Suggestions > Pick and Roll should be an offense on bb

Pick and Roll should be an offense on bb

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
219902.18 in reply to 219902.15
Date: 6/12/2012 4:10:28 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
but the risk to injure you more severe is pretty low, and imho not so dependend who set it not even sure if an illegal screen from nate robisnson on Yao ming is more dangerous then the other way round since Yao wouldn't just bounce off and maybe kiss the floor.

This Post:
219902.20 in reply to 219902.18
Date: 6/12/2012 11:07:25 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
jammed finger, sprained knee, twisted ankle, concussion, wind knocked out of you, broken nose

none really severe (in basketball), but all result in missing time

since injuries currently, are just either. 1 game.at least a week, etc. and no "specific" injury. I see no differentiation.

Wolph's examples of fouled on a shot, then injured. For all we know, jammed finger every time.

This Post:
219902.22 in reply to 219902.21
Date: 6/12/2012 9:46:04 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I see jammed fingers when shooting. granted... its when a little guy tries to drive the lane on bigger guys. or a guy on a dunk. but yes, VERY RARE

This Post:
219902.24 in reply to 219902.23
Date: 6/12/2012 10:32:55 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah... I may be "theorizing"

But I know, that just cause you watch the 30 NBA teams... doesn't mean that that is representative of every basketball game in the world.

30 NBA
however many Euro and Asia etc.
430+ College
Tens of thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands of High School...
Not to mention intramural leagues, adult leagues, etc.

Oh, and lets not forget Women's basketball either

how silly of me. I should have known that if it doesn't happen in the 30 NBA team games. Then its purely theory for it to happen.....

Last edited by LBJisaCancer at 6/12/2012 10:33:05 PM

This Post:
219902.25 in reply to 219902.23
Date: 6/12/2012 10:34:43 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
My good friend, and one of my Groomsmen, Played college basketball, and he admittedly said. That if someone was under 6'3 and in the Paint. He would foul hard with the intent of injuring, just so that they learn their place. That little guys don't belong in the paint.

6'7 235lb guy when he played. He's now at 280

edit:
Not theory. practical HOWEVER that is 1 guy. So no I will not "Wolph" it and say that this is representative of ALL basketball.

Last edited by LBJisaCancer at 6/12/2012 10:35:31 PM

This Post:
219902.26 in reply to 219902.19
Date: 6/12/2012 10:44:27 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Basketball is basically teh most dangerous sport in the world because its got the smallest court for the number of players and the ball is constantly going up and coming down where all the players are looking at hte ball or basket, not their feet, not their bodies, not the opponents body, but the ball...which leads to lots of contact that is not expected and lots of unsure footing= the court is always flat and hard which they get use to footing wise and that all goes south when you land on someone's foot completely jacking your balance= rolled ankles, torn ACL, MCL and so forth, blown knee cartilage, torn and strained leg muscles..... and its also the sport where we fight over a large hard round ball with our hands which have rather fragile fingers and joints (wrist/elbow) and that is in the loose balls lots of broken fingers, wrist issue, elbow issue (compacted with shooting, since basketball is basically the heaviest ball thrown in sports and thrown up and the technic which is most accurate happens to completely suck for the cartilage....).....and then their is shoulder issues that comeabout grasping and fighting over that large ball with your arms fully extended above your head....

...clearly... you're not up to snuff with current events and the thousands of players in Lawsuit with NFL from injuries received from Football. Or even up to snuff with Football itself

And in Football.. they expect the contact just like soccer players. But the truth of the matter Wolph, in any sport. There is always a guy out there, that wants it so bad, or wants it more, that they'll play rougher, they'll foul harder, they'll make a dirtier play... To think anything less is naive.

I guess examples work better: Metta WorldPeace, Stephen Jackson, Some of the pistons players from the 80s.
You're telling me, in your however long of life, you've never seen a guy intentionally step on someone's foot when they were about to shoot or rebound?

This Post:
219902.27 in reply to 219902.19
Date: 6/12/2012 11:19:27 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

so that is why i kinda snapped at this guy suggesting injuries on screens, its an expected body on body play, very unlikely for injury. If the guy setting the screen is evil or just really clumsy I guess he could hurt the other guy, but generally you set your body in a way to avoid injury and it works for all players in the play. I think Nate Robinson on Yao Ming would be the least likely of injury because of size different the outcome is pretty simple. It think its more likely guys of same size that might injur on a screen in the fight over.

I'd also like to point out that most screens/picks... your teammates call out to you. When you are playing basketball... not coaching but playing.... and the guy you're guarding has the ball. You're watching him, not his 4 teammates and what they are doing. So, if someone doesn't call out "pick pick!" you can run into it without knowing.
Or when you're sliding into a pick, and you're late, or took bad position, and your knee bangs another person's knee.

Oh wait... "hypotheticals" I forgot. Everyone who plays basketball sets picks perfectly, and knows where they are at all times. So there is a 0% chance of injury from picks. If he is just really clumsy or if he's... trying to throw an elbow from it. or puts a shoulder. or more body into it/momentum.

So nate robinson yao ming was a bad example for you. Heaven forbid. Let me sit here, and spend 5 minutes to google up a situation where it happens for you.

What the hell do I know apparently. All I did was play pro-baseball. Getting run over periodically at Catcher. "But wait, people don't run people over at catcher? I watch MLB ALL THE TIME, and I never see players run the catcher over, they either slide into them, or slide around and try to avoid the tag....". Yeah well, ignorance is bliss isn't it? and I'm sure Todd Hundley, and a dislocated shoulder would tell you otherwise if you truly DID watch all MLB.

Some people. at any level. in any sport, just aren't very "sportsman-like"

This Post:
219902.28 in reply to 219902.27
Date: 6/13/2012 1:46:15 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
That is one heck of a lot of posts in a row!

Advertisement