BuzzerBeater Forums

Help - English > GE JS tweaks this season???

GE JS tweaks this season???

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
269954.23 in reply to 269954.22
Date: 5/7/2015 4:52:58 AM
Sin City inFamous
IV.16
Overall Posts Rated:
IN case you missed it, Marin admitted it, they have infact tweakd the GE in regards to shooting this season.

So perhaps people can use this thread as a place to discuss what they are seeing and what they think has changed/how it impacts play going forward for all of us...?

Seriously, do you want to discuss this experiment? we all have excuse about next match defeat, due to shooting (better, 3pt) % changing.

This kind of modify represent is a lack of respect By the BBs for the users... Because it seems the tweak happens match by match..

This Post:
269954.25 in reply to 269954.24
Date: 5/7/2015 8:42:46 AM
Sin City inFamous
IV.16
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm not against the change. I''m against the change every match.

But i've to be realist: probably changes doesn't affect too much, because the shooting % it's a thing i don't care too much (I like more defence)

So, starting to think and study:

I noticed just now my PG shooted 9/12 in last match. It seems this main change is done to PG's, for now. what do you think?

PS: My pg and my sg are same in the external skills, except DR-HD (More for Gervais)

Last edited by GM-Dyd at 5/7/2015 8:43:02 AM

This Post:
269954.27 in reply to 269954.26
Date: 5/7/2015 9:22:12 AM
Sin City inFamous
IV.16
Overall Posts Rated:
let's see, and try to add data to our analysis.

Just to know, last match i played with 13-13-14 in PA for PG-SG-SF.

This Post:
269954.28 in reply to 269954.27
Date: 5/7/2015 9:47:42 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I have 3 trainees playing 1-3 in the cup today (Utopia) and I'm shooting 7/9 in the first half of the game playing inside ISO. Even against terrible defenses I don't believe that could be considered a normal number.

Marin said it should be a very limited amount, but it sure doesn't look negligible. I think we'll need at least half a season to assess the impact of whatever has been modified and draw a sensible conclusion.

Edit: I'm not playing a bot, I'm playing the 350ish ranked team in the "country".

Edit2: They finished 9/18 from the field. Still pretty good. The guy going 4/6 has 17 skill points between JS/JR and he mostly took open shots. (85026711). If they did minimal changes to the average FG% or the impact on team defense on open shots I'd be super happy.

Last edited by Lemonshine at 5/7/2015 11:36:13 AM

This Post:
269954.29 in reply to 269954.22
Date: 5/7/2015 11:16:07 AM
TrenseRI
III.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
ChiLeaders
IN case you missed it, Marin admitted it, they have infact tweakd the GE in regards to shooting this season.

So perhaps people can use this thread as a place to discuss what they are seeing and what they think has changed/how it impacts play going forward for all of us...?
How did you figure that? This season? Please quote my exact words.

Seriously, do you want to discuss this experiment? we all have excuse about next match defeat, due to shooting (better, 3pt) % changing.

This kind of modify represent is a lack of respect By the BBs for the users... Because it seems the tweak happens match by match..
This is even worse. Who said it's happening match by match? Please don't spread false information. And I don't think this is respectful behavior.

Let me get this straight: I will not condone these kinds of threads which do nothing but spread unnecessary uncertainty and panic. Try to be reasonable and don't fabricate nor put words into my mouth. Final warning.

This Post:
269954.30 in reply to 269954.22
Date: 5/7/2015 11:52:27 AM
Fab Five
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Fabulous Five
Questions and answers related to this topic by Marin in the last ask a BB:
F: Did you change shooting %s. IF not, are you still considering it. IF yes, are you going to be testing any said changes soon in PL/scrimmages etc....
F: I've made some minor adjustments which may or may not have affected some shooting percentages (threes in this case). We are still trying to determine if and how much these changes affected the percentages. We did it to all match types and will continue to do so, altering things little by little.

I refuse to comment on allegations made based on one match. As a statistician, you should why.

Is this going to be reversed if it becomes evident that the effect is larger than expected? And what would constitute too large? 10%, 15%, 20%? Looking at my league statistics from my 2 leagues it looks like around 10%, maybe more, increase in 3pt FG%, but of course we need more data.
You know that I cannot disclose everything, especially not such specific things as percentages. I'll give you a hint though, it's much less.
Looking at only 2 leagues cannot give you a good picture. Looking at just one player, even less so.

1. What - if any - changes are you planning on making to increase the effectiveness of a 3pt shot? When could we expect such changes?

2. What besides having a good amount of JS and JR on a player can you do to increase his percentage?

3. Will having two or three good shooters help increase their respective individual 3pt%?
1. We are working on slowly increasing it, and it's a very long term thing. I cannot disclose much more at this point, sorry.
2. and 3. Can't/won't say. Figure it out! [ :P]

1) I'd also like to know what kind of minor adjustment have been made (in short - scaling OD down or upping JR) if you'd be willing to comment on that; also in relation to outside shooting, this time taking open shots and flow into account, is it true that open shots thus far have been "guarded" in such a way that team rating in OD has been applied to them? If so, I don't think this makes much sense. Would you consider slashing that effect in half (since it completely defeats the purpose of having good flow and getting open looks, which by their very nature are not contested) if you didn't do that already (and of course if you want to explicitly comment on what I said re open outside shots)?
1) It's hard for me to get into such specifics without revealing too much, as much of this game depends on users figuring things out for themselves. This applies to game engine changes too. Sorry.

#1 PLEASE don't make it only about JS. This will killl the team play of the game. PA and HA have to be a factor. Easier said than done I know. I don't have enough data, but what I am seeing so far, HA/PA/JR seem to mean a lot less, as does OD...and it seems like JS is all you need. I hate that idea. Jumpshooters are crap without a team to back them, and like Memphis beating GS in game two, good defence will foil the best shooters in the world. (well at least for 1 game...who knows how the rest of the series will pan out!!!)
I assure you, it's not only JS that you need. I cannot disclose details especially since I would really need to check the code again to remind me of how it exactly works but I am certain of that, it's not enough to have just JS! Also, thanks for the Memphis - GS spoiler, I was planning to watch a replay of it now... Just kidding! But don't tell me any other results though [ :)]

This Post:
269954.31 in reply to 269954.30
Date: 5/7/2015 12:19:21 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah I suggest we wait a bit longer and gather data, although it will be extremely hard to pinpoint whether the change which Marin alluded to is a GE change or a skill change (the difference being that a GE change will affect every player across the board and is not necessarily impacted by "primary" skills).

I will go back and track 4-5 players with very high JR and see if there is any noticeable difference there.

Honestly I think it's either a change into guarded shots/flow or a very small boost in JR, but I could be completely wrong. Whether they changed a skill or the GE is kind of important, because if the GE has been changed, it's possible that multiple skills could affect 3pt FG% indirectly (most notably handling and passing through flow).

Last edited by Lemonshine at 5/7/2015 12:21:14 PM

This Post:
269954.32 in reply to 269954.20
Date: 5/7/2015 12:23:39 PM
Fab Five
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Fabulous Five

He said a lot more than I expected about shooting. He admitted the change but at the same time said it is a small tweak, a lot less than 10% ¿3-4-5%?
I still don't know what game you where referring to the other day and it doesn't really matter. I only answer in this thread because I started to see less experienced managers getting carried away because of one game and jumping into conclusions that are possibly wrong and have an easier explanation in GS and entusiasm at the start of the season.
Anyway, all changes to the GE are really important so... ¿should I build my team like the Warriors or like the Grizzlies? I know, the answer is the Spurs (NBA championships: 2014, 2007, 2005, 2003, 1999).

Advertisement