Suggestions > Remove Injuries

Remove Injuries (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by

This Post:
215737.22 in reply to 215737.21
Date: 5/8/2012 9:59:02 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I support this suggestion, I mean a realistic game is nice, but I just lost three seasons of planning to field the right team at the right time because two of my guards went down in the last week resulting in a one point loss in the first round of the playoffs against an outside oriented team. I don't wanna just complain because I was denied promotion, but when a team receives multiple injuries towards the end of the season it can destroy months of time put into this game which does result in a 'net loss of enjoyment'.

This Post:
215737.23 in reply to 215737.22
Date: 5/8/2012 10:11:48 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
That definitely stinks!! But in some ways deciding to field just 7 players implicitly accepts a significant risk of a bad outcome in the event of an injury. That's a reasonable strategic decision to make, and it seemed to serve you pretty well during the regular season (if that's how you did it). You fielded fewer players with higher average salaries, and benefited from their overall better performance. But in so doing, you chose to leave your team without an insurance policy in the event of an injury.

This Post:
215737.24 in reply to 215737.23
Date: 5/8/2012 10:14:50 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I had eight players but my starting SG didn't suit up due to an existing injury. My starting PG went down in the middle of the game leaving my team with a OD crisis. I admit only having eight players on a team was risky, but I still had more injuries than any other playoff team. I'm writing it off to bad luck. Very frustrating when an injury or two happens at that point in the season.

This Post:
215737.25 in reply to 215737.23
Date: 5/8/2012 11:39:27 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
It would be less of a problem if there was more control with rotations.

LCD plays starters too much and isnt ideal for training. SFDC is my pref setting for min and training purposes, but it's rigid and if an injury occurs you're in trouble. There is no easy fix for this as its the reality of a game in which all the planning is done pre-game without any ability to make adjustments after tip-off.

It's hard enough to control substititions which drive results, game shape, and training. Also consider how awful injuries are in real life. Doctors have been able to reduce and improve the length and severity of injuries. What if in real life they could be greatly reduced to the point where they avoid deciding championships and careers, wouldn't that be amazing?

Basically, removing injuries would cut out one layer of complexity/randomness, but that can be or already is compensated by aspects of BB that are, on paper, more complex and difficult to control compared to real life. Plus, its one of the worst realities of real life sports.

Last edited by brian at 5/8/2012 11:42:53 AM

"Well, no ones gonna top that." - http://tinyurl.com/noigttt

This Post:
215737.26 in reply to 215737.25
Date: 5/8/2012 12:13:04 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
...It's hard enough to control substititions which drive results, game shape, and training. Also consider how awful injuries are in real life. Doctors have been able to reduce and improve the length and severity of injuries. What if in real life they could be greatly reduced to the point where they avoid deciding championships and careers, wouldn't that be amazing?

Frankly, I don't think it'd necessarily be amazing. Even in real life the prospect of a random injury gives teams an added layer of strategic thinking to prepare for things. And I say this as a New England Patriot fan, who were screwed over by Bernard Pollard twice. What if Brady hadn't gotten hurt in 2008? What if Gronkowski hadn't been injured for the Superbowl? Who knows, unanswerable questions. Though at least in the Brady injury, you could see that the Patriots planning benefited them, as they went 11-5 with Matt Cassell. There are endless examples of this in real sports, and it makes for great drama and great debates!

That being said, some greater flexibility of rotations would be awesome. Especially a choice to completely change the lineup and substitution pattern when an injury occurs.

This Post:
215737.27 in reply to 215737.25
Date: 5/8/2012 12:44:17 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
LCD plays starters too much and isnt ideal for training. SFDC is my pref setting for min and training purposes, but it's rigid and if an injury occurs you're in trouble.
I totaly agree.
Currently, it does NOT function as intended.

One would expect (and as described) the following:
1) SFDC - In case there are subs, it will go upon the DC. The minutes will be upon DC as well.

2) LCD - The coach can do anything he thinks and decides. BUT, it is expected to be logic...
To give a player who is best as C to play his worse position (PG), and not due to the fact that the other alternatives are worse, is an algorithm bug as well.

3) FDC - The minutes and subs will be upon DC, but the coach has some say about that.
It means, that he can play by SOME DEGREE with that, and not to throw all tactic into the garbage when the game begins (which is exactly what currently happens and should NOT happen).

4) FDD from 4th Q - An expected combination between (3) and (2).

Currently there is only real one option to choose - (1).
All the others are just misleading, and causing lots of unexpected trouble to those who do uses them.
One can at least expect that they will be blocked...

This Post:
215737.28 in reply to 215737.27
Date: 5/8/2012 12:55:45 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
As I said, I definitely agree that substitution patterns currently are very idiosyncratic, and could certainly be better described, and hopefully changed at some point. But that's a completely different topic than the Injuries discussion in this thread.

This Post:
215737.29 in reply to 215737.28
Date: 5/8/2012 1:59:44 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Imo currently it's simple. Don't care about minutes and want to win whatever it takes → LCD. Want some predictability in minutes and get your weak trainees in for minutes SFDC.
Yes injuries do screw up minutes, but that's why you have a 12 player roster set up for games. Too many or too early fouls might also screw up minutes, let's eliminate fouls in game aswell?

This Post:
215737.30 in reply to 215737.26
Date: 5/8/2012 2:08:55 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
There are endless examples of this in real sports, and it makes for great drama and great debates!

I can see some silver-lining examples of drama created by injury, but would much prefer to see healthy fully available teams and superstars battle it out.

The eastern conference playoffs would be much more interesting if rose, noah, howard, josh smith, jeremy lin, amare (im sure im missing others) were 100% healthy. No doubt that will be reflected in TV ratings as well.

This Post:
215737.31 in reply to 215737.30
Date: 5/8/2012 2:10:31 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Sadly, I don't think anything would make the NBA playoffs more exciting, or exciting at all. :)

This Post:
215737.32 in reply to 215737.29
Date: 5/8/2012 2:12:09 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
let's eliminate fouls in game aswell?

Nice strawman. Thats not what I suggested.

Advertisement