BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > Season 37: New salaries and more competitiveness!

Season 37: New salaries and more competitiveness!

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
283856.29 in reply to 283856.25
Date: 12/11/2016 8:41:54 AM
Durham Wasps
EBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Sunderland Boilermakers
There's another issue that occurs to me with the new method of promoting.

Imagine I'm the regular season winner. I'm already guaranteed to promote. I don't need to win the final. Now imagine my opponent isn't the second best team in the regular season. I can now decide who gets to promote. If I win the final, the second best team in the regular season promotes. If I lose the final the winner of the final promotes and so do I.

What if one of those is my friend and one isn't? I can be spiteful and make sure the person I don't like stays in D2. That's just awful. It goes against the spirit of gaming and the spirit of proper competition.

This Post:
283856.30 in reply to 283856.29
Date: 12/11/2016 8:44:28 AM
Durham Wasps
EBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Sunderland Boilermakers
On the economy, it occurs to me that perhaps the BBs want inflation. We're not likely to hear from them either way but I know they were happy with Utopia, despite what the sudden influx of money did then. And what they're doing now will dwarf that.

I can see an iceberg and the powers that be think all they can see is an ice cube in their whisky.

This Post:
283856.32 in reply to 283856.31
Date: 12/11/2016 9:26:55 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Personally, the new promotion system is nonsense.
6 out of 16 teams will be relegated and that's too much. You got to have some stability in a league to create some rivalry/competition and therefore to attract all the coaches' interest/attention.
I'd prefer to increase the number of teams in a league, if that rule is gonna be applied.

This Post:
283856.33 in reply to 283856.21
Date: 12/11/2016 9:35:12 AM
Palestra Itália
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
S.E. Palmeiras
BB´s, please, stop overthinking!

The promotion will kill the rest of the game!

This Post:
283856.34 in reply to 283856.31
Date: 12/11/2016 9:38:25 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Except that your fan will absolutely prefer you to win the title. If you are willing to not win as much money as you could next season, I guess you can influnce the results in PO. However, you can already do that nowadays. Teams will CT last game of the season and change the rankings, will CT or not during PO, changing the chances of the other teams. It is and will be always better to win a league than not for following season (and who is against adding a title on their shelf ?).
That is true Perpete, but it doesn't change the fact that what Gully says is also true and this way you have created a way to influence promotions not just the standings. Utopia might be fine because there are users from all different nations and you also swap teams across leagues, but in national leagues one way or another people do come across each other.

So can we have mixed playoffs (a system the NBA is currently debating implementing given the perceived weakness of the eastern conference over the last 20 years) and reward the teams who win in the playoffs rather than the ones who win the most games or have the best PD. We all know that the ranking and PD heavily depend on conference competition and most teams who are perceived to be better actually routinely face subpar lineups or scrub lineups as the opponent save their best players for perceived more winnable games.

Reward with promotion based on merit and levelling the playing field between conferences, please. (I think this would be a good idea in Utopia as well to prevent 3 teams promoting from the same league)

Last edited by Lemonshine at 12/11/2016 9:59:05 AM

This Post:
283856.35 in reply to 283856.31
Date: 12/11/2016 9:47:05 AM
Durham Wasps
EBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Sunderland Boilermakers
Well, at least you reply to one concern, even if it is the more minor.

Except that your fan will absolutely prefer you to win the title. If you are willing to not win as much money as you could next season, I guess you can influnce the results in PO. However, you can already do that nowadays. Teams will CT last game of the season and change the rankings, will CT or not during PO, changing the chances of the other teams.

These are all natural ways to influence the league, and not against the spirit of competition. I'm disappointed you don't see the difference or have rushed to come up with a dismissal of a perfectly valid argument with a weak answer that's not the same situation at all.

This Post:
283856.38 in reply to 283856.17
Date: 12/11/2016 11:07:20 AM
Syndicalists' BC
Naismith
Overall Posts Rated:

And really not a fan of the promotion rules, or the boycott. The way I build a team is to build from the ground up, compete for a couple seasons, sell off and 'trust the process'. I liked the ability to compete for a few seasons, then focus on training for a few seasons. Now it seems like you have to be perpetually competing, and have made it really difficult to build up assets. I think that will just hinder younger teams, and discourage folks for risking it to go for it all because building back up will take so long.

But thats just totally unrealistic.

See, you and I assume BB see that as unrealistic, but I see that as fundamental to basketball management and obviously it takes a slightly different form in a game. You have extremes like the 76ers that have employed the strategy of rebuilding, but most teams will want to rebuild through draft picks/picking up youth. If you look at Celtics who did it pre-big 3, Cavs picking up several top picks then making a run when they could pick up Lebron, Timberwolves now are investing in their youth. The way the new system is being brought through, it'll heavily encourage the selling of some of the youth in order to continue trying to be top 4 in your conference; not letting you actually get the resources needed to make a big push. And if you look at my team history, you'll notice it isn't full tanking (because it has never made sense regardless), but trying to maintain as low a salary as possible and continue competing.

This Post:
283856.39 in reply to 283856.29
Date: 12/11/2016 11:15:50 AM
Totwart
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Furabolos
There's another issue that occurs to me with the new method of promoting.

Imagine I'm the regular season winner. I'm already guaranteed to promote. I don't need to win the final. Now imagine my opponent isn't the second best team in the regular season. I can now decide who gets to promote. If I win the final, the second best team in the regular season promotes. If I lose the final the winner of the final promotes and so do I.

What if one of those is my friend and one isn't? I can be spiteful and make sure the person I don't like stays in D2. That's just awful. It goes against the spirit of gaming and the spirit of proper competition.

This has happened in BB from the beginning. Every time there is a bot in an upper division, some teams knew that they had a sure promotion.
About the friend issue, it's already happening. Not that it will change a lot.

Advertisement