264414.192 in reply to 264414.191
Date: 11/13/2014 12:01:23 PM
TrenseRI
III.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
ChiLeaders
I accept the apology. You are now officially on probation

As for the new taxes, there are a couple of loopholes in your theory.
The taxes are calculated and store at the moment of being placed on the transfer list, therefore all of the players need to be listed before the first one is sold. This means that they cannot be effectively re-listed, which is what the day traders do. A lot. This means that they only have one shot at it, and if they don't sell most of the players, they will be at a loss.

Additionally, the taxes consist of two parts: number of transfers and time of acquisition. If they (the daytraders) list a player soon after acquisition, the time variable part will still be great (read: no or low profit). If they don't list right away, they have to pay salaries and will still have to pay at least some tax. Again no or very low profit.

Also, to avoid having a large number of transfers affecting their tax rate, they would be able to do this only once per season + 1 week. Which means that they will have to sell a week later for every time they do it. That would take a lot of patience and restraint, all the while risking not to profit anything due to the facts I already pointed out.

To answer the specific questions:
We are not against taxing profit, but since we just had a big change in the tax system, we would first like to see if and how it works. One season wouldn't be enough. Also, taxing profit has one big problem: if a daytrader sells a bunch of players during the season, he doesn't have to worry about selling that valuable SF he bought for a large sum a couple of seasons ago, since he will at least receive the amount he paid. This is unacceptable, we want daytrading to affect all the transfers of a daytrader in order to teach him a lesson, not to let him run amok and then suffer no consequences when it would really hurt.

The autobid is a feature which would greatly reduce page views. I'm not afraid to admit it. Buzzerbeater is free but not a charity. We have expenses which need to be paid for by Supporter packages, and, yeah, ads. You remember those things which you so conveniently blocked? Well, they pay for the game mostly. More seen/clicked ads, more funds for BB promotion campaigns, better servers/equipment, more beer for me...

You see, it's not that simple. Would autobids be convenient and useful for our users? You betcha, and that's why we can't even make them a Supporter only feature, since we don't want to turn BB into a pay-to-win (Supporters don't see the ads anyway). But at the moment, we can't turn it off since it would hurt too much financially. We'll try and think of something though. And we're open to ideas, of course.

This Post:
264414.193 in reply to 264414.192
Date: 11/13/2014 1:36:13 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
The autobid is a feature which would greatly reduce page views. I'm not afraid to admit it. Buzzerbeater is free but not a charity. We have expenses which need to be paid for by Supporter packages, and, yeah, ads.
Ok this makes a lot of sense.

I don't know how many supporters the game has, but perhaps you could consider giving the option to them (assuming it does not prevent you from working on more pressing issues)? I'm not a supporter myself, because I don't think there is enough of an ingame benefit to it. The scrimmage finder (if it works fine) and an autobid feature are a whole different story though, as I personally think that they are/would be tangible quality of life improvements over the non-supporter package (significantly more so than the old bookmarking, PL, 8 skills filtering on the TL and the download of the play-to-play).

Last edited by Lemonshine at 11/13/2014 1:41:53 PM

This Post:
264414.195 in reply to 264414.194
Date: 11/13/2014 2:47:56 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
He answered to that.

Would autobids be convenient and useful for our users? You betcha, and that's why we can't even make them a Supporter only feature, since we don't want to turn BB into a pay-to-win

We don't deny that autobid would have some advantages for the users, maybe even too much, hence as of now Marin is thinking that it's not the best idea to give it only to the people paying.
Apologies, I missed that. As I said, I'm not a supporter, but I wouldn't feel at a disadvantage if you gave autobids to supporters.

This Post:
264414.199 in reply to 264414.198
Date: 11/13/2014 6:05:09 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Taxing higher large numbers of trades (sales) rather than profit is rewarding training more than human trafficking.

If there is so much emphasise on training than financially-penalising managers who do train a lot despite negative effect in the league results would be mind-boggling.

This Post:
264414.201 in reply to 264414.200
Date: 11/14/2014 2:39:29 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yet still if somebody buys a decent PF, upgrade his OD for half a season (which does not increase salary, but value significantly) and than is heavily charged. The number of trades should be taken into consideration when deciding on tax level - just like it is now after changes.

I believe that current tax system is clear, not very complicated and fair. I hardly can think of a situation when desired behaviour is taxed higher than undesired - that creates incentive to follow the desired pattern.

Transfers should be taxed at least at the level of 3% just to suck some money out of the market.

The only think I could think better than the current system is charging 1% for the market advertisement. That would be a deterrent from putting players on the list twice a week well above their value. (problem is with unique/different than standard players which are valuable (SB monsters with low IS), but there is very selective demand for them - especially with 24k players on board and not over 50k - then players at certain time could not find the buyer even at decent price/value)

There are things I like about taxes, they should be:
- simple,
- fair,
- stable.
- in real life also low ;)
Changing them every second season is also not good.

Last edited by picia at 11/14/2014 2:46:57 AM

Advertisement