BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > Would someone like to explain...?

Would someone like to explain...?

Set priority
Show messages by

This Post:
8033.25 in reply to 8033.24
Date: 11/27/2007 5:56:17 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
From your post, I concluded that you think USA is 2 levels above Greece, and I was answering to that... Americans are better individually, but basketball is a team sport... One player means nothing...

For Silver Palominos, I think it's very possible for him to lose many of those games, cause difference is not big at all...

This Post:
8033.26 in reply to 8033.20
Date: 11/27/2007 6:14:27 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Next time the US national high school champion takes down the Pistons, THEN make your snarky comment. Until then, try and stick to relevant issues - thanks.

The gap between your team and your opponent isn't nearly as big as that.

Upsets happen, and it's a fact of life.

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
8033.27 in reply to 8033.22
Date: 11/28/2007 6:46:14 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
What does that show...? European professional basketball is of a MUCH higher calibre than US high school basketball....it's not at all unheard of for the US team to get beaten on an International level.

This Post:
8033.28 in reply to 8033.26
Date: 11/28/2007 6:50:01 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Such is life indeed. I had my vent, I still think it's irregular at the very least, but I'm done with the debate and moving on with my season...

This Post:
8033.29 in reply to 8033.27
Date: 11/28/2007 3:54:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
US High School Basketball = Best young NBA players?

"Well, no ones gonna top that." - http://tinyurl.com/noigttt
This Post:
8033.30 in reply to 8033.27
Date: 11/28/2007 8:41:51 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
What does that show...? European professional basketball is of a MUCH higher calibre than US high school basketball....it's not at all unheard of for the US team to get beaten on an International level.

I don't think you can group all US high school basketball into a single bucket. There are some prep schools and AAU teams that have 2-5 players that will be playing High-Major college ball in 1-2 years and will be in the NBA in 2-3 years.

There are also international players from Europe and elsewhere that struggle to get minutes for college teams in the states.

Your statement may in general be true, but if you look at the high schools/prep schools producing many or the NBA players, you'll find an amazing amount of talent concentrated there.

Steve

This Post:
8033.31 in reply to 8033.30
Date: 11/29/2007 6:09:35 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I don't think you can group all US high school basketball into a single bucket. There are some prep schools and AAU teams that have 2-5 players that will be playing High-Major college ball in 1-2 years and will be in the NBA in 2-3 years.

There are also international players from Europe and elsewhere that struggle to get minutes for college teams in the states.

Your statement may in general be true, but if you look at the high schools/prep schools producing many or the NBA players, you'll find an amazing amount of talent concentrated there.

Agreed. I'm referring to European professional teams, not European individual players on US college teams, nor individual players on a player-by-player basis for comparison...

This Post:
8033.32 in reply to 8033.31
Date: 11/29/2007 1:54:57 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
A few thoughts (all my opinions):

To artyx: Thank you! You were the first one who actually took the time to look at the game in question and explain how it was actually possible to lose this game.

To those citing real life games in the past as proof that upsets are possible: Please, stop. It doesn't help the discussion, especially when you just put up a like to a wikipedia page as a response. All it does it show off your basketball knowledge or ability to use Google, it doesn't make the guy who started his thread feel any better, or learn anything, about his loss.

If you guys want to talk real life basketball, I'm all for it, but it belongs in non-BB forums, not as a witty retort to a guy who's looking for answers.

To Juicepats: Take a step back, please, and think before you type I was surprised when reading through this thread at your responses and how extremely un-helpful they were. When you say things that are essentially "upsets happen, deal with it" to a guy who's looking for help, it doesn't make you look very good, and it doesn't help anyone.

This kind of attitude is not the same platform you used when you were running for USA NT coach - you promised to help foster training and the game itself, and I'd hate to think that those were false promises. I know you don't get paid to do this or anything, but you're still a GM, and you are the face of BB authority to many people, so dismissive responses to questions is probably not the best bet if you want BB to grow and prosper.

This Post:
8033.33 in reply to 8033.32
Date: 11/29/2007 2:36:29 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
To Juicepats: Take a step back, please, and think before you type I was surprised when reading through this thread at your responses and how extremely un-helpful they were. When you say things that are essentially "upsets happen, deal with it" to a guy who's looking for help, it doesn't make you look very good, and it doesn't help anyone.

This kind of attitude is not the same platform you used when you were running for USA NT coach - you promised to help foster training and the game itself, and I'd hate to think that those were false promises. I know you don't get paid to do this or anything, but you're still a GM, and you are the face of BB authority to many people, so dismissive responses to questions is probably not the best bet if you want BB to grow and prosper.

The two points I was trying to make is that:

A. It's not impossible for a team to lose any game, real life or BB. The original poster seemed to intimate it is.

B. Any comparison to the Pistons vs a high school team (a favorite of the OP) is fatally flawed.

Was I a bit heavy-handed in my responses? Probably, and I shouldn't have. I get irritated, however, when someone basically says that loss = game sucks. That doesn't seem to be looking for help to me.

A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
This Post:
8033.34 in reply to 8033.33
Date: 11/29/2007 2:50:55 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
A. It's not impossible for a team to lose any game, real life or BB. The original poster seemed to intimate it is.

Actually, I don't think he did. His initial post was asking for someone to explain to him how he lost. A direct quote of his second post:

I'm not complaining about losing to a worse team - that's realism.

I'm complaining about dominating the game on every level and STILL losing, even though the bot team is two levels below me, has a terrible team, and was outplayed in every facet.

He was absolutely looking for help, and he never said that "loss = game sucks". When he asked why he lost and your response was simply "random factor," it's a pretty logical jump for him to think the only reason he lost was because of intentional randomness in the game, which is obviously frustrating.

This Post:
8033.35 in reply to 8033.34
Date: 11/29/2007 3:00:52 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Actually, I don't think he did. His initial post was asking for someone to explain to him how he lost. A direct quote of his second post:

Then why say:

This is like the Celtics losing a tight game to a high school team,even though in the GAME they played like the Celtics and the highschool team played like a high school team.

This isn't a 'random factor', this is ridiculous.

The attitude certainly seems to indicate that the OP felt that he should never lose a game like this.

He was absolutely looking for help, and he never said that "loss = game sucks".

That's what he seems to be saying here:

This game needs a LOT of growing up to do before it comes close to being realistic...

That's little more than a potshot based on flawed logic.

A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
Advertisement