Help - English > Which direction?

Which direction?

Set priority
Show messages by

This Post:
210897.20 in reply to 210897.19
Date: 2/19/2012 3:56:03 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Hey there, CLegend33. Firstly, Bossofbosses has given you some great advice. The general consensus between myself and fellow Aussies in DIv III, III and ABBL is that if you know you can't win, and you're prepared to train and save, then tank. Of course, you need to tank properly.

1. Get your player salary to the floor
2. Make sure you win enough games to stay out of 8th
3. Save cash, train players and build arena
4. Win relegation series (which would involve you buying the players necessary at the right time prior to relegation series)

Some will read this and say tanking is a poor element of this game but hey...it's your call. I'm currently tanking as I am unlikely to break through into Div II unless I can find some cash. In the interim, I am training two great rookies, one who is an Argentian U21 NT player and the second, who will be an Australian U21 NT player. So, tanking is fine if you do it properly...it's just boring as bat shit!

@ Coach D, get out of this thread! Go harrass someone who deserves to be harrassed. As I tell my students, "if your asking questions then your thinking. If your thinking I can teach you!" Get it? Questions = GOOD! Lots of questions = GOOD!

Message deleted
This Post:
210897.23 in reply to 210897.15
Date: 2/19/2012 11:45:43 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah, youre just jumping the gun on giving up :) Last season I was 5-7 at one point. I did not add to my roster and voila a 9 game win streak later I finish the season 14-8 and in 1st place. Only to be beaten in the first round, but thats another story for another day :)

This Post:
210897.24 in reply to 210897.3
Date: 2/19/2012 6:10:31 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I'd for sure stay with your team for the next couple weeks at least to see if you can turn it around. You only lost the first game by ten, and it looks like it was mainly a 4th quarter surge. The second team you played called your Look Inside with a 2-3 zone and also has a handful of really great players on his team. The third team has a very well balanced team with no weak points, and I think played with more enthusiasm than you did, hence the big point spread.
I think a couple other folks have pointed these things out already, but figured I'd toss in my vote for continuing to go for it and not tank. You'll probably do better the next time you play those teams. In the meantime hopefully your next several games will go your way and you can start getting some W's.

This Post:
210897.25 in reply to 210897.24
Date: 2/19/2012 6:56:42 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
With 8000k you can turn your team into a contender like right now. Spending that money would not only make you competitive, but close to promotion.

This Post:
210897.26 in reply to 210897.25
Date: 2/20/2012 11:36:22 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I'd say try to stick it out. It's certainly too early to pack it in if you've been remotely competitive.

This Post:
210897.27 in reply to 210897.15
Date: 2/23/2012 12:39:39 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I started one season 0-5 but still ended up with the best record in the conference. Often you can be just missing that one critical piece to turn those 5 point losses into 5 point wins.

You have been given some excellent strategic advice about making and sticking to long term plans and avoiding mediocrity.

Off this topic but related to another post of your about Harlen(?) where you said it was peaceful and low crime because everyone has guns.

I stayed in a youth hostel in China once and was sharing a room with two USA students. I said I did not konw a single person who owned a gun, they said they didn't know a single person who didn't have a gun. I said I have never known of anyone ever, friend, relative, friend of an uncles friend's neighbour that had been shot. They said they knew many close friends and relatives that had been, some sadly fatally. You said you don't need to lock your doors. My old Ford Falcon had a broken lock so I didn't lock it for three years until the police finally took it off the road for good. My old house was never locked. Often the front door was completly open with no-one home (I admit I didn't like that because it was often full of flies). When I ride my bike to the local shops I just lean it against the wall. No guns, no problems.

Last edited by yodabig at 2/23/2012 12:41:10 AM

This Post:
210897.28 in reply to 210897.27
Date: 2/23/2012 12:15:12 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I started one season 0-5 but still ended up with the best record in the conference. Often you can be just missing that one critical piece to turn those 5 point losses into 5 point wins.

