BB Sports Network

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
14411.169 in reply to 14411.168
Date: 1/17/2009 9:40:25 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Tongson free throw saved them from a loss

With just two seconds left in the 4th quarter, Team Polydozel managed to take the risk, and not go for the win with their three shooters and instead, go inside for a sure play in overtime. Gangbang was flabbergasted about the fact that their opponents would go inside, even if almost all players on the court, are team Polydozel gunners.

The plan, take the ball on the hands of their player, Hernane Flavier, and to take it strong to the paint.

Flavier, known for being strong on defense and swift in flash inside plays, was denied early in the possession. He had catch up early, and made a pick on one cutting Simeon Tongson, who got the ball and made a hook shot, dominating his defender.

Alabang Gangbang's Santos Juele reached as far as he can to deny the Tongson hook. He somehow managed to deny the shot, time expired... only to be whistled for a shooting foul.

Tongson made the two free throws. The whole PAL arena cheered like crazy, and they cheered all the way to their overtime victory. The crowd was on their feet the whole OT period.

Tongson scored 17 points, 2 points short to tie his season best 19 points, in which, he set in his first game of the season, also against Alabang Gangbang.

He also grabbed 18 rebounds, 3 assists, and 3 blocks. Hipolito Guarnes scored 24 points, 7 rebounds, and 6 assists. He had 3 shots from outside.

Santos Juele scored 11 with 22 rebounds. He and Tongson both received 5 fouls.

"Those two have been doing it ever since the tip-off. It's like they've been doing 1-on-1 basketball." says one fan.

The game opened up with an Alabang Gangbang run, team Polydozel trailed for two quarters, they made key plays and runs before ending the first half with a 7-point lead.

"We were outrun by the first half, and we just gonna have to do well in order to win the game." says Oscar Gutierrez de Celis, who, subsequently, got fouled out early.

Eidur Peralta got injured in the middle of the game and is vital to the team's rotation. He's doing to be sideline for approximately 2 weeks. Now with Peralta injured, there should be reshuffling in their lineup when they visit Pinoy Noob on Tuesday.

"I told the boys to hustle more and give it all in the upcoming game, as this game will be important to us." says coach Vic Nodally. "This game will decide our fate in the coming playoffs."

Team Polydozel is currently 9-7 and is currently fourth seeded.

This Post:
14411.170 in reply to 14411.169
Date: 1/24/2009 8:18:01 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Fourth quarter run ensures Polydozel win

"Foul trouble on the other side and fundamentals on our side won our game." This is what coach Vic Nodally claimed the moment he talked with our reporters. Smile was on his face, and possibly relieved by the end result.

Team Polydozel won against the former Philippine cup champions and 2 time league champions TrailBlazers United 98-92 held at the PAL arena.

The forwards rule the game, as Oscar Gutierrez de Celis scored 26 points, 5 rebounds and 2 steals, with 3 three-pointers, and last season's MVP Hipolito Guarnes scored 16 points with 3 steals. Carl Marx Bello was relentless in the first half, and was eventually invisible in the second. He has 13 points and 11 rebounds.

TrailBlazers guard Andy Hildburghausen scored 32 points, with 6 rebounds and 4 assists. Nezih and Pador got their double-double for the game (20-16 and 13-13, respectively) Ubaldo Nudalo was everywhere on the court, scoring, rebounding, making threes, and blocking shots.

At the end, Polydozel's running offense caused mishaps for the former champions.

"We took the risk of running more on the end quarter instead of playing basketball the whole game. Basically, we tried to play defense the full three quarters and not making them score more. we had luck with their 2 players in foul trouble, so it's kinda good timing that we run at the end quarter." says Nodally.

Team Polydozel (10-8) has now won 2 out of 6 meetings with TrailBlazers United (12-6). Also, Team Polydozel lost to TrailBlazers United at the quarterfinals for the run at the Philippine cup trophy.

"We really learn a lot from the Philippine cup against them." says Mervyn Jamora, who had 12 points. "We played a different type of ball game and luckily it went to our end."

"We knew we couldn't win second chance points, so we made sure that the one shooting will get a quality shot... it's either that, or run." says Mervyn Jamora, who scored 12 for the Polydozel.

Before their loss against Alabang Gangbang, Polydozel was enjoying their 6 game win streak, that catapulted them into the 4th seat in the PPL playoffs. Team Polydozel has been playing in the PPL playoffs since their promotion in season 5, and they always prefer to keep it that way.

