Help - English > Stats for players

Stats for players

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
99846.26 in reply to 99846.24
Date: 7/5/2009 7:20:45 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
A player must decide whether the opportunity presented is good enough to take a shot… this of course changes as a function of amongst other things… the shot clock, the players experience, the score of the game, the history of the quality of shots the team has seen recently, the offense the team is running, and whether that rookie shooting guard of yours thinks he knows better than the coach does

I have always wondered about that last part... Is there a hidden trait that players have that influences how much they shoot?

I don't think so. It is typically accepted that this depends on experience.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
99846.27 in reply to 99846.26
Date: 7/5/2009 9:27:11 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

I know that it is "typically" accepted. I'm just wondering if that line in the rules about the rookie shooting guard means something or was just put there because the BBs were having fun. You'll notice that experience was already mentioned earlier in the paragraph...

Run of the Mill Canadian Manager
This Post:
99846.28 in reply to 99846.27
Date: 7/5/2009 9:40:22 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I know. My read on the situation is "rookie shooting guard" = player with no experience. Of course, we can argue quite a bit over this, and there is no easy way to verify it, unfortunately.

The BBs tended to be having lots of fun with the rules (note the funny quotes in each chapter), so I wouldn't put anything beyond them.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
99846.29 in reply to 99846.26
Date: 7/6/2009 4:35:10 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
A player must decide whether the opportunity presented is good enough to take a shot… this of course changes as a function of amongst other things… the shot clock, the players experience, the score of the game, the history of the quality of shots the team has seen recently, the offense the team is running, and whether that rookie shooting guard of yours thinks he knows better than the coach does

I have always wondered about that last part... Is there a hidden trait that players have that influences how much they shoot?

/BBWeb/rules.aspx?nav=GameEngine

in the beginning it should stand into this rule chapter that shot selection depends on XP

This Post:
99846.30 in reply to 99846.28
Date: 7/6/2009 8:19:13 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
we can argue quite a bit over this, and there is no easy way to verify it, unfortunately.

Agreed. Also, even if there is a hidden attribute to shot selection, more experience seems to trump it, anyways.

Run of the Mill Canadian Manager
This Post:
99846.31 in reply to 99846.30
Date: 7/6/2009 8:25:59 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I am not quite sure what to make of experience. I have anecdotal evidence from 1 guy with superior experience I have -- he doesn't seem to shoot (much) better than other comparative players on my roster, but he does make a few more assists than I'd expect. Go figure.