You have been given some excellent strategic advice about making and sticking to long term plans and avoiding mediocrity.

Off this topic but related to another post of your about Harlen(?) where you said it was peaceful and low crime because everyone has guns.

I stayed in a youth hostel in China once and was sharing a room with two USA students. I said I did not konw a single person who owned a gun, they said they didn't know a single person who didn't have a gun. I said I have never known of anyone ever, friend, relative, friend of an uncles friend's neighbour that had been shot. They said they knew many close friends and relatives that had been, some sadly fatally. You said you don't need to lock your doors. My old Ford Falcon had a broken lock so I didn't lock it for three years until the police finally took it off the road for good. My old house was never locked. Often the front door was completly open with no-one home (I admit I didn't like that because it was often full of flies). When I ride my bike to the local shops I just lean it against the wall. No guns, no problems.

Good info.

Yea, I have to admit, I don't know anyone who does not own a gun. In fact, most own a few guns.

I promise you this, I've slept for years with a gun under one pillow of my bed, me using the other pillow. If I wake up and an intruder is in my room, well, you know how that story is likely to end. Shoot first, ask questions later. You know the saying, "I'd rather be judged by 12 than carried by six."

Most don't need guns around here, but they have them just in case.

The main problem is, we have a major drug epidemic in the USA. If someone from the US tells you they live in a town without a major drug problem, they're either lying, or on drugs themselves. Drugs have taken control of people's lives here and because of that, they break into homes and steal to be able to afford drugs. When they break into the home and someone is home, they will often kill the home owner so they cannot tell and send them to prison. So it pays to have a gun to protect your family.

Thanks for the info. I'm currently 0-4 in my league and planning to buy some better players off the TL before my next league game. I put my three aging vets on the TL because they simple are not good enough for this level, and am planning to spend nearly $1M on three better replacements before my next league game. But I've lost hope of being able to finish any higher than 5th in my league. The teams are just too good to catch up to after being behind by 4 games.

This Post:
210897.29 in reply to 210897.11
Date: 2/23/2012 3:55:30 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I had same dilemma last year. I sold few players, and decided to play relegation games. I lost 6-7 games in a row, saved enthusiasm and was ready for final games. I had excellent GS, great enthusiasm and what happened? I lost! From a team that had a bit higher salaries, but awful GS. Sadly, I have to play in Div 2, where I have no competition. I had no luck :) Why i told you this? 1. I think your team has the quality to stay in 4th Div, but you have a problem with GS. Fix it, its not so hard (the easiest way - Your player can play whole game plus one game as sub) 2. Play take it easy against 4 best teams, and try to win 5-6 games against teams with worse players than you have (I see 3 teams that you can beat- easy 4 wins). SAve your enthusiasm, read carefully forum threads, there are some that can help :) So final advice : Try to stay in D4! I hope I wasnt boring. Good luck!

This Post:
210897.30 in reply to 210897.28
Date: 2/24/2012 7:43:31 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I had a quick look at your team and your situation.

Your cup run is over, the Jack Rabbits will destroy you, I would advise not even trying, send in some scrubs and a trainee, play TIE and get ready for the next league game.

Your team:

You have been told how key GS is so from next week you need to be very careful about it. Good options include:
Starting two games with decent backups.
Playing 48+ one game and backup in another.
STarting one game and playing backup in two.
Being the reserve in three games in a week (but can be a bit low if the quality gap is large)

Your stars should never be playing three games a week unless two are as backup.

Your players:
Aren't impressive.
Nicola Chillemi (5792377) is horrible in every way glad you are selling him.
Raphaƫl Tison (2566359) is very bad.
Dennis Magee (10588768) is ok but has the deadly flaw he shares with the other two of being a disgusting passer.

Of your players of salaries $10,000 or more (then there is a massive gap to $5,824) you have two centers, three small forwards and a power forward. Doesn't look very balanced with not one good guard.

It looks like Noe Jarvis (22361315) ia your PG is that right?

Advertisement