BB Global (English) > Discussion of the BB answers

Discussion of the BB answers

Set priority
Show messages by

This Post:
211108.26 in reply to 211108.24
Date: 2/21/2012 11:28:31 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
That my point the game is still interesting dont need much time commitment there is the related competivnes with the sports originaly and that fan base.Youve need atleast 2-3 season or more to see the gliches or bugs or something that will push you away over a year customer wow .If im the owner i say let him leave he served well for the time.BB have great page rank in Google Even if there left 1k users ill have many options to make profit
A Sell site domain etc atleast with that stream will be 200-500k maybe more
B Head to the facebook market.for sake some supid farm making 50mil users i can put a potatto in facebook and make people poke it to death and make money.

Message deleted
Message deleted
Message deleted
This Post:
211108.31 in reply to 211108.26
Date: 2/21/2012 12:36:38 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Heh, I seem to recall Charles often maintaining that jump range and shot blocking were useful and valuable skills, but nobody believed him then. Doesn't surprise me that nobody believes Marin now. But at least it was a clear restatement of the fact that JR and SB are having in game effects that aren't completely reflected in the box score. Now, owners are free to disbelieve that information if they choose to.

Overall, I found Marin's answers not particularly surprising, but I do very much appreciate that he took the time to answer them all. And it gives me a sense of the general priorities, which is helpful for planning. They're gonna work on making the site run smoother and addressing bugs before adding new features (or advertising). They're gonna work on keeping the overall economy stable, as judged by first introducing free agents and then altering the salary qualifications for them, or by not changing salary floors, adding caps or taxes, etc.

Sure, some of it has the sound of a "trust us" answer, such as the value of JR and SB, or that 4th place actually is better than 5th in the long run. And if you don't trust them, ok, I can see why any particular user could get to that point. But can someone point me to something where the BBs repeatedly said one thing, and then ended up having to go back on that answer? I'm not talking about site fixes, like the training issue. But rather on a game design issue. Clearly there have been changes in the game design, as there was an engine overhaul, and as I understand it, passing became more useful. But in that case, did the BBs long maintain that passing was working as designed? I wasn't around then, and haven't been around terribly long, so I could be unaware if something like this did happen.

This Post:
211108.33 in reply to 211108.32
Date: 2/21/2012 2:28:20 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Fair enough, a cynical answer, but that's how you feel.

But on the actual question, in the past was there a point where they maintained that something was working as designed, and then went back on that?

Cause in your example, Marin's words are the same as what Charles said some time ago, at a time when GE might have been possible. Plus, Charles at least trained his own players up in JR and SB. Presumably he wouldn't have done that had he known there were irreparable game engine issues.

But his training program did prove one thing: JR and SB alone can't help an unmanaged team. :)

And in the case of 5th place better than 4th, that's not a game engine question, and I don't see any particular reason that the current active developers would be unable to address it, if the BBs came to the conclusion that something wasn't working correctly.

This Post:
211108.36 in reply to 211108.34
Date: 2/21/2012 4:05:21 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Frankly, Casale's career 3FG % is pretty darn good. He's had a couple seasons less in the 30% range, where his GS appeared to be horribly mismanaged, but he's also had many seasons with 3FG% >40%. Now, is he worth the 270K salary? That's a question for each manager to answer. But just because a 20+JS/18JR guy is expensive doesn't say anything that JR is not useful at other skill levels.

As for Homanyouni, it's hard to say how well his 18 SB really affected things, since there's nothing in each game stat line that does a great job of reflecting his defensive contribution. And it's possible that SB might have a different contribution in different defensive tactics.

Yeah, so their transfer histories show they have been sold a lot by their teams. But we already know that most BB users don't value JR and SB. So that doesn't really add anything.

I do agree that there is a rational reason for why most managers don't value JR and SB: because the game stats for each match don't really point to either skill being obviously important. The 3FG% and the blocks per 48 min that we can see don't appear worth it compared to the cost of each skill. I get that. So I'm not saying that people are being dumb for undervaluing these skills.

It just seems to me that when the developers of the game reiterate that these are important/useful, and that they are having effects that are not reported by the box score, then it might be worthwhile to pay attention, and experiment with other builds. You don't have to make that choice of course.

Advertisement