"That's what you get when you play in the playoffs, you'll have this composure that you have to be in it every season. It's getting hard every season, but we get to our best every time so that we'll be in the playoffs every time."

This Post:
14411.171 in reply to 14411.170
Date: 1/24/2009 11:30:52 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
FILIPINO GM HOPING TO MAKE WAVES IN SINGAPORE LEAGUE

Do you remember the PBA ALL-STARS team that made a short appearance in last year's Jose Rizal Cup? Their GM, Coach_Perry, is making a Buzzerbeater comeback. This time, it won't be in the Philippine BB community, but rather, he's hoping to make it big in Singapore's BB II.2 league.

Using the team name PINOY CONNECTION, Coach_Perry is hoping to make it good in this foreign league to improve recognition for the filipino BB community.

"The Filipino BB community is probably one of the most active community in Buzzerbeater. But I feel that we are not that popular in other countries. Hopefully, by playing in foreign soul, I'll be able to help improve recognition for our beloved BB community." commented Coach_Perry during the launch of his team.

To achieve his goal, Coach_Perry has already laid down two ambitious plans. One, to have an all-filipino roster for his squad in the near future via buying players from the BB Filipino leagues; and second, to win the Singapore national cup with pure-blooded Filipino players.

"It would be tough, I know. But these are the only way for me to succeed in getting international recognition for our beloved BB community. I am giving myself 3 years to do this. If I fail to make it, then I might as well quit." ended the enthusiastic coach and GM.

This Post:
14411.172 in reply to 14411.169
Date: 1/27/2009 12:06:46 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Ribonucleic Acids are Cup Champions!

Finally.

The Ribonucleic Acids win their first Philippine Cup Championship, in what is described to be a Cinderella story.

Two seasons ago, they came close to winning the title, only to be denied in the finals by powerhouse Jubas Beasts. Represented then by co-team captains Teodoro Daganzo and Danilo Nismal, they we're clearly the underdogs outclassed by the veteran Beasts. "It was our first time to experience such thing", said Nismal. "And our inexperience clearly showed in the way we played. It was our first season, and to battle in such a prestigious and big stage was too much for us. This time, we made sure that we would do better."

And they did. The acids were up by 4 points, 56-54 at the half, and they never looked back. They went on a scoring spree, outscoring the Beasts 33-16 in the third quarter, led by their new recruit Nicolas Hartlieb who scored 20 points, 5 rebounds, 4 assists and 4 steals. "I wasn't there when during their previous championship match, but I could just sense that the team couldn't bear to lose again. It is our time, our year, and our championship."

The Ribo Acids lead by as much as 22 points going into the fourth, but the Beasts cut it to 5, entering the last minute of the game, backed by league superstar Wai Cheng, who shot the lights out at Jubas Astrodome, scoring 39 points on 15-31 shooting. "I tried to contain him," exclaimed Daganzo, "but he was just unstoppable. Good thing we maintained our composure in the end."

With a minute on the clock, and ball in possession of the Beasts, Modris Kleperis sneaked behind Wai Cheng to steal the ball, and seal the game.

"We knew the ball was going to his hands. He was red hot from the field the entire game. I just had to help." said Kleperis. And he did, sealing the game with pressure packed free throws. "The first time we met, I was new in this league. I struggled back then. But this time, I made sure that I would leave an impression."

"It was a sweet win for us," said team manager Chris Tiu. "The odds were stacked against us since the Semifinals, everyone was expecting us to falter under pressure, but thankfully the players delivered."

The Ribo Acids won 115-100 in OT, getting big contributions from Kleperis, Gallou, and Hartlieb. "Do not ask me how we did it." exclaimed Tiu. "The Blazers are arguably the best team in the Philippines right now, but with the fans backing us up that day, I guess we just had the heart to push through."

The whole team and staff would be flying off to China after the playoffs to unwind and to check out some chinita girls.

Last edited by JSmoove at 1/27/2009 12:21:52 PM

This Post:
14411.173 in reply to 14411.172
Date: 2/9/2009 9:33:46 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Classics Ready for Playoffs

Last season's doormat, the new-look Nescafe Classics won 7 of their last 8 after the All-Star Break to finish on top of League IV.53 with a 20-2 record. The playoff bound team has gone a long way to proving their detractors wrong.

