Date: 2/4/2010 6:28:52 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
boost but not in this dimension ;)

This Post:
130277.23 in reply to 130277.22
Date: 2/5/2010 4:23:44 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
"It's the whole beauty of unpredictable life."

I wish I could share your detachment, but I think I speak for the majority of mankind that we seek to limit or control our risks. That is why I would suggest, if we accept the possibility of career-threatening injury or loss of skills, that we also have a chance to insure against such a catastrophe.

I would think it could work similar to our decision to scout, with x amount of dollars per week buying x amount of insurance for the team. The mechanism by which the insurance is claimed would require some thought, but perhaps related to a multiple of the player's weekly salary. Big teams with big salary loads would have the chance to buy more insurance, little teams might choose to save $500,000 to cover such a loss of a div. IV star. An NBBA team loses the equivalent of a Greg Oden, collects the insurance, a lump sum of, say 3 million, then can go out buy another such player, promote that promising 22 year old, or some other option. For realism's sake, the "Greg Oden" is then released, with a dramatic drop in skill levels (say, everything cut in half), and as a free agent tries to land with another team.

This Post:
130277.24 in reply to 130277.1
Date: 2/5/2010 7:47:27 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Love first three suggestions, not so much the fourth one.

First does that in a way already, in cases where a player is being trained. If a player gets injured, he can't train, so it has the effect as if he lost a few skills.

If two ever gets implemented, it would go hand in hand with the draft. It would have to be more hands on, managers should have more control over it.

Three, have players who are early vs. late bloomers.