Suggestions > More promotions per season

More promotions per season

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
41542.2 in reply to 41542.1
Date: 8/5/2008 11:35:57 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Part of the joy of competing is when you get to the top, and you've won a championship. Along with the accolades, you earn a promotion, and you can take pride in a wonderful achievement.

Now, if you allow other teams to promote on a rigid, set basis, you water down that achievement and you don't get the same magic from winning it all.

I'd have to say the chances of this happening are slim to none, and the only extra promotions will come from bot cleanup.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
41542.3 in reply to 41542.2
Date: 8/5/2008 11:57:32 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I also want to add that the structure in BB is narrowing to the top rapidly.

For instance there is 1 div I and 4 division II leagues. As far as I know the same rate continues if you go further down (might be wrong here though)

Now let's say that 2 out of 16 teams promote, first of all it would be hard to choose which two. The champion, ok, easy enough, but then? the loosing finalist? What reward is there in winning then? or the team who ended highest after the regular season? This might be the champion, so which team to pick then...

Then 2 x 4 = 8 teams would enter Div 1 instead of 4, which means HALF of division I will have to demote. This is not funny at all. I think the demotion rate is just fine, 4 out of 16, giving 4 fresh teams a chance into every league each season.

So maybe the promotion of just 1 team in 16 is small, and I surely agree on it, chances of promotion are realy small if you have to compete with 15 other teams, but then, the demotionrate is just fine. You can't touch one without touching the other, so as JuicePats said, I think chances are slim the system will be touched.
If you become the champ now, the satisfaction will be huge.

They are not your friends; they dispise you. I am the only one you can count on. Trust me.
This Post:
41542.4 in reply to 41542.3
Date: 8/6/2008 9:48:43 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Unfortunately, I will not be the champion this year. Lost my first final match without having any chance...

I have to wait for another season, hoping that no better teams join the division.

And to be honoust, playing against 10 bots per season, is not really funny!

This Post:
41542.5 in reply to 41542.1
Date: 8/6/2008 11:34:33 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I have suggested a playoff system, in which teams from different leagues and divisions compete for some additional promotion opportunities. In addition, it would give all teams at least 3 to 4 playoff quality games. It would require one additional week in the season.

Classification

Teams within each league would be classified into 3 categories based on their regular season record:

(1) Top 4, including the two conference champions, and the two other teams with the best record (so in your case, it would include 3 teams from the Great 8). These teams would play in a pair of best-of-3 series to determine the league champion, who would automatically promote. As the other 3 teams are eliminated, they would join the 2nd chance playoffs.

(2) The 4 other teams that finish 2nd-4th. These teams would be placed in an inter-league 2nd-chance playoffs for an extra opportunity to promote. They would be joined by teams from the 1st category that are eliminated, and would eventually challenge teams from the division above to promote.

(3) The 8 teams that finish 5th-8th, would play in a relegation league. Each team would play a game against each team in the opposite conference, effectively completing a home-and-home series with those teams - game locations would be determined based on where the teams played during the regular season. The standings for relegation league would include the 10 regular season games between against other teams, plus the 4 games played during the playoffs. The bottom 4 teams would relegate. The next two would have to defeat challengers from the division below to remain in their league. The top 2, would remain in their currrent league.

The schedule:

Week 1

1) Championship semifinals, best-of-3, Tuesday, Saturday, (Sunday)

2) 2nd chance mini-league. 4 teams from different leagues would play 3 games, with the winner in each mini-league continuing their promotion opportunity. Games would be played on Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday.

3) Relegation classification. Bottom 8 teams play 4 games which are added to their regular season records against the other 7 teams. Games would be played Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday, Saturday.

Week 2

1) Championship finals, best-of-3, Tuesday, Saturday, (Sunday). Winner promotes.

2) 2nd chance qualification knockout. 3 rounds to determine 2nd chance teams.

Tuesday: Completion of 2nd chance mini-league. Losers of championship semifinals against another semifinal loser from another league.

Thursday: Winners of 2nd chance mini-league play a winner of a Tuesday game between semifinal losers.

Saturday: Winners from Thursday.

3) Relegation classification. 3rd and 4th games.