The incredible turn-around of the Coffee Makers was a result of the gutsy and daring moves of GM F.A. Cruz. Inheriting a dispirited Psycho Manajos squad which finished a poor 9-13 last year, the risk-taking GM transformed a devil-may-care team into an exciting squad focused on passing and tenacious full court defense (21.3 APG and 14.2 SPG). Along the way, they also became a scoring machine, outscoring opponents by an average of 18 PPG.

"When I first came into the locker room, I sensed that the losses have taken its toll on the team. The players were pointing fingers at each other and were not giving their all in every game. I knew that I had to make drastic choices --- and I did them," said Cruz.

What happened next was a dizzying sequence of players being traded, transferred, and released. All the Filipino players except team captain Ricson Ritualo left the Classics for other teams or retired. Even promising rookies Ao Hengbang and Rhyan Cerillo did not escape the trading block.

GM Cruz then took veteran players from overseas to fill the roster. Not being content, he eventually traded them away for young and promising athletes that would fit the youth movement of the Classics.

Despite the whirlwind affair, the Classics reeled off eight straight wins before absorbing their first loss of the season. "All credit goes to the staff. Especially the coaching staff of Head Coach I.M. Ganzo. He did an incredible job of keeping the locker room loose and at the same time focused. There was a whole lot of camaraderie there that was missing last season," said GM Cruz. "We also upgraded our other staff positions with Dr. Miljan Smiljanic, Head Trainer Hardi Ääremaa and PR Manager Calvin Mansfield coming in at just the right time."

The Classics are led by scoring duo SF Ricson Ritualo (19.7 PPG on 51% shooting)
and SG Jan Janasiak (15.5 PPG and 4.0 APG). The middle is ably manned by PF Daniel Muyco (13.9 PPG and 9.9 RPG) and C Janio Niño (11.9 PPG and 9.7 RPG). The Coffee Makers' unselfish backcourt is composed of PGs Yannick Sincère (5.2 APG) and Eduard Trenichev (4.3 APG). Leading sixth-man candidate Gracijus Bridis comes off the bench to chip in 11.5 points per outing.

Recently, they have acquired two new players to offset the loss of back-up SG Admir Gartnar due to injury. Veteran SG Zulkiflee bin Mokhtar and PG Andre Luzano are being counted on to fill in the scoring gap left by Gartnar.

The Classics will face Carleon (11-11) first in their quest for the league championship. Last time they met, the Coffee Makers overpowered Carleon 105-82. The same results are expected, though leading scorer SG Nestor Casiño (25.4 PPG) is sure to give his defenders fits. SF Moises Maula (18.3 PPG and 3.1 APG) is also expected to come out with guns blazing.

Last edited by Fridrik at 2/10/2009 7:49:44 AM

This Post:
14411.174 in reply to 14411.163
Date: 2/10/2009 4:08:02 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Hi Coach,

I just read your message and found out that you need a forward. Actually i have a 20 yr old 6-6 SF with strong outside and inside defense. Currently training for rebounds. If you want i could send you his stats.

This Post:
14411.175 in reply to 14411.174
Date: 2/14/2009 10:18:30 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Room Left For One

This coming PPL Finals, it would be another one for the dynasty books, as arch-rivals TrailBlazers United and Jubas Beasts battle it out once again for the coveted PPL trophy. But now, things are a notch higher than last time...

This classic match up started on Season 5, when the Jubas Beasts entered the finals for the first time after failing to win conference finals in seasons 3 and 4. Dragged out by the Celestial Fury and their conference rival RED ROBINS (now MAPUA RED ROBINS), the Beasts were hungry for the title "champion". Season 5 entered, and the Beasts were having an impressive season, and was the favorites in the Great 8 conference.

Their first opponent, the season 4 champions Ateneo Jologs, who are now known in season 5 as TrailBlazers United. The mad dogs of the season had an unprecedented 20 wins, 1 win shy of tying the season best record held by Celestial Fury, who was eliminated in the later seasons due to management reasons.

TrailBlazers United, determined to defend their title, and also was determined to win the league title to prevent Jubas Beasts from being the first team to win both the League and Cup championship. Led by hotshot Ubaldo Nudalo, the Blazers managed to win against the Beasts in three games. the un-doable "double" is still not yet being reached.

