Daniel Muyco more than held their own on the boards, combining for 26 rebounds to offset Oppus' 17 caroms. They also scored a combined 40 points. Admir Gartnar chipped in 19 points to cover for an ineffective Jan Janasiak at SG.

New acquisition Tony Overstreet from the US scored 6 points in his Classics' debut. "We were not able to acquire the player we wanted, but Tony was available. We took a chance on him and I believe he would stick with the team the rest of the season. He's shown that he has what it takes to be a Classic," said GM F.A. Cruz.

Last edited by Fridrik at 2/10/2009 7:40:53 AM

This Post:
14411.165 in reply to 14411.164
Date: 1/7/2009 10:24:44 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Classics Outpace Pacers Balakias

The Coffee Makers stomped on the gas pedal in the first quarter and never looked back. Exploding for 36 points to the Pacers' 21, the Classics led 67-45 by half-time and held off repeated rallies by the Pacers to eventually come out comfortably on top, 110-82.

Gracijus Bridis again top-scored for the Classics, finishing with 30 points on 41% shooting, 60% from beyond the arc. "I just went on a tear when I found my groove. I just kept shooting until I got hot," said Bridis.

Lending able support to Bridis was Jia Chongyuan who finally had a break-out game with a career double-double of 20 points and 16 rebounds, overshadowing the efforts of stalwart Daniel Muyco (10 points on 30% shooting and 13 boards).

"It was not the shooting that helped defeat us. It was their defense and rebounding. We knew that the Classics could run and gun, but we never thought that they would thrash us soundly at the boards (73 to 57) and get 12 steals," was the comment of the opposing coach.

"The game was good all together. What made the game even more special was that we finally had Ric-Ric back in the team. We're still limiting his minutes until he makes a full recovery but even though he was in the court for only 16 minutes, you could see the fire in his eyes as he still finished with 5 points, 6 rebounds, and 2 steals," said a beaming I.M Ganzo, Head Coach of the Classics.

When interviewed about his health, Ricson Ritualo smiled and said, "Our team doctor gave me clearance to play just last night. When he gave me permission to play, I felt like a rookie in his first game. I was a bit tentative on the court, trying to find my way back. It was a good thing though that everything clicked and so I got some needed rest and did not have to force myself to score."

With respect to Gracijus Bridis, Ritualo said, "I am very happy that Gracijus has responded well to the pressure. I am not in way jealous over his recent performances. What is good for the team is good for me."

The Pacers' back-court tandem of Quirico Jurao and Luke Licera top-scored for their team with 27 and 18 points respectively. They outscored the Classics' guards Jan Janasiak and Eduard Trenichev (combined 22 points) but was outmatched in the assists department, 10-2.

This Post:
14411.166 in reply to 14411.165
Date: 1/7/2009 10:44:47 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Ricson Ritualo chosen as starting SF for Big 8 All-Star Team

Despite recent injuries that sidelined the prolific small forward, Ricson Ritualo came out on top of the voting for SF with 22166 votes, topping Calvert Gerardino who finished with 21845. Emerging superstar Gracijus Bridis was also nominated to the All-Star Game but only had 4057 votes.

"It was a total surprise. I never thought I would still make it to the Big 8 Team with my injuries and all, but my hard work must have paid off well. I am excited to represent the Classics in the All-Star Game!" an enthusiastic Ritualo said in a recent team press conference. "Maybe next year, both Gracijus and I could play small forward together."

Daniel Muyco was also voted in as PF, but finished third with 10370 votes. Jowil Lagtapon and Lester Erazo got the coveted spots. Janio Niño almost made it to the team, but was edged by C Brian Rosario, 17047 to 14165 votes for the 2nd Center slot.

"Having four players listed in the All-Star ballot is a great turn-around from last year's disastrous season. And to think, Danny, Janio, and Gracijus joined the team almost midway this season. Everything's shaping up as we have planned. As I said before, we're building a team for the ages," said GM F.A. Cruz.

This Post:
14411.167 in reply to 14411.166
Date: 1/10/2009 10:00:33 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Great 8 Wins All-Star Game, Ritualo Top Scorer for Big 8

It was an exciting high-scoring game featuring the best players of League IV.53 at the All-Star Game hosted at Joeblow Arena. The Great 8 team, led by SF Matt Knight from Castaways Pulañgi (32 points) defeated the Big 8 Team 152-143.