Week 3

2nd chance playoffs. Two rounds knockout. Teams involved are the 11th and 12th place teams from each league in the upper division, losers of the championship finals from each league in the lower division; and teams advancing from the 2nd chance knockout.

Games are played on Tuesday and Saturday. Winners promote to upper division, or retain their place in lower division.

Opportunity:

Teams that enter the 2nd chance mini-league would need to win 7 games to promote (possibly 6, if they can win the mini-league with a 2-1 record).

Losers of championship semifinals would need to win 5 games to promote.

Losers of championship finals would need to win 2 games to promote (plus win their championship semifinal).

11th and 12th place teams would have to win 2 games to avoid relegation (plus finish 3rd or 4th among the bottom 8 teams in their league).

This Post:
41542.6 in reply to 41542.5
Date: 8/6/2008 11:53:24 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
The schedule could be adapted to provide additional qualification chances for the BBB. Since there is no promotion from the 1st division in each country, once top teams are eliminated from the championship playoffs, they could be placed in an international competions for additional BBB positions. This could be conducted on a continental basis.

Week 1

BBB qualification mini-league. 4 teams from the top leagues in different countries would play 3 games, with the winner in each mini-league continuing their qualification opportunity. Games would be played on Tuesday, Saturday, Tuesday.

Week 2

BBB qualification knockout. 2 rounds.

Tuesday: Completion of BBB qualification mini-league. Losers of championship
semifinals against another semifinal loser from another country.

Saturday: Winners of BBB qualification mini-league play a winner of a Tuesday game between semifinal losers.

Week 3

BBB 2nd chance qualification continues. Two rounds knockout.

Teams involved are the losers of the championship finals from the top division in each country's 1st division; and teams advancing from the BBB qualification knockout.

Games are played on Tuesday and Saturday. Winners qualify for BBB. If there are an odd number of countries in a continent, the number of teams at this stage will not be a multiple of 4, so one lucky winner from Tuesday could qualify without a Saturday game.

This Post:
41542.7 in reply to 41542.4
Date: 8/6/2008 1:13:10 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Unfortunately, I will not be the champion this year. Lost my first final match without having any chance...

I have to wait for another season, hoping that no better teams join the division.

And to be honoust, playing against 10 bots per season, is not really funny!

maybe the fact your division is full of bots, there are a few bots in the higher division as well, and this could mean you will get promoted anyway if they do a bot clean up.
So don't just panic yet, wait to see what happens.

They are not your friends; they dispise you. I am the only one you can count on. Trust me.
This Post:
41542.8 in reply to 41542.1
Date: 8/8/2008 6:34:20 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
if there will be a more promotions, there have to be a more relegations, are you sure that you want to do that?

This Post:
41542.9 in reply to 41542.8
Date: 8/8/2008 9:32:18 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
if there will be a more promotions, there have to be a more relegations, are you sure that you want to do that?

Not necessarily. Having less teams in each division would fix that.

Run of the Mill Canadian Manager
This Post:
41542.10 in reply to 41542.9
Date: 8/9/2008 7:56:01 AM
Overall Posts Rated:

Not necessarily. Having less teams in each division would fix that.

because everybody relegates? less leagues in the lower devision fix that ;) But then you got first a caused relegation, and i think lot players would hate that.

But if got more porotion and the same amount of teams, there must be more relegations even if you split the leagues ;)

This Post:
41542.11 in reply to 41542.10
Date: 8/9/2008 8:54:46 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
No, for example if you have only 12 teams in division I, and still 4 teams could relegate. Then have 48 teams in division II, split into 4 leagues. The top 8 would play in the playoffs. The bottom 2 could automatically demote.

As for the remaining 2 teams... They could have a relegation series with 2 teams coming up from the division below.

It would push the pyramid down but at least the ratio of teams per division promoting would be more favorable.

I also don't like the current conference system. I would rather play all teams twice.

Run of the Mill Canadian Manager
This Post:
41542.12 in reply to 41542.11
Date: 8/26/2008 6:33:23 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
the low promotion ability is the one thing i as a newbie to game dislike the most. So i can only support that, more mixing (eg demotions and promotions) will be great

Advertisement