Come along Season 6, most probably known as the most competitive season in that era, both the Blazers and the Beasts managed to regain their composure as the number one team of the conference. with the TrailBlazers tying the Beasts' winning record of 20 wins and two losses set only last season. Jubas Beasts was also impressive, finishing the regular season with just three losses.

Both are expected as the finals contenders, only with TrailBlazers United having the momentum being the Cup champions of that season, It's now up to the Beasts to prevent the Blazers from winning the double. One league executive even had a comment saying "We will not witness a match, but a form of dynasty."

The Beasts won it. Sweeping the series by winning two games. The league was impressed, and they can't wait for the next season to start.

Now comes season 7, the brutal season wherein one surprise has come to make the flame burn hotter in these two teams. It's organic, it's the team ribonucleic acid.

For the past 2 seasons, both Jubas Beasts and TrailBlazers United have participated in the BuzzerBeater Best, an international club team tournament representing the country's best of the best, the country's pride, the country's representatives. They represent the Philippines because they have won the cup finals and league finals in the past two seasons.

In season 7, ribonucleic acid, a known dark horse team even in league II, now PPL, has won the cup championship, winning against the Blazers by a comfortable margin, and was the Big 8's best team of the season, now ranked number 1.

TrailBlazers was surprising at the end of the regular season, finishing 3rd, and the Beasts was trailing in second in the first half of the season as the MAPUA RED ROBINS was having a surprising season.

Second half of the season was for the Beasts, as they manage to win 5 out of 6 games, thus ending the season with a three way tie at first place against MAPUA RED ROBINS and Queens Coast Silv3r. By point differential, the Beasts bagged the first seed once again.

The playoffs was way harder for both teams. as they both managed to win by just a close margin. And now that they will enter and face against each other again in the finals, the showdown will be in high stakes because neither of them has won Cup championship and one of them might not represent the Philippines in the upcoming B3 tournament.

The day to remember: Tuesday. For the third time, TrailBlazers United and Jubas Beasts will fight it out for that golden trophy with red sash, and for that final spot at the B3, because now, for them, there is only room for one.

This Post:
14411.176 in reply to 14411.175
Date: 2/22/2009 10:19:52 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Nescafe Classics Crowned Champs!

Thwarted by a gutsy Smoky Mountaineerz team which forced a tie-breaker game last February 21, the Coffee Makers rode on an emotional tidal wave from their sold-out out home court as they stamped their class early in the first period 42-26 to emerge as champions with a convincing 137-119 victory.

It has been an incredible year for the Classics which underwent a massive line-up overhaul and yet kept winning games in dominant fashion. Key to it all was new GM F.A. Cruz who made the risky decisions and made them pay off.

"This championship belongs to all the fans who have stuck with us all the way and believed in us. Our players are always inspired because of our loyal fans who have supported us through thick and thin," beamed a deliriously happy F.A. Cruz.

Losing 122-117 in the pivotal second game, the Classics' spirit was almost crushed by the defeat. Head Coach I.M. Ganzo, architect of the 20-2 Season 7 record of the Coffee Makers, made some fateful decisions. Ganzo shook the starting line-up and installed a motion offense overnight, replacing their bread and butter plays.

"I made adjustments to the starting line-up because though our defense was excellent, we lacked some scoring punch. Thus, I made Janasiak slide to the PG slot and made Gartnar the starting PG and Bridis as Admir's back-up. I had doubts at the start, but you see the results. It ain't bad at all," said I.M. Ganzo.

Again, it was team captain Ricson Ritualo who top scored for the Classics. Ritualo was red hot from the field in the 1st quarter, shooting 6 of 6 (14 pts) as he asserted his will over the opposing team. He finished with 33 points, 8 rebounds and 6 steals.

Gracijus Bridis, came off the bench for Admir Gartnar and chipped in 27 points and 5 steals. Jan Janasiak had 22 points, 7 assists, and 5 steals. PF Daniel Muyco put in 14 points, 8 rebounds and 6 steals.

For the opposing team, SG Ralph Faigao shot the lights out with 43 points on 17 of 27 shooting, 5 of 8 from beyond the arc. He had little help though as their bench wasn't able to contribute as much.

Though the Classics was out-hustled and out-rebounded (41-56), they more than made up for it through their stingy full court press, forcing their opponents to 34 turnovers. The Classics also had a total of 32 steals as their suffocating defense totally swarmed the opposing ball carriers.

