BB Global (English) > New daytrading rules

New daytrading rules (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
264414.207 in reply to 264414.206
Date: 11/14/2014 11:47:52 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think one of Wolph's points is that many of the changes force a specific kind of behavior. With all the attention being given to having "stable" rosters, there is very little attention being given to tanking, which I consider to be a much more important issue.

If you look at the people affected, I would bet that there are a lot more people who more or less would have broken even and now lose 100 -200k per transaction.

This Post:
264414.210 in reply to 264414.208
Date: 11/14/2014 11:01:50 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
, as always if we change things, it's important to think on all the possible outcomes that would create.

I know it's a lot of work but it would be useful to have an idea of whether the new rules hurts day-traders more or people like me who try to continuously upgrade by buying budget players. To me what should be discouraged is the predatory pricing (on a side note, I hate the people who start the bidding at $4 million plus) but not the searching of the market for good players.

I like the idea that someone had of just starting all players listed at $1. That would take care of most of the abuses.

This Post:
264414.211 in reply to 264414.210
Date: 11/14/2014 11:06:01 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
And I would have no problem with autobid for Supporters only. It would be time saving without being a competitive bar.

This Post:
264414.213 in reply to 264414.210
Date: 11/15/2014 6:58:46 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I like the idea that someone had of just starting all players listed at $1. That would take care of most of the abuses.
yeah, hrudey suggested to link the starting prices to how long you held the player. The market in BB isn't as liquid as in Hattrick, it is indeed possible that good players will go for less that the expected price, because not enough buyers are there to compete for their signing.

Ditto on autobid for supporters. As I said, I'm not supporter myself, but I would like supporters to have it. Autobids just increase the liquidity of the transfer market. Even if it's 10% of users who get it, it would be great. If you want the convenience, you get supporter and Marin gets his $40 and loses some ads revenue. If you don't want it, you'll be just in the same situation as today, you'll log in when the auction ends, no changes there whatsoever. If the tool is easy to develop, but Marin is afraid of the money inflow impact, I would suggest he gives it a try for a season to supporters and see how much the ads revenues per user will drop.

Last edited by Lemonshine at 11/15/2014 7:00:20 AM

This Post:
264414.214 in reply to 264414.212
Date: 11/15/2014 8:05:15 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
The main effect of the "too many players sold" was earlier this season when I wanted to trade up for one player but I would only have got ~60% for him. Now it's up to 82% so I'm fine with that. Typically, I only list my players once and don't make or lose too much, although I am making small profits on sales now.

Anyway, the main reason I don't like the taxes (including on quick sales) is because it doesn't really discourage listing high - it just means that one lists 2 players a season instead of every week - and it weights the game in favor of those who have the patience to collect money for several seasons and buy the good young players. It makes it harder for those with not much money who look for elderly players for a season or two. Buying at 300k and selling at 200k is not a big loss.

This Post:
264414.216 in reply to 264414.215
Date: 11/15/2014 2:39:16 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

As I understand your posts, the main abusive practice of daytraders that you and others are trying to address is listing players way high, then if they don’t sell relisting a bit lower, and repeating the process, still at way high prices, until someone stupidly buys him. I totally agree with you that that is an abuse that should be stopped. But most real auctions have what is called a reserve, and the ability to set a starting price in BB works much like a reserve, which has a valid use. Doing away with that hurts everybody equally. A better solution would be to ban relisting of a player who didn’t sell for a month or two. That would introduce a time element that would put a serious dent in the abusive practice.

And I would have no problem with autobid for Supporters only. It would be time saving without being a competitive bar.

Yeah, but time saving for whom? For the daytrader to whom the players are completely fungible, nothing but a commodity to be bought and sold ... or for the serious manager who identifies a player or two who would have an important role on his team? For the daytrader, autobid is GREAT; he can bid on scores of players and never bother to follow up. If he gets them, fine; if not, fine too, because there never was any intent to employ the player in a significant role on his team. The daytrader figures he’ll get enough players to flip for a profit with less work required than currently. I suspect most of the most active daytraders have this figured out already, and this underlies their advocacy of autobid. It would be a wonderful tool for daytraders. BUT for the serious manager who wants a particular player or two to fill an important role on his team, autobid is no help. He still has to be there at the conclusion of the auction to do his best to obtain the key player(s).

Advertisement