Help - English > Basic Training Advice

Basic Training Advice

Set priority
Show messages by

This Post:
126355.23 in reply to 126355.22
Date: 1/4/2010 12:30:11 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well, that is exactly my point, though. The secondary ups are in handling and JS. Since when has it been a problem to train those on a guard directly. There is no need to get creative here. A more direct approach is more appropriate. Plus JS and handling training give more useful secondary pops of their own. At least with forwards one on one you get some pops in IS as well. I mean why would anyone want to use their left hand to scratch their right ear?

This Post:
126355.24 in reply to 126355.23
Date: 1/4/2010 12:42:56 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
i like two position 1 on 1 more then Hndling for two position, and some weeks even a single position trainer goes two position ... In the most of them that should be JS, but it isn't wasted time in my eyes, even when it isn't really necessary.

This Post:
126355.25 in reply to 126355.24
Date: 1/4/2010 3:09:29 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Are you talking about one on one for guards or forwards. And the point I was making wasn't so much that it was a waste of time as much as it wasn't necessary, while adding salary to a skill that won't be as useful as if that money was spent on a more useful skill, like OD. I guess in the past driving was more important, but from what I have read combined with my own experience, with the new engine game flow is more important now. And OD is the #1 skill for guards in my opinion anyways cost effectiveness wise.

This Post:
126355.26 in reply to 126355.25
Date: 1/4/2010 3:24:18 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
i don't think that it was in the past more important, and the salary impact is very very small. I talk about both training, te forward trainign don't give that much extra up, at least in my experience hthe JS up take longer and IS comes pretty rare.

This Post:
126355.27 in reply to 126355.26
Date: 1/4/2010 3:46:10 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
It's smaller for SG, but it's more for PG. Here is an example. I got this guy cheap a few days ago and will give him training.

Weekly salary: $ 3 688

DMI: 7300
Height: 6'1" / 185 cm
Potential: allstar
Game Shape: average
Jump Shot: respectable Jump Range: pitiful
Outside Def.: average Handling: awful
Driving: inept Passing: respectable
Inside Shot: respectable Inside Def.: inept
Rebounding: average Shot Blocking: atrocious
Stamina: atrocious Free Throw: atrocious

Experience: atrocious

The main thing I will train for him will be OD along with some JS and passing. If I train one on one I feel like he will cap before he gets all the training I have planned for him. I don't want to exchange an extra pop or two in driving for a pop in OD since it is more important.

This Post:
126355.28 in reply to 126355.27
Date: 1/4/2010 4:07:43 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I am curious -- what do you see as this player's skill set when you have finished? and what time frame do you see needing to reach these planned skill levels?

This Post:
126355.29 in reply to 126355.28
Date: 1/4/2010 4:26:15 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I am about to start training passing and OD on my main trainees. I had a spot open, and got this guy. He will be a defensive minded backup PG early. If I choose to keep him, he will be a starter later on. Time will show how he ends up, but he will have enough passing and JS to get by and lots of OD. I will probably give him some handling training late to round him of.

P.S. Time wise I don't know maybe 4-6 seasons depending on how much or how little one position training I choose to do.

Last edited by Batman at 1/4/2010 4:30:18 PM

This Post:
126355.30 in reply to 126355.29
Date: 1/4/2010 7:31:43 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I've trained the USA U21's #1 Guard and my focus has been mostly on One-on-One with Pressure, Passing and Outside shooting worked in as well. I find the value of the Driving to be quite high, as well as the number of JS pops that come from One-on-One training. As for training Jump Shot, I've found it to be much less beneficial for my team to train it than the One-on-One. As a result, his skills have become pretty impressive and well-rounded. I've rarely trained jump shot, and yet his JS is already prodigious and he's still 21 with some more pops yet to come. The bonus of the One-on-One training is that it allows you to get 6 men to improve every week. It's rare that I don't get a pop in one of the skills

Last week's One-on-One training result: (I've been told to hide his full stats...)
Jump Shot: prodigious ↑
Driving: marvelous ↑

I picked up this guy (6'1", Hall-of-Fame potential, 18 years old at draft day) with the 16th pick in my draft, and I've built him up to that level in just 3 seasons. I figure he has 2 more seasons of development before he's peaked, so if that's the case, he'll be wondrous all around with legendary shooting.

I actually find the least effective of all the guard training to be Handling, it really serves no purpose because you can get the pretty much the same pops with One-on-One. Outside shooting, passing and pressure are also less effective because they focus pretty much on a single skill, but they are important, so I try to sandwich them with One-on-One weeks. The other benefit of One-on-One is the fact that you can train a forward or two without throwing games, which is what you'd do if you tried to train a forward to improve his range, outside D or passing.

Last edited by 420Monta at 1/4/2010 10:32:23 PM

This Post:
126355.31 in reply to 126355.30
Date: 1/4/2010 8:15:31 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think you just made my point perfectly. First of all a bit of a disclaimer: your guy is a HFer, so that changes your options a bit. But more importantly your guy is going to end up with twice the salary and less OD than my guy. I don't think I would want a point guard that expansive, but for NT I am sure he would work out just fine. It's about prioritizing for me. And I don't plan on doing much handling training, ether. Just a bit at the end if I feel it's necessary. This is exactly what I meant when I sad that NT players require a different training philosophy than if you are building a player that will best suit your team. NT teams don't have budgets.

This Post:
126355.32 in reply to 126355.31
Date: 1/4/2010 10:40:23 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
And since my goal was to make Bronson the #1 guard in America, that's going to work out just fine for me. I have built up a lot of secondary players and have drafted exceptionally well (SOME of my draftees: Two 6'2" guards with decent skills and potential this year, a 6'1" 18 year old MVP last year, a 6'8" MVP with enough forward skills to train as a guard to create a good SF and Jeffrey Fournier, who is currently on the market with a bid over 1 500 000.) over the years, so I can still afford Bronson's talent on my roster. And when the day comes that he is too expensive for me, I will put him on the market and get 2 star post men in return.

This Post:
126355.33 in reply to 126355.32
Date: 1/5/2010 12:41:18 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Yeah, I saw that guy on the TL. He has only strong OD, though so some one will have to train it :). I am curios just how much time you invested in him. The reason I ask is because I recently sold a much worse G for similar amount and replaced him with a guard comparable to yours, but a year younger for just 100k more. My point is you can play the market to make money. In fact the guy I sold I had bought for half of what he sold for and only gave him minimum training during the time I had him. I think I popped him twice in JS and thats all. But if I am going to invest a significant amount of time and effort to train some one I would get attached to them and want to keep that player for myself.

Advertisement