Suggestions > Optional Alternative Name Based On Your Nationality

Optional Alternative Name Based On Your Nationality

Set priority
Show messages by

This Post:
177416.3 in reply to 177416.2
Date: 3/21/2011 9:14:31 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Not the names would require alot of work because they are already generated. The thing they should do is for example if 6.5 is the average number of letters used in American last names, where in Greek last name would have 10 letters, you take into account the averages. So for example, if a last name Parpakanakos which has 12 letters is 70th percentile in number of letters used in greek last names, then in America say a 70th percentile last name has 8 letters, the last name would randomly draw an American last name that stars with P and is 8 letter long like Peterson. It really should be a thorough data analyzer of names which draws averages and percentiles from each country and compares to other countries data to draw out the last name based on equavelancy.

Another thing they can do if not completely compare by names, say there are 8000 different last names in USA and 6000 different once in Greek. A name that is 1500th in the alphabetic order would be 25th percentile on the Greek list of last name. So the name that would come out would be the 2000th name found in the USA last names. So it's possible still that the 1500th last name in Greek can be found is Galafanakis but in the states is a letter starts with F like Franklin.

I'm just trying to point out that this isn't a go one by one with last names and display what would be their American name that would take forever of course. It's simply data gathering and comparison and then a last name is generated.

Last edited by Coach_Gil at 3/21/2011 9:21:55 AM

This Post:
177416.4 in reply to 177416.3
Date: 3/21/2011 9:18:11 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
and overall, you don't switch names when you change your country. nowitzky is still called Nowitzky in the USA, even when Nowitzky is neither a german name not an american.

I believe such things happen mostly, when you switch to country with an different alphabet like nippon and even there you stay mostly with your old name(not in nippon, but with the alphabet change). The most reason for a name change are when the player get married, maybe Nowitzky will be called smith when he marries but i expect him to keep his name because it is also a brand.

This Post:
177416.5 in reply to 177416.4
Date: 3/21/2011 9:24:23 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I thought about how players still come from foreign nation so I thought give the option if you want each player to be designated with your desired national name or not. So if you an American team that likes all Americans except for 2 or 3 foreigners then designate all your players with American names and those 2 or 3 leave them the way they are.

Overall this is simply an option that people can have if they have supporter. I know some people that are attatch to their country very much would like to have more names from their nation as opposed to bunch of unfamiliar foreign names. I'm personally half Israeli and was born in Israel so while in the States I like to have mostly American names, I know I'd like to have alot of Israeli names if I had a team in Israel.

Last edited by Coach_Gil at 3/21/2011 9:34:33 AM

This Post:
177416.6 in reply to 177416.5
Date: 3/21/2011 9:33:57 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
then i would buy american, besides two three foreign players ;) Instead of remaining foreigner that they look like "americans".

personally if my chief come to me with the suggestion, change your name to John Doe or leave i would leave ;)

This Post:
177416.7 in reply to 177416.1
Date: 3/21/2011 9:38:47 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
But I think people wish to see more names around that are from their nation.

If that is the case, isn't the most obvious solution to buy players from your own nation - or better yet, keep and train your own draftees? Or if that is too difficult and you have trouble remembering the names of foreign players, give them jersey numbers and call the players by them. You can even give them local names or nick names in their player comment section. All of these are Supporter features, just like your suggested feature.

This Post:
177416.8 in reply to 177416.7
Date: 3/21/2011 10:29:35 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
The player comment section is one hardly anyone notices so it doesn't really changes anything. Jersey numbers doesn't have anything to do with player name so its irrelevant. The whole thing isn't about remembering but the joy comfort of someone of your country. I'd say buy players from you own nation, if it was like in real life where it makes sense. But in here, even the biggest countries only have 2% of those players found in the transfer market, so if you are about having your own national guys then you are at ginormous setback when it comes to the transfer market.

This Post:
177416.9 in reply to 177416.8
Date: 3/21/2011 11:17:08 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
but also in this case, a rename it like you want suggestion would make more sense, and those names should be only shown for you.

If you Sczerbiak into Smithsons just because it starts with S and have the same amount of letters, won't make much sense for me. And looking for 50 alternative names for every name in the name database, by hand would be more then just complicated for little extra value if you really can not remind an gianfresci as a german(i would say such names stick better into mind then a Müller)

This Post:
177416.10 in reply to 177416.8
Date: 3/21/2011 12:02:47 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
The player comment section is one hardly anyone notices so it doesn't really changes anything.

In your original post you say:
I´m not suggesting that the names will be changed or that managers can change their names. The original name would always be visible and remained, but a secondary name would be available that sounds like someone from your country.

This basic concept of the suggestion is basically covered by entering alternative names to the player comment section, although in this case they would not be generated by the computer. I'm having some difficulty understanding what you are trying to accomplish by having a set of alternative names. It is clearly not enough for yourself to have them, since you feel the player comments are not noticed well enough by the users; it is not about remembering or ordering the individuals on your team. So, what is it?

Last edited by GM-WallyOop at 3/21/2011 12:04:01 PM

This Post:
177416.11 in reply to 177416.10
Date: 3/21/2011 4:13:44 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
It's about the fun of the game, making it feel more cool for me that I can look at my team as like an NBA team. I wouldn't suggest this if it was just for the states but people I assume for example in Poland would love to see bunch of Polskas in their squad without making it difficult to acquire in te transfer market. It's just an option that really can elicit to real life comparison as opposed to random names of bunch of foreign mix salad.

This Post:
177416.12 in reply to 177416.11
Date: 3/21/2011 4:44:10 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
so but what if when you like to check what your player did, after you have sold him.

You know him as sampsons, who is now called Schneider and didn't learn his real name Sczerbiak.

Which name do you want to read in the match report? If you want to look who get into the game of the lineup, you easily get confused with A and B name.

Last edited by CrazyEye at 3/21/2011 4:46:26 PM

This Post:
177416.13 in reply to 177416.12
Date: 3/21/2011 4:57:28 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
His real name, as I mentioned the real name is always there, the alternative name is a secondary name that only exist in your team and changes once he's gone, exactly as jersey number is in your team, player goes somewhere else and that number is gone. The real name would always be there and you look in the history transfer market to find him. I always had in thought that the display would look like if the player is Wilhem Schmidt from Germany and changed to American Will Smith, his name would be displayed as Wilhem Schmidt (Will Smith). Could also just be the alternative name in the middle, but regardless the real name is displayed where it is and not changed.

What I really like to emphasize, this is much less complicated as it sounds to implement and it can be feature that people would really like if you really come to think about it. Many times users get excited about a player, I feel like for so many that excitment completely diminshes when you saying"Dang, that Xanopylaksipotatos Granzischbloobloo is a stud". Ok this is humorous so not great example but if you are like most teams (not all), and you have unfamiliar name as your best player, it really is hard to feel excited about it like the way you would if you're in America and the name of your best player is say Darius Bell.

Last edited by Coach_Gil at 3/21/2011 5:03:08 PM

Advertisement