BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > The official "Ask a BB Day Thread"

The official "Ask a BB Day Thread" (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by

To: _Az_
This Post:
267318.27 in reply to 267318.20
Date: 1/28/2015 2:06:15 PM
TrenseRI
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
ChiLeaders
When I was searching a top french player, I was competing against team which had a balance of +10, +20 and +50M in their transfert list. Once they recruit a top player at a decent price, they put him in the trade market again until they find someone ready to pay +20-50% of the price they brought it.

So I'm curious to know what your think about it. Will you take care of this or you consider it's acceptable ?
What is actually wrong here? Any team has the right to buy and sell players. Is it OK if they profit? Yes, if it's not daytrading. Especially if they receive additional training. Maybe I missed your point here, please explain if I did.

Is there plan to add an official position to NT staff ? And give them some "power" too. At least an assistant or someone of sort.
No, sorry.

1. - it's quite frustrating, when your team operates in a country with a large user base, to have to be at the very top in order to do any meaningful international games. Have you, or would you consider a lower level type of BBB league ? Say one for D2, one for D3, etc ?
2. - how did you settle on the game engine of BB come about ? Was it more from enjoying basketball and did you have originally a style of play you wanted to promote, or is it all based on finding programing solutions that would make the end result balanced ?
3. - last thing, did anything player do surprise you and can you give examples ?
4. - well, maybe something else: dolphin on my iOS phone has never let me access live games. Could you have a tech page set up to explain how that would work ?
1. No, we haven't considered it.
2. I'm not sure I understand the question, but I'll try and give an answer. I guess the programming solutions are based on some statistical numbers we are trying to achieve (in order to make a better copy of the real life basketball game), but sometimes we just want to do something fun and exciting and do that. There's no rule.
3. Yes, and no. It would take too much time
4. We found that it works nicely on Android so I figured that it must work on iOS too. I remember, though, some users reporting other browsers with flash support working on iOS, but I cannot recall which exactly. Maybe someone will chime in and help us. Once they do, I'll add that to the list of them on the bugs page. I have opened a thread there (267338.1) where we can then discuss the good and bad experiences on these OS-es and devices.

Message deleted
This Post:
267318.29 in reply to 267318.23
Date: 1/28/2015 2:10:54 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
@Elmacca: I have the same question as you and we both created a thread about it in the past. I would also like to hear what BB-Marin about this issue.

Another one: this season you implemented the BLU prevention code, which was the best way to create a good rotation between your players during a game, and I think it was one of the things that were really cool when you were watching the live game and the coach was doing a lot of substitutions as you can see in real life basketball game, instead of only switch the inicial 5 for the backup 5. The question is: are there any plans to implement a new sub system that would allow a better rotation of the team in important games??

Ps: I deleted my last message because I addressed it to Elmacca instead of BB-Marin.

This Post:
267318.30 in reply to 267318.29
Date: 1/28/2015 2:20:51 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for the answes, Marin.

This Post:
267318.31 in reply to 267318.22
Date: 1/28/2015 2:21:23 PM
TrenseRI
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
ChiLeaders
Are these open threes long threes? Are they contested but just not reported as such?

No, my team is generating all kinds of assisted threes, and long three pointers are rare.. So, play-by-play isn't always strictly reporting if the shot was open or not? If so, then I guess I can throw my analysis out.. Ok then, nice to know, that at least little steps are made in GE to balance the game..

There is a difference between contested and uncontested threes so your analysis is not bad, but even on the uncontested ones there's some effect of the opponents defense.

1. Would you ever add another NT age group, like U24 or U25?
If so, any plans for when?
If not, what are the main reasons why not?

2.How far away from the basket does the GE look up JS rather than IS? Does it ever look up both? When?

3.Tell us something we don't know about help defence calculations (please). Is SB the only skill checked?
1. No, we do not think it would benefit the game and could actually make the whole NT scene a bit too spread out.

2. I cannot/don't want to disclose that.

3. Again, the same answer, but I'll give you a hint: SB is very, very important here.

When will we have all the substitution patterns working well? Huge effort to destroy blank lineup, but we don't see any to fix the broken ones.
I guess I had to fix the one to get proficient enough to tackle the other. Let me know (in the bugs forum) which are most flawed and I'll see what I can do.

This Post:
267318.32 in reply to 267318.29
Date: 1/28/2015 2:31:17 PM
TrenseRI
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
ChiLeaders
Another one: this season you implemented the BLU prevention code, which was the best way to create a good rotation between your players during a game, and I think it was one of the things that were really cool when you were watching the live game and the coach was doing a lot of substitutions as you can see in real life basketball game, instead of only switch the inicial 5 for the backup 5. The question is: are there any plans to implement a new sub system that would allow a better rotation of the team in important games??
Some say it's the best way to create a good rotation, other see it as a blatant exploit of a loophole. You say the constant substitutions are cool, others see it as a very unrealistic bug in the GE (since no real life team does so many in a match). You can probably guess in which of these standpoints I personally believe.

A new, better rotation system would seriously tip the scales off balance for a lot of other things related, weekly minutes and training being the first things that come to mind. Even if we decide to do something in that direction, we must be very careful not to make a series of other issues with it.

This Post:
267318.33 in reply to 267318.32
Date: 1/28/2015 2:49:37 PM
No Good News
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Backyard Brawlers
There is a difference between contested and uncontested threes so your analysis is not bad, but even on the uncontested ones there's some effect of the opponents defense.

Ok, thanks for raising my enthusiasm again.. So that effect is team defense rating.. Which should be conquered with team flow rating, i guess..
About shot blocking.. When you explain the GE, you say that the player is analyzing if the shot is good or not, and then decides to shoot or pass.. Does he take into consideration the opponents shot blocking? I mean, does, let's say, player prefers to shoot the jumper instead of drive or other inside shot, if he knows that the center has high shot blocking skill?

This Post:
267318.34 in reply to 267318.33
Date: 1/28/2015 3:19:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for your earlier answers, my utopia team has reminded me it wanted a question asked. Is 1 on 1 training for wingmen 90% of 1 on 1 for guards or 90% of 1 on 1 for forwards???

This Post:
267318.36 in reply to 267318.33
Date: 1/28/2015 4:31:15 PM
TrenseRI
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
ChiLeaders
About shot blocking.. When you explain the GE, you say that the player is analyzing if the shot is good or not, and then decides to shoot or pass.. Does he take into consideration the opponents shot blocking? I mean, does, let's say, player prefers to shoot the jumper instead of drive or other inside shot, if he knows that the center has high shot blocking skill?
Sorry, but that's way too specific for me to answer.

This Post:
267318.37 in reply to 267318.1
Date: 1/28/2015 4:46:26 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Bless you for doing this thread every Wednesday. It gives managers a great way to discuss the game in a constructive way. It also gives your assistants the opportunity to close down the threads that are mainly whining and direct the people to this thread, where they will be expected to be constructive. Well done!

One little question: Some of your BB's are really doing good work in the forums; are there any thoughts about allowing us to indicate approval of a BB's post only more than once a day with those little basketball symbols? Thanks.

Advertisement