BB USA > LSU college football

LSU college football

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
203956.27 in reply to 203956.25
Date: 12/8/2011 12:14:00 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm fine with including them, but did not think they were mentioned earlier because of this reason.

It's funny you mention Jason White. I just happened to go to high school with that guy. lol I was a sophomore when he was a senior. Jason White didn't make it in the pros because of his knees, Dorsey didn't make it because of his lack of talent. White ran a 4.5 when entering OU. Rushed for 100 yards against Texas when he was subbed in for the first time in 2001. Crazy stuff, but injuries killed him. Arm strength was there, but the guy had about 10 surgeries on knee, hand, foot, etc... in college.

Another interesting note is that Miami signed Dorsey after White passed up an offer from Miami. Worked out well for both I would say. Another side note to that is that White had his offer taken back from Tennessee when they got a verbal from Chris Simms...then Simms switched to Texas and Tennessee was left hanging.

This Post:
203956.28 in reply to 203956.26
Date: 12/8/2011 10:43:02 AM
Rochester Grizzly Adams
IV.33
Overall Posts Rated:
That dude was a beast in college.

This Post:
203956.29 in reply to 203956.28
Date: 12/8/2011 12:13:24 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Not really. He wasn't anything special in college. He did earn all-conference honors for one season (of course the SEC is not QB heavy) and was honorable mention on the all-american squad. The funny thing was that he didn't even have the starting job wrapped up until right before the season. Matt Flynn and Ryan Perioloux were all involved in a battle for the spot even though Russel was the incumbent.

To: red
This Post:
203956.32 in reply to 203956.31
Date: 12/9/2011 11:43:52 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Your an OSU fan so I dont think you will concede anything, but here's a shot. First off, lucky was too strong of a word. Agreed. However, that OSU defense wasn't even a top 5 of the BCS era. Heck, Miami's offense wasn't as great as you make it out to be that season either. I don't think 2009 Florida was the top defense of the BCS era, but they only allowed 14 points to the OU team that broke every college football record for offense that season, including points scored per game. Heck OU's defense in 2000 was better than OSU's....they shut out an FSU offense that was as good as 2002 Miami's. Bama has had 2-3 defenses better than OSU's that season and so has LSU. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying OSU was not a great team that season, they were an underdog for a reason though. They did win with defense, but that doesn't make it the best in the BCS era.

Also, by "shut-down" Willis McGahee, don't you mean injure him? haha, I know it was in the 4th, but he was on pace for almost 100 yards rushing with 67 yards and 1TD. Not exactly shutting down, but he didn't go crazy. The buckeyes had 2 big time defenders in Smith and Gamble, but overall you can't say it was one of the best defenses of the entire BCS era IMO, although they were very good. Hey I actually rooted for OSU that game....hated those Miami teams, but I think they were one of the weakest BCS title winners. All that matters though is that they won...and no it wasn't by luck. I misspoke.

As for LSU being overrated....maybe. However, their offense just as good if not better than the previous 2 national championship teams from LSU. Heck, the last one had 2 losses! I agree that college football as a whole is down, but that doesn't mean LSU isn't a great football team. Are they the best? Not at all, but they compare favorable to a lot of the great teams of the last 20 years. Top 5? Probably not. Better than Bama? Well they beat them on the road and they SHOULDN'T have to prove it again. They should get to play Okie State and prove they are better than the big 12 CHAMP. The media bias doesn't like the big 12, but the computers listed it as the toughest conference...and Ok state had to play every single team in it. Bama didn't even play South Carolina or Georgia. But that's another argument...

This Post:
203956.34 in reply to 203956.33
Date: 12/9/2011 4:31:01 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
It's awful? They have scored a ton on every team they played outside of Alabama....and Alabama could have the best defense of the BCS era, imo. So I would say that it is pretty darn good.

You can mention 12 in the two deep, but only two starters stick out and that's will smith and chris gamble. Gamble is a solid pro and Smith is a great DE. FSU's offense was DANG good...and they had a heisman trophy winning QB because of it.

As for tough to compare, sure I agree with that. It also helps having a month to prepare. That's why most NC games aren't shootouts. However, how can you call 2008 LSU the best LSU team in the last 15 years? They lost 2 games! '03 lost 1. This season they haven't lost at all.

This Post:
203956.36 in reply to 203956.35
Date: 12/9/2011 8:52:34 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Hold up....Flynn was better than all the other QB's at LSU in the last however many years???? A guy that could only win the starting job for 1 season and didn't play all that much before then???? Come on man! Flynn was average, period. Russel was better than Flynn and Russel wasn't a great college player either. He was all SEC his junior year, but again, the SEC is not a QB conference most years.

Here is his Senior season stat line: 202/359 56.3$% 2407 yards 21td 11int

I am pretty sure I could find other LSU QB's with ease (including average Jamarcus) to beat that stat line. Jordan Jefferson this season won't beat that stat line, but he has been far more impressive than Flynn. Just look what he did against Arkansas and Georgia the last couple games of the year. His running ability gives that offense a far better dimension.

That squad actually lost to Kentucky (18th) and unranked Arkansas and gave up more points than this year's LSU team that had a tougher schedule and many stories and stats have been written of how this season's run by LSU is the most impressive in not just the BCS era, but in the entire modern era of college football. They have beat 3 teams ranked in the top 3 in the BCS and 8 ranked teams overall. The big east champ and the pac 12 champ...and did it more impressively than the 2008 squad WITHOUT the 2 losses. If they beat Bama again then they will have beaten the number 2 team twice and the number 3 team twice. Nobody in history has had this schedule...NOBODY.

Just for the record, i love a good debate...especially if the other person is not an idiot, which is hard to find. That's why I don't mind going back and forth right now.

Also, I HATE the SEC....LOATHE it. I am a Big 10 and Big 12 fan and I live in SEC country. I too, hate the media bias and agree with the computers that the Big 12 was the strongest conference top to bottom. I can't ignore the non-conference and conference schedule that LSU ran through this season though. Just think if you add South Carolina and Georgia in the regular season of the SEC...crazy.

PS, the 2003 LSU defense was better than the 2008 defense. OSU scored 24 in 2008 with a lesser offense than OU, who only could muster 14 in '03.

Advertisement