Suggestions > Mismatches

Mismatches

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
106735.2 in reply to 106735.1
Date: 8/25/2009 7:25:08 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Height is not used in the Game Engine, it's used for training purposes.

The way it works is that a 6'4" guy with Respectable rebounding and a 7'2" guy with Respectable rebounding have the same rebounding skills, but that 6'4" guy does it with superior athleticism, positioning, etc.

The 7'2" guy basically rebounds whatever falls directly at his hands.

To incorporate height into the Game Engine would require a massive overhaul, and I'd say it's very unlikely such a change would be made, nor do I think one should be made.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
106735.3 in reply to 106735.2
Date: 8/28/2009 4:26:21 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
To incorporate height into the Game Engine would require a massive overhaul

dont think so... it could be done simply by multiplying for a coefficient the rebounding ability before the simulation, just to take the example you did,( or the defending ability for guards with the opposite meaning, as usually smaller guards are more effective at stealing for example...) so that 2 players tha are just equally good at positioning, jump timing, athleticism and so on but are differently tall (and i mean REALLY differently tall, not 7'1'' and 7'2'') should be differently able to catch the ball... because it is not imaginable that a really tall guy trained to the limit is equal to a medium-height guy, trained the same way...

This Post:
106735.4 in reply to 106735.3
Date: 8/28/2009 5:18:21 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
but this would make players very hard to compare, now you could easily compare skill and through training you would get good player with the right size - and in low leagues there are often undersized big man even in reality.

If you take heigth into consideration i think you also should remove the training biase, and should put it into the salary. So you maybe have from start on a better contribution(even if i believe that big player more often start with good inside skills then small ones) - but in the end you end up lucking for a "prominent" rebounder on the TL and have to search first for:

- reb 12 and size smaller then 1.95
- reb 10 and betwenn 1.95 - 2.08
- reb 8 and rebounds 2.11 and 2.15

isn't it not much easier just to tip in, rebound 10 in the transfer search instead of making 3-4 search round to consider the height?

This Post:
106735.5 in reply to 106735.3
Date: 8/28/2009 5:32:27 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

dont think so... it could be done simply by multiplying for a coefficient the rebounding ability before the simulation, just to take the example you did,( or the defending ability for guards with the opposite meaning, as usually smaller guards are more effective at stealing for example...) so that 2 players tha are just equally good at positioning, jump timing, athleticism and so on but are differently tall (and i mean REALLY differently tall, not 7'1'' and 7'2'') should be differently able to catch the ball... because it is not imaginable that a really tall guy trained to the limit is equal to a medium-height guy, trained the same way...

It requires a massive overhaul since the GE is based on the concept that height is involved in the training part to begin with.

So no, I doubt very much this is happening.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
106735.6 in reply to 106735.5
Date: 8/28/2009 8:39:58 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
no one even mentioned how much this would destroy the current economy in game.
the price of tall players even poor tall players would skyrocket.

if we describe 2 players as great rebounders with equal ability in rebounding then it does not matter if ones 7'0 and ones 6'4 as they have an equal chance of getting the ball as they have the same rebounding ability.

as juice said the smaller guy makes up for his lack of height in other ways , where as the taller player is pretty much just standing there.

if you where to train both these players i rebounding though from the same age the taller guy would become a much stronger rebounder alot faster.

this is where taller players get there advantage in training.
which is also fairly true in life.

This Post:
106735.7 in reply to 106735.3
Date: 8/29/2009 2:56:25 AM
Overall Posts Rated:

dont think so... it could be done simply by multiplying for a coefficient the rebounding ability before the simulation, just to take the example you did

That is indeed rather simple, because all you essentially change are the inputs going to the game engine. But that's a totally different thing as the height mismatch concept proposed. To consider individual height mismatches, every applicable comparison in the game engine would need to be modified to take the height difference of individual player pairs into account. That would require major work. It's not necessarily as bad as it sounds (we do not know the exact implementation after all), but it can be pretty bad.

Currently, height plays a role in the training and a tall player with respectable rebounding arrives at this level for different reasons than a shorter player, as Juice explained. In practice only very tall players will reach the highest levels in skills that train slower for short players and vice versa. This makes sense. Multiplying the inputs to the game engine would simply alter this logic. Would that be better or worse? I think it could certainly be more intuitive for new users who haven't read and understood the rules yet. Overall, it would however make player comparisons more difficult and would not really add anything to game play. It's not an option worth considering at this point in my opinion. It probably was something the BBs considered in the very beginning and then decided that the current system makes more sense.

The height mismatch proposal pops up every now and then. I'm undecided about it myself. It would certainly introduce more variation to game play, but that's not necessarily a positive thing. Anyway, it would require a lot of work and is not something that is even considered as far as I know. The current height system is actually pretty nice. It's sophisticated enough and it's very simple.

This Post:
106735.8 in reply to 106735.6
Date: 8/29/2009 10:23:06 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Pink got it right on in the post. To put it in real life terms, just think of NBA rebound leaders. Most of the time they are taller, but if that is the only criteria, then Yao Ming would lead the NBA in rebounding. He has an advantage, but it is still a skill that needs to be trained. That's why a guy like Charles Barkley is able to lead the NBA in RB when he was much shorter than 7 feet. Barkley's BB manager trained him in Rebounding when he was young, and it paid off.

This Post:
106735.9 in reply to 106735.8
Date: 9/1/2009 6:46:22 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Just a notice. From the rules:
Rebounding: A good rebounder will retrieve the ball more often after a missed shot. Notice that height is already considered when a player's rebounding skill is displayed. A player who is 7'2" but has a low rebounding skill simply is very bad at positioning and will not get very many rebounds. He'll learn more quickly though...

This Post:
106735.10 in reply to 106735.9
Date: 9/1/2009 12:54:16 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
It is considered by the fact that different heights train at different speed, not by directly using player height in match simulation -- please read the sentence in its entirety.

Last edited by GM-kozlodoev at 9/1/2009 12:54:43 PM

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."