With 3 players from Castaways Pulañgi starring for the Great 8 (Knight, PF Alexander Oppus, and PG Giles Reburiano), chemistry became the deciding factor. The Great 8 team had more assists (41-31), steals (5-2) and shooting percentage (64%-60%).

"It was a great game for scoring. Lots of fun out there," a beaming Knight said, who was declared as Co-MVP of the All-Star Game with team-mate Oppus. "The Big 8 team was hard to beat. They were more aggressive on the glass. Good thing we made our shots," said Oppus.

"Ricson Ritualo was simply amazing. Despite being out of commission for two weeks prior to the game, he hasn't missed a step. I mean ... 30 points on 64%. He shot the lights out," commented Big 8's coach. "Our rebounding was also solid. Jowil Lagtapon (22 points, 10 rebounds) was dominant on the boards. It was those 3's (20-12) from Great 8 that took us off our inside-outside game. Maybe next year we'll win it."

Last edited by Fridrik at 1/17/2009 9:12:29 PM

This Post:
14411.168 in reply to 14411.167
Date: 1/12/2009 8:55:18 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Jamora concerned about upcoming game against the Dragons

Team Polydozel's Mervyn Jamora sat with our BB Sports correspondents to tackle on their upcoming game against Pampanga Dragons Sunday night.

These two tams will battle it out Tuesday at the PAL Arena, Jamora made comments about the upcoming game.

"It should be exciting, as the Pampanga Dragons are one of the more balanced teams in the PPL" says Jamora.

These two teams have fought out 2 games, with Polydozel winning both contests. But both games are close, winning by 2.

"They play good basketball and they really know how to put you down offensively. It's very challenging to play against them... but still good."

Jamora averages 22 points per game and 2.5 3-points made in these two contests, despite these awesome feat, he considers also that playing against Pampanga Dragon's gunman Norman Limpot would be different from their last meeting.

"[Limpot] was a great player then, and what's worse, he's getting better still now."

Along with Limpot, Larry Maratas will aid the team with some assists and points, not to mention his rebounding prowess for a guard.

"Their 1-2 combo really is the very core of this team, and so, our coach is really thinking it hard to counter their tandem" says Jamora.

These two teams will surely be neck to neck this coming Tuesday, and I'm sure that it would be one helluva matchup. So be sure to tune in coming Tuesday to see whether team Polydozel would make it through or will the Pampanga Dragons finally going to clinch up a win.

This Post:
14411.169 in reply to 14411.168
Date: 1/17/2009 9:40:25 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Tongson free throw saved them from a loss

With just two seconds left in the 4th quarter, Team Polydozel managed to take the risk, and not go for the win with their three shooters and instead, go inside for a sure play in overtime. Gangbang was flabbergasted about the fact that their opponents would go inside, even if almost all players on the court, are team Polydozel gunners.

The plan, take the ball on the hands of their player, Hernane Flavier, and to take it strong to the paint.

Flavier, known for being strong on defense and swift in flash inside plays, was denied early in the possession. He had catch up early, and made a pick on one cutting Simeon Tongson, who got the ball and made a hook shot, dominating his defender.

Alabang Gangbang's Santos Juele reached as far as he can to deny the Tongson hook. He somehow managed to deny the shot, time expired... only to be whistled for a shooting foul.

Tongson made the two free throws. The whole PAL arena cheered like crazy, and they cheered all the way to their overtime victory. The crowd was on their feet the whole OT period.

Tongson scored 17 points, 2 points short to tie his season best 19 points, in which, he set in his first game of the season, also against Alabang Gangbang.

He also grabbed 18 rebounds, 3 assists, and 3 blocks. Hipolito Guarnes scored 24 points, 7 rebounds, and 6 assists. He had 3 shots from outside.

Santos Juele scored 11 with 22 rebounds. He and Tongson both received 5 fouls.

"Those two have been doing it ever since the tip-off. It's like they've been doing 1-on-1 basketball." says one fan.

The game opened up with an Alabang Gangbang run, team Polydozel trailed for two quarters, they made key plays and runs before ending the first half with a 7-point lead.

