BB Global (English) > Soft cap.

Soft cap.

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
84203.20 in reply to 84203.19
Date: 4/6/2009 9:32:21 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
so why are guardskills for the cap of the center so unimportant?

i don't believe that a aless trained guardskill is so unimportant for a guard, so i expect that respectable JS makes more different for a "only PG" then for a Center. So why it makes you so sure that this theory is wrong?

This Post:
84203.21 in reply to 84203.20
Date: 4/6/2009 9:53:55 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think that the way BB is designed, any player can be made into any position. So capping guard skills makes no sense. I think the cap is either

a) total skill levels
b) salary
c) some combination of the two

This Post:
84203.22 in reply to 84203.21
Date: 4/6/2009 10:34:21 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think it's total skill levels...

I have an all-star PG who has hit his soft-cap... Here are his skills:

Jump Shot: prodigious Jump Range: respectable
Outside Def.: prolific Handling: prodigious ↑
Driving: prodigious Passing: prolific
Inside Shot: average Inside Def.: inept
Rebounding: average Shot Blocking: awful
Stamina: mediocre Free Throw: average

Experience: awful

So, without Stamina and Free Throws, he has 96 skills, and 107 with those two... It took me 3 weeks of 1 on 1 to lift up his Handling, and last season he would pop already in JS, HND and DRV...

This Post:
84203.24 in reply to 84203.19
Date: 4/6/2009 12:28:44 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
This does make sense, but I dont realy like it.

Lets say that a SG is capped at 15 in all guard skills and a center at whatever (i have no idea since i dont have this kind of players) for the same potential.

Then for training the optimal player i need to stop training him in outside skills at 14 in one skill and push his inside skills until the centercap hits him.

Ok, this is just an example. I know there are 3 other caps (maybe) that he might hit on his way. And all skills might influence all softcaps, just more or less, so he still hits the SG cap before the center. But the logic still holds that there are a point when you have to change the training, and one training too much might ruin the player ;)

Cap does not work this way -- it's a salary limit, not a skill limit. There is no such thing as a "guard cap" or "center cap" -- there is one cap that can be reached by training different combinations of skills.

You do know that you contradict yourself, right? Since you say its based on salary, there are "5 ways" to calculate salary and the above then stands.

/Mannen

To: Deaa
This Post:
84203.25 in reply to 84203.22
Date: 4/6/2009 1:13:15 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
i have a all star shooting guard with more skills and three ups in the last 2 weeks.

so no signs for hitting the soft cap for rudolph holzer.

He has only one skill about 11...so i favour the salary idea.

This Post:
84203.26 in reply to 84203.25
Date: 4/6/2009 2:11:38 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I certainly believe it is a salary cap. In the experience we have seen in BB there is one common thing related to all the theories we have created so far: The actual way in wich BB works seems to be simpler that what we actually thought. Right Josef?

I strongly think the cap is salary based, no matter wich is the best position for a player if he hits his salary cap(based on potential) he will slow down his training on a step. A direct and simple set, nothing more than that. And it will be over, you can continue to shift between best positions trough training and salary will continue to increase, but as I already pointed out, the soft cap had been reach before.

I believe that what is confusing some people is the concept of potential they have and the fact that they see many different combinations of skills for the same positions that leads to the cap. In fact, some of us have seen two players with the same critical skills and salary for C position and one of them continue to train as usual while the other one trains with a much more slower training speed, perhaps, due to the reach of his cap. This has leads me to think that potential, as BB-Forrest somewhat said "everything in BB have sublevels except Staff", has sublevels. So an allstar center could reach his soft cap in 50k or maybe 60k depending if he is, for saying, 6.1 or 6.7 in his potential.

This would explain many things and like leyendinha has told, based on those assumptions, we are looking for information in order to continue to develop some intervals for every potential. With the information provided by the skills of many players we use the coefficients of salary obtained by Josef Ka in order to estimate the real salary a players is having when a manager told us that he's player is not training at the usual speed. This is the information we need, so If some others NT managers could help us out with more information -there is no need to say name, position or anything- just something like "We had player that slow downs his training when he was around 120k and have potential 7", It will be of high value for us.

Last edited by Zero, the Magi. at 4/6/2009 2:19:16 PM

This Post:
84203.28 in reply to 84203.27
Date: 4/6/2009 3:06:41 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Sublevels is the way to think it. Just think as this, there might be an allstar of 6.9 and there could be an perinneal allstar of potential 7.0.

Both players would reach their soft caps in very similar salaries.

The same logic applies between an allstar of 6.0 and an allstar of 6.9 could also explain in very satisfactory fashion why a player capped at 90-100k and other capped at 48-50k. Being consistent and completely possible, sublevels seems to be the most logic and realistic answer. Because when you consider the exponential growth in salaries and assume an exponential growth in the softs cap salaries of potential, everything starts to puzzle up.

Last edited by Zero, the Magi. at 4/6/2009 3:10:56 PM

This Post:
84203.29 in reply to 84203.24
Date: 4/6/2009 3:16:26 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
This does make sense, but I dont realy like it.

Lets say that a SG is capped at 15 in all guard skills and a center at whatever (i have no idea since i dont have this kind of players) for the same potential.

Then for training the optimal player i need to stop training him in outside skills at 14 in one skill and push his inside skills until the centercap hits him.

Ok, this is just an example. I know there are 3 other caps (maybe) that he might hit on his way. And all skills might influence all softcaps, just more or less, so he still hits the SG cap before the center. But the logic still holds that there are a point when you have to change the training, and one training too much might ruin the player ;)

Cap does not work this way -- it's a salary limit, not a skill limit. There is no such thing as a "guard cap" or "center cap" -- there is one cap that can be reached by training different combinations of skills.

You do know that you contradict yourself, right? Since you say its based on salary, there are "5 ways" to calculate salary and the above then stands.

As a whole, your argument is quite confusing.

You talk about "center cap" by which you probably mean "a combination of skills for the center position which will put you over the potential cap". However, the assumption that there are 5 ways to reach the cap is erroneous -- there is an infinite amount of ways to reach the cap, given that even within positions, you can train different skills to get to where you want to go.

Either way, what does "training the optimal player" even means? If I understand your argument, you're trying to train as much skills as you can before capping out. However, if we view a player as having primary position skills, and other skills, it's theoretically always possible to train 1 less level of a primary skill to get extra secondaries, which doesn't necessarily make the player any less perfect.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
84203.30 in reply to 84203.28
Date: 4/6/2009 3:17:29 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Okay, sure. Are you saying that all 6.0 potential players cap at 50k or so? and sublevels change the cap.

I just don't think it is based on position

Advertisement