"All our efforts have been rewarded and our decisions vindicated. The Nescafe Classics will continue to improve and win championships for years to come. We've built them as a dynasty and this is Year One," boasted GM F.A. Cruz.

Last edited by Fridrik at 2/23/2009 9:34:17 AM

This Post:
14411.177 in reply to 14411.176
Date: 2/23/2009 4:18:13 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
BEASTS BACK-TO-BACK PREMIER LEAGUE CHAMPS

Jubas Astrodome - After 22 regular games and 4 playoff games it has come down to 1 big game in deciding the best team in the Philippine Premier League. The Jubas Beasts(53996) have successfully defended their title against the Trailblazers United(54042) in a thriller 106-101 game(10545926).

The Beasts and Trailblazers have faced each other in the Premier League Finals for the past 3 seasons. But this was probably the hardest road to the finals for both teams with all the strong teams coming into their own this season.

The Beasts only topped the Great 8 conference through point differential in a three-way tie with the rejuvenated Red Robins(53984) and the red-hot Queen's Coast(53994) . The tie was forced with a win by the Beasts over the Robins in their final game of the season and Queen's Coast riding it's 7-game winning streak.

The Trailblazers made it through an even rougher Big 8 conference which boasts of 6 teams with more than 10 wins. This is the conference of Philippine Cup champions RNA(54037) and the powerhouse Hoes(54021) .

In a game where Beasts wingmen Liang "Laway" Wai Cheng(2445408) and Marlon Kintanar(2205524) had a difficult time finding their shots, it was the reserves who stepped up to try and keep up with Ubaldo Nudalo and company. Cleber Aguilar(817892) and Richard Tonillo(2205520) contributed from the bench 14 and 9 points respectively.

But it was the prolific defense of Cesar Bastos(2228771) and Ondrej "Colossus" Zatkovsky(3198109) who also made it harder for the Trailblazers big men to dominate the game.

Then with the game on the line and 5 minutes left, it was Liang Wai Cheng and Marlon Kintanar who made the big plays.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6...tapos wala na...
This Post:
14411.178 in reply to 14411.177
Date: 4/27/2009 9:13:26 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Philippines suffers first U21 loss against Australia U21

at the second leg of the BuzzerBeater Asia U21 Championship Tournament, Philippines U21 suffers their first loss against Australia U21 with the score of 155-101 held at the Zapper Arena in Indonesia.

U21 gunman Sotero Maravilla erupted for 43 points, nailing down 5 three-pointers and swatting 5 shots. Anthony Gillegao also scored in double figures, with 24, also racking up 5 blocks.

Scond quarter was a big problem for the Pinoys, as they were pinned down to only 18 points, after scoring 31 on the first quarter. The Australian youngsters were everywhere on the court, gunning shot after shot on the next 2 quarters.

"We have been challenged to a showdown, we were prepared to fight, i just think that tonight was not our night." says the U21 coach.

The Pinoys shut down the Australians' outside shooting, but their spped and perimeters cam to a toll, they even shut down floor leader Miguel Pingonan, who never had a basket from downtown.

"They were spotting me on, pressuring ten-folds and intercepting the passing lanes. It was a very embarrasing effort."

Nonetheless, our Pinoy U21 bigmen provided frontcourt prescence with 61 rebounds, Legaspi had 15 and Pacanan grabbed 16.

"We thought that our big men will save the day. They had a very good game, but the Australians were feeling it too."

Down at the end quarter, the pinoy team couldn't make a run, which is in their forte, to give the last quarter a big run.

Next game would be against China U21, and they're pretty confident that they will learn from their previous game and apply give what they got on Monday. They never liked the loss, for it's their first since the management took a transition by appointing GM-Katchafire Collie as their new manager.

"I never take it with them, They were unbeatable, and that also means that there will come a time that they would be losing a game... it's natural. I have high hopes on this youngsters and hopefully so, we would win the remaining games." says Collie.

Last edited by Katchafire Collie at 4/28/2009 8:04:57 AM

This Post:
14411.179 in reply to 14411.178
Date: 4/28/2009 6:54:29 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Sorry di ko sigurado kung saan ko ilalagay itong message pero minor correction lang, 115-101 yun final score. :)

Last edited by Greedy at 4/28/2009 6:55:06 AM

Advertisement