"We were outrun by the first half, and we just gonna have to do well in order to win the game." says Oscar Gutierrez de Celis, who, subsequently, got fouled out early.

Eidur Peralta got injured in the middle of the game and is vital to the team's rotation. He's doing to be sideline for approximately 2 weeks. Now with Peralta injured, there should be reshuffling in their lineup when they visit Pinoy Noob on Tuesday.

"I told the boys to hustle more and give it all in the upcoming game, as this game will be important to us." says coach Vic Nodally. "This game will decide our fate in the coming playoffs."

Team Polydozel is currently 9-7 and is currently fourth seeded.

This Post:
14411.170 in reply to 14411.169
Date: 1/24/2009 8:18:01 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Fourth quarter run ensures Polydozel win

"Foul trouble on the other side and fundamentals on our side won our game." This is what coach Vic Nodally claimed the moment he talked with our reporters. Smile was on his face, and possibly relieved by the end result.

Team Polydozel won against the former Philippine cup champions and 2 time league champions TrailBlazers United 98-92 held at the PAL arena.

The forwards rule the game, as Oscar Gutierrez de Celis scored 26 points, 5 rebounds and 2 steals, with 3 three-pointers, and last season's MVP Hipolito Guarnes scored 16 points with 3 steals. Carl Marx Bello was relentless in the first half, and was eventually invisible in the second. He has 13 points and 11 rebounds.

TrailBlazers guard Andy Hildburghausen scored 32 points, with 6 rebounds and 4 assists. Nezih and Pador got their double-double for the game (20-16 and 13-13, respectively) Ubaldo Nudalo was everywhere on the court, scoring, rebounding, making threes, and blocking shots.

At the end, Polydozel's running offense caused mishaps for the former champions.

"We took the risk of running more on the end quarter instead of playing basketball the whole game. Basically, we tried to play defense the full three quarters and not making them score more. we had luck with their 2 players in foul trouble, so it's kinda good timing that we run at the end quarter." says Nodally.

Team Polydozel (10-8) has now won 2 out of 6 meetings with TrailBlazers United (12-6). Also, Team Polydozel lost to TrailBlazers United at the quarterfinals for the run at the Philippine cup trophy.

"We really learn a lot from the Philippine cup against them." says Mervyn Jamora, who had 12 points. "We played a different type of ball game and luckily it went to our end."

"We knew we couldn't win second chance points, so we made sure that the one shooting will get a quality shot... it's either that, or run." says Mervyn Jamora, who scored 12 for the Polydozel.

Before their loss against Alabang Gangbang, Polydozel was enjoying their 6 game win streak, that catapulted them into the 4th seat in the PPL playoffs. Team Polydozel has been playing in the PPL playoffs since their promotion in season 5, and they always prefer to keep it that way.

"That's what you get when you play in the playoffs, you'll have this composure that you have to be in it every season. It's getting hard every season, but we get to our best every time so that we'll be in the playoffs every time."

This Post:
14411.171 in reply to 14411.170
Date: 1/24/2009 11:30:52 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
FILIPINO GM HOPING TO MAKE WAVES IN SINGAPORE LEAGUE

Do you remember the PBA ALL-STARS team that made a short appearance in last year's Jose Rizal Cup? Their GM, Coach_Perry, is making a Buzzerbeater comeback. This time, it won't be in the Philippine BB community, but rather, he's hoping to make it big in Singapore's BB II.2 league.

Using the team name PINOY CONNECTION, Coach_Perry is hoping to make it good in this foreign league to improve recognition for the filipino BB community.

"The Filipino BB community is probably one of the most active community in Buzzerbeater. But I feel that we are not that popular in other countries. Hopefully, by playing in foreign soul, I'll be able to help improve recognition for our beloved BB community." commented Coach_Perry during the launch of his team.

To achieve his goal, Coach_Perry has already laid down two ambitious plans. One, to have an all-filipino roster for his squad in the near future via buying players from the BB Filipino leagues; and second, to win the Singapore national cup with pure-blooded Filipino players.

"It would be tough, I know. But these are the only way for me to succeed in getting international recognition for our beloved BB community. I am giving myself 3 years to do this. If I fail to make it, then I might as well quit." ended the enthusiastic coach and GM.

Advertisement