Suggestions > Optional Alternative Name Based On Your Nationality

Optional Alternative Name Based On Your Nationality

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
177416.22 in reply to 177416.21
Date: 3/23/2011 12:28:31 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
It's just an additional side name, it shouldn't confuse anyone just as if you qoute a player by a nickname

It would however make the appearance of the game much more confusing if two names were shown for each player. When a player moves from one team to another, there would even be a change in the naming. Another source of confusion.

This Post:
177416.23 in reply to 177416.21
Date: 3/23/2011 8:48:37 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think this is a strange, pointless and silly idea... you know, since I'm not a xenophobe.

This Post:
177416.24 in reply to 177416.23
Date: 3/24/2011 11:44:21 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
OK I admit there are more important things needed to be changed so this can be on hold for now.

But I can see how many would take this completely out of context and falsely believe this is too complicated to implement, to confusing, can't work.... I already had people missing the point where I mentioned secondary names have no effect on original names and where they are placed.

Unfortunately the people who would seem to most like something like this are once who probably can't speak english and are mainly familiar with their nation and language only. For those people it be easier to relate to players of their own nation more comforting and more pleasant to get into the game so if it does that calling this strange, pointless, and silly idea is silly. Being that I'm familiar with Israel and half Israeli, I'll say I'd like to have Israeli names around if I played in Israel so it feels more like me and part of my country and like a team I can relate in the basketball leagues in Israel (called Ligat Ha'Al) who mostly have Israelis playing with some foreigners. But most of all if I didn't know English then seeing the Hebrew names would be nice.

This Post:
177416.25 in reply to 177416.23
Date: 3/24/2011 12:43:17 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
If even one person in the world ends up learning a new language because of BB, then it's a good thing.

The whole thing isn't about remembering but the joy comfort of someone of your country.

Some people prefer besides remembering names also having the joyful comfort of players from their own nation as opposed to stranger.

WTF does joyful comfort even mean? Is that some kind of buddhist phylosophy? Teach me.

[...]as opposed to random names of bunch of foreign mix salad.

What's wrong with diversity?

I think this is a strange, pointless and silly idea... you know, since I'm not a xenophobe.

ZING!

I feel like for so many that excitment completely diminshes when you saying"Dang, that Xanopylaksipotatos Granzischbloobloo is a stud".

I know, it can be difficult sometimes. But maybe you look up his name on wikipedia and find out that a lot of Greek people who have "Xanopylaksipotatos" on their passport, are in fact just called "Xano" in real life? You know like Bob for Robert, Bill for William. That would broaden your horizon a little bit, instead of staying confined inside your "joyful comfort".

"Air is beautiful, yet you cannot see it. It's soft, yet you cannot touch it. Air is a little like my brain." - Jean-Claude Van Damme
This Post:
177416.26 in reply to 177416.25
Date: 3/24/2011 1:08:55 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
OK you got this completely wrong, you made it sound like I'm xenophobic or racist which I'm not. You are also making arguments as if you strictly have to have the alternative names when you don't at all, even if you do choose so you can have more guys in your teams with names of people from your country, it be shown on the side, not replacing the real name which will always be there and the same.

If my name was for example Wilhem, and I went to USA and said I didn't want to be called William, would that make me xenophobic or racist?

The point that I'm trying to make is that it be cool to have names associated with your country. After all, there are alternative names you see in different countries all around the world in real life, like Wilhem is William in German, Etienne is Steve in French... There are in fact all sorts of American names for people in China/Taiwan (I know because I have some friends from there). Because such names in real life exist, does that mean those that created it are xenophobic?

What I'm suggesting is much simpler and helpful and can give a tool to people something that they would like. You and chris902 have taken this into way out of context and start thinking this is an act of xenophobia. By now it seems most people missed the point of what I'm really suggesting because if you knew, then you wouldn't even come close to such accusation. Try to read again some of the things I said and most importantly understand that this is a much simpler and minor implementation than you make it out to be.

Last edited by Coach_Gil at 3/24/2011 1:13:02 PM

This Post:
177416.28 in reply to 177416.27
Date: 3/24/2011 1:55:14 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
When I have time I'll put an image showing exactly what I have in mind. It should clear alot of the confusion that goes around here, particularly that the original name becomes less available than before when it isn't the case.

This Post:
177416.29 in reply to 177416.28
Date: 3/24/2011 4:53:49 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
What exactly is an "American" name?

This Post:
177416.31 in reply to 177416.30
Date: 3/24/2011 5:34:36 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
And Garcia and Rodríguez and the 8th and 9th most popular surnames based on the 2000 census (I can imagine that will change considerably this time around). My point is that this whole suggestion is premised on an idealized concept of what it means to be "American" which is not reflective of anything real. It's a myth about American homogeneity.

Advertisement