Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
134219.27 in reply to 134219.26
Date: 3/10/2010 9:32:26 PM
New York Chunks
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
if you're playing in a relegation series, you need to play your top guys in order to stay in the division, which would be no guarantee...if you finish 5th and get 3 scrimmages for training, you can rest your stars/veterans and play your trainees, backups and scrubs...you won't need to care about winning

Excellent point, though I don't see how a team would get 3 scrimmages in a week. The last game of the season is on a Saturday, and there's a scrimmage on the following Thursday, so an extra scrimmage would only make it two. And anyway, don't we have this same situation already to a greater degree during the regular season? Some teams are alive in the Cup tournament and taking in a modest income (typically less than for a relegation playoff) while teams that are eliminated get to scrimmage, getting no cash but also playing scrubs for training without worry of winning. The proposed scrimmage for 5th place teams would be in lieu of greater payout of a relegation playoff (compared to a Cup). I wouldn't propose a scrimmage for the Tuesday in the following week, only for just that first Tuesday when the first relegation playoff games are played, and that's the only addition.

Don't ask what sort of Chunks they are, you probably don't want to know. Blowing Chunks since Season 4!
This Post:
134219.29 in reply to 134219.28
Date: 3/10/2010 9:55:38 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
That is assuming the relegation series goes to 3 games.

The series started last tuesday (game 1). If you close out the series on game 2 (sat), you will NOT have a game on next tues (game 3) before a scrimmage on thurs. Thus next training week is also a 2 game week

If you go to game 3, you will have a game on next tues and then a scrimmage on thurs as well making it a 3 game training week

So depending on that, you may get 1-2 weeks of more training minutes for playing relegation series

Last edited by Monkeybiz at 3/10/2010 9:56:38 PM

This Post:
134219.31 in reply to 134219.30
Date: 3/11/2010 12:39:41 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Fair enough if you are planning to tank to go to the relegation series just for the extra income/training minutes.

But there is 2 decisions that need to be made here.

1. Do you want to tank to get to 6th for relegation series rather than try to finish 5th or possibly higher (You get less income incoming 4th than you do 6th but something is better than nothing). You must also consider who finishes 7th on the other conference and whether you actually feel comfortable trying to beat them in a series.

2.If you do decide to tank, do you want a 2 game series or a 3 game series? If you finished 6th, that is an additional game of income for a 3 game series (well 2/3rds of it anyway) but there is also risk you might lose instead. It really depends on your situation. If you are confident you can knock out 7th with out a sweat then I would go for 3 games but if the 2 teams are similar in strength, I would try wrap it up in 2 and wouldn't want to tank a game and risk the chance that I actually would lose a game I play my starters at.

This Post:
134219.32 in reply to 134219.31
Date: 3/11/2010 4:23:33 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
The entire fact that anyone considers 'TANKING' games is the problem. In a game that prides itself on being ultra realistic, this is a huge flaw. For me this season finishing fifth was fantastic, I avoid relegation and am fine with only training 4 players for two weeks. But when I look thru the leagues and see that these 'Thrown' games have cost teams more than a training and cash it really bothers me.

'Throwing' games is not realistic. Is it a statagie or a tactic...I am not sure. But it is really unrealistic and takes away from the drama at seasons end.

To fix it is the tough thing. I would be in favor of the fifth place teams playing a head to head playoff. Why should they not have income, they did well. In real sports teams revenue and income are elevated because of good play, not because they finish in a certain spot. I would like to see fan suport be a bigger factor in these things. If you lose a game that your fans can obviously see you threw, there support should and would be crushed. Go ahead and throw a game, but expect you income in the following weeks to be disasterous.

Do the right thing and make BB like real sports where throwing games is only for the mob.

Last edited by Mod-beanerz at 3/11/2010 4:26:06 PM

This Post:
134219.33 in reply to 134219.32
Date: 3/11/2010 4:33:07 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
my favorite solution, is stop paying salary, in weeks where you don't play. With this at least i won't play relegation anymore,, even when it gives extra training but the bottom leagues are still a problem with this concept.

This Post:
134219.34 in reply to 134219.33
Date: 3/11/2010 4:36:53 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
That would work.

The real thing that bugs me is the current set up clearly takes away from the integrity of the game. I am a huge fan of the game, but struggle with this.

This Post:
134219.35 in reply to 134219.34
Date: 3/11/2010 5:24:01 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I whole heartedly agree with you. I have been guilty of tanking myself and I can see the reasoning why people would do it. But it really isn't in the interest of the games to have people doing so. There needs to be more benefits to finishing 5th as opposed to 6th. Not getting relegated is not enough reason as you can safely finish 6th and not get relegated either if your team is way better than 7th in the other division.

This Post:
134219.36 in reply to 134219.21
Date: 3/11/2010 7:38:27 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
i am another fifth place finisher.

i would suggest looking at the scrimmage on a continuum. finishing one - through - fourth gets gate revenue and a chance at advancing; regardless, meaningful training continues.

finishing sixth and seventh means gate revenue and meaningful training, but at a cost of possible relegation.

i would think finishing fifth would have to suffer with no gate revenue, but gain / earn one more week of meaningful training -- that is a nice combination of reward (training) and punishment (loss of revenue).

i think eighth is treated fairly -- high draft pick, but a guaranteed ticket to the bush leagues; loss of revenue, and loss of training.

just for laughs, i offered earlier the idea that fifth place teams would swap conferences with each other each season. just for laughs.

Advertisement