BuzzerBeater Forums

Suggestions > The main three things that will make this game break the ~50K users limit

The main three things that will make this game break the ~50K users limit (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
214199.19 in reply to 214199.18
Date: 4/10/2012 10:04:55 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
The #1 issue to growth/lack of retention was probably instability in previous seasons. BB has gotten much much better and some people should give them some kind of credit for that. Marin has been a big factor in this, I think he deserves some love for getting this game more stable. I say that will crossed fingers though...there is always a possibility of issues arising again...
Anyway the BBs are probably smart to manage their bottom line by putting what resources they put into the gamei nto bug fixing and stability.
This is what you think, and it even might be a factor, but it is surely not explaining how on current season the numbers are just the same.
This probably proves that the performance issues had been mainly annoying, and should have been dealt with, but it might not be the reason for the community growth question.

This Post:
214199.20 in reply to 214199.18
Date: 4/10/2012 10:27:37 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
#2 issue- resources. Its easy for us ( and I do it regular) point out problems with league structure, user allocation (small nations), GE (LI), Economy.... however to fix this resources must be allocated into the game in the form of development man-hours. Its not cheap to be done right. BB code is massive, this you have to understand if you want to be hurling suggestions/complaints at them on a daily basis (as you often do Pini). So anyone coming in and adding to or changing this code needs to be an experienced competent programmer....and those dudes aint cheap to hire permanently, for projects or by the hour, just not cheap.
This is a chicken and the egg problem. Investment=return. But you can't squeeze blood from a turnip. If the resources to invest MORE are not there, then they invest what they are investing.
What is the point here?
Except drawing a false picture that my suggestion is something done for making the BBs angry?

This thread is on the suggestion forum. It brings suggestions.

The site is dealing with a community that does not grow, and this thread had been created for dealing with that.
In case you don't have added value to add, just don't.
Or is it the changes that are needed does not suite your game-plan?

Last edited by Pini פיני at 4/10/2012 10:29:37 AM

This Post:
214199.22 in reply to 214199.18
Date: 4/10/2012 11:08:11 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
#3 PR. Let's be frank. PR has been HORRIBLE the last two seasons. This ties into #2 as an issue. #1, to me, is a more practical problem/solution than PR. Squeeky wheels are Squeeky wheels. PR is about the people who complain and need special attention, but EVERY user needs site access. So if the BBs put more energy into keepin their site up than massaging user egos, so be it. However by letting PR slide, they have lost users, and they have lost resources. NOT doing PR is a slippery slope. moderation is key. PR has gotten so bad that I believe a slight investment will really up retention a lot.
PR is very important on any product, but on site like this, which has 50K users, it is expected to grow by "mouth to ear", meaning natural growth.
But apparently users are leaving the game as fast as new are joining in, and I would bet that the majority of them are new users who got into "the wall" I've described.

This Post:
214199.23 in reply to 214199.18
Date: 4/10/2012 11:21:09 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
#4 Design. The game is decent but has some flaws, GE imbalance, league balance, economic balance. Addressing the first 3 issues need to happen though I think before design changes can be done. no point in a good design if game is unstable (#1), can't develop WELL without resources (#2, if they add new stuff on limited budget, they create more #1 problems), changes are never met well by all good PR is needed for the release of any major change and the buggy period usually following (#3).

All the issues you raise, allthough I agree with them, fall in #4, there is some other things that realistically BB needs to wrangle (#1 probably they have gotten under control now) before they can address nuts and bolts issues.

ITs a ticking time bomb now though because the bulk of the user base has learned the game as is, we are learning more about ins and outs of economy and GE, and that gets boring. As time progresses without chagne people get bored and leave, word-of-mouth which is a big tool for BB early on (I came word-of-mouth myself) is hit hard by stagnation, killing their promotability. and stuff.... so #4 may be low on a list of things to do, but its kinda like eating, still very very important (just maybe not as important as breathing and drinking water etc.)
The game in the last few seasons (the ones I had been part of) had performance issues, but that is not what changed my opinion about it.
Having a training delay, is annoying, but much less than knowing that there is a wall that cannot be passed.

Every product has bugs. Competitiveness is the main problem (bug) of this game, and not the performance issue. [Which is surely even less a factor this season while there is still no growth,, as I wrote before].

This Post:
214199.24 in reply to 214199.17
Date: 4/10/2012 11:41:18 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I'd suggest that mismanagement of nations with fewer users than 100, and the reticence in improving basic mechanics for new user entry have a far greater impact than any problem regarding "ebay players".
This game loses more new members than it retains, merely because of the situation many new users get thrown into.
This is the third point that mainly focused on the competitiveness issues this game has.

A user who gets to a no-chance situation, and more accurate - something that is merely defined upon the date he joined the game - will leave it.
A user who will play against BOTs that just play awful will get bored and leave the game.

I think that part of the case why the competitiveness is not addressed is that the BBs are also playing the game and not just developing it, and hence its affect their observation of the issue.
It is a psychological known that being part of something affects the desicion one makes.

This Post:
214199.25 in reply to 214199.4
Date: 4/10/2012 12:18:36 PM
Message deleted
This Post:
214199.28 in reply to 214199.27
Date: 4/10/2012 2:18:20 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Is this really a thread to give out suggestion that will help the game grow above 50k or a new thread for you to yet again go against everything everyone says and then just pointing to another suggestion you made?
It sure seems to be about the second part. And if so this thread probably can be closed as we seen it all before.
If you actually start a thread like this you better be open minded to what others have to say and not just throw it away like garbage.
You know that the BBs will look at the content is written (if they actually looking at this forum), and all the tryouts to pull suggestion that some users don't like it, and those users are a very small group, will just be ignored.

No one is blocking you for suggesting relevant alternatives about the topic - what causes this game not to grow, and what could be done.
And please don't add something like - changing the name of the game, using a button that creates a buzzer, and other non-relevant suggestions.

Not supprisingly - for improving the game and growing its community there is needed a drastic change on it.

Advertisement