BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > Is BB competitive for new users?

Is BB competitive for new users? (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
201579.20 in reply to 201579.17
Date: 11/6/2011 4:16:01 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
The "cap-system" had been designed for this reason and for this alone - to make the league more competative.

You talk like you understand only why cap system exist, but don't understand what cap system is.

This Post:
201579.21 in reply to 201579.20
Date: 11/6/2011 4:38:14 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
The "cap-system" had been designed for this reason and for this alone - to make the league more competative.

You talk like you understand only why cap system exist, but don't understand what cap system is.
Here is a phrase taken from WIKI first paragraph describing the NBA salary cap;

"Like many professional sports leagues, the NBA has a salary cap to keep teams in larger markets (with more revenue) from buying all of the top players and extending their advantage over smaller-market franchises."

Last edited by Pini פיני at 11/6/2011 4:38:41 PM

This Post:
201579.22 in reply to 201579.21
Date: 11/6/2011 4:44:03 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Still the same.

So If salary cap came to BB, Venomous Scorpions will buy best players to the maximum level of salary and nobody can have better team than his, only the same. NBA is the other world, do not compare BB to it.

Last edited by ozi90 at 11/6/2011 4:46:40 PM

This Post:
201579.23 in reply to 201579.21
Date: 11/6/2011 4:50:02 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Salary cap works very well in closed league with money from outside. Salary cap prevent to spend extra money to gain advantage.
BB is completely different than NBA. Leagues aren't closed but there aren't incomes from outside. So salary cap would increase advantage of old teams.

You (and me) want to decrease this advantage ;-)

With salary cap old teams will buy players with better secondaries with the same salary as players in young teams but with worse secondaries. In this way old teams would eat cake and still have cake. Without salary cap old teams have dilema - to eat cake (better chance to win match with young team but less money after season) or to have cake (less chance to win match with young team but more money after season).

This Post:
201579.24 in reply to 201579.18
Date: 11/6/2011 4:52:41 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
This is a ridiculous solution to something that is not really a problem in the first place.

1) There were solutions (ploural).
2) Again, "amazingly" a team from the first division, that "amazingly" [I do like this word... :+)] are in this game since season-3, is against a new system for improving competativeness, and against a system that causes this disadvantage to those teams who started after the first few seasons.

As we can see, in Season 18 we have 7 teams that participated in the top league also in Season 13. What is more interesting is that the average team is getting younger (in terms of starting time, all teams are of course now older by five seasons), although the median team both during Season 13 and Season 18 started during Season 4.
I don't remember who was the one who brang a similar information about his top league (I think it was the ABBL).
But, then (as written here in the first message on this thread) I looked what happened to the teams who have been part of the teams that played on the first division on season-4, in order of understanding what have happened to them.

What had been seen, is that teams not been beaten by new teams, but where just leaving the game.

And I will repeat a main concept here:
In case that the first league teams are there solely due to better managers, and not (by any chance) due to the season they started playing at, then there is no reason why not to reset the teams' assets every few years.

This Post:
201579.25 in reply to 201579.21
Date: 11/6/2011 5:03:07 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
And we wee how it is working, right?

This Post:
201579.26 in reply to 201579.24
Date: 11/6/2011 5:05:26 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
your idea is sick, this is a sports simulation game,
I'm not building my financial foundations and later on focusing on training my players, knowing the fact that sooner or later there's going to happen something like a 'soft wipe'

You like the game - stay and play
You get bored - leave

People never play one game for longer that a given certain period of time that is why sometimes they leave because they get bored, or have their particular reasons.

This Post:
201579.27 in reply to 201579.19
Date: 11/6/2011 5:11:24 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
1) As you are only being argueing against the first systme suggested and ignoring the second, I'll repeat it;
"Reset all team's assets every few seasons."

2) Regarding to the story about what will happen to a cap-system and a non-cap one;
Most of the players are built from the TL. Surely this is true in the higher leagues.

You get the same type of players (which is another thing that is needed to be changed) in the sense of skills they are when they are to the draft.

As such, the difference will stay on the money level and building a team.
In case the richer teams will want to compete against the top teams in their league, they will still bring better players (those who will cost more).
For that they will need to pay more, both for the players, and for the tax defined from the soft-cap.

Basically this is exactly what is happening in the NBA.
The large market teams spending above the soft-cap in order of competing with the best teams on the NBA.
Here, the meaning of that is that the differnece in assets will level up, and we will get a more competative game.

This Post:
201579.28 in reply to 201579.22
Date: 11/6/2011 5:18:38 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
NO...
Soft cap will make them pay for any money paid above the salary cap (a cap that will be defined upon average assets on the capped league).
If they will stay below it, it means one of the following (or both):
1) Their players' value is below the average value in the league. Which make them not that strong team.
2) They paid more in the TL than other to acquire better players - meaning they lose money in the process, and made the game more competative for the new seasons to come.

And again, the full ignoring of any other option (like resetting assets once every few seasons).

This Post:
201579.29 in reply to 201579.23
Date: 11/6/2011 5:26:21 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Salary cap prevent to spend extra money to gain advantage.
Not true. the soft cap does allow to spend more, and to pay for is by tax that goes to the other teams in the league.
I suggest that you will read more about the subject. It is an interesting issue.

With salary cap old teams will buy players with better secondaries with the same salary as players in young teams but with worse secondaries.
With which money they will do that? With the same money that creates this advantage.
By that the revenue difference will get smaller.

In addition, as soft-cap can be defined as follows:
1) Player cost - how much did the player cost for the team who bought him.
PLUS
2) The total salaries going to the team's roster.
Due to that, this team will pay agina the tax of going over the soft-cap.
And by the hard-cap will not be able to create huge difference and will need to by smarter and not only by his economic advantage.

This Post:
201579.30 in reply to 201579.27
Date: 11/6/2011 5:33:39 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
1) As you are only being argueing against the first systme suggested and ignoring the second, I'll repeat it;
"Reset all team's assets every few seasons."

It's impossible, so it's out of discussion.
And it's bad idea.

soft-cap.

My story was about hard cap. You talk about soft cap.
My answer is that soft cap in this game practically exists. But it's hidden in formula of wage. If You want to have player who has +1 in every primary skill, then his salary is higher by 50%. It works exactly the same as soft cap (with extra tax/penalty), bacause very often You have to pay 150% of salary instead of 100% for player, who has 104 skill points instead of 100. It's huge difference of salary in comparision to quality of player.
It's not so hard to beat stronger opponent (by using better tactic, enthusiasm managment, etc) if his players have 104 skill points and my players have 100 skill points. But it's veeeeeeeery hard to keep salaries by 50% higher. In this way advantage of older managers could be decreased quicker.

Advertisement