BB Global (English) > Understanding the draft

Understanding the draft

Set priority
Show messages by

This Post:
120417.31 in reply to 120417.30
Date: 12/7/2009 2:13:43 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I understand what you are saying, but I doubt it will give the other teams much advantage.

If I scout #35 find out he is a B+ player, 4 star rating 3 star potential and 19 years old, and I later find out his name is Bob Smith... Well after the draft under Bob Smith's name is his actual potential, his age, and his salary. Looking at the players salary and DMI is the best way to determine how good a player is. How can a B+ and a 4 star rating help me? If I share that information with someone else would it really help them?

Putting the draft edit number next to the rookies name and keeping the draft edit sheet up a couple of weeks is an easy fix, harmless, and people will understand how the draft went.

that`s why there wont ever be numbers near the names... you know which player you chose as your pick nr.5 so you are able to compare him with stats or info you got on draft list. This is already not a point as everyone are able to do that. The point is that this could be made in easier way then we have to do that now.

ZyZla - ZyZlūnas ZyZlavotas ~c(=
This Post:
120417.32 in reply to 120417.29
Date: 12/7/2009 2:45:18 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
One thing that's missing in this discussion is that in terms of where the top players end up compared to draft position and the amount spent on scouting, the current system does its job quite well.

Just to answer this... In the current system, if everyone spent zero dollars on scouting you would still have vitually the same quality of drafted players in BB (maybe a slight drop in quality due to bot teams drafting a few quality players here and there). So I just don't see the link between money invested and quality of players.

Na, I don't think it's a small difference. The comparison with everyone spending zero dollars is kinda off, since not everyone is spending 40k/week currently. Right now, I've got very few info, I didn't spend a single dollar. I don't expect anything from the draft. And I think many teams who think they'll finish in the top of the league don't.

The difference is being made with the teams close to relegation getting info of 75% of the players, while I only got info about 20% of the players. Everyone at zero dollars would mean everyone got some info about 20% of the players, thus the variance of good players ending up at team spending would be way bigger then it is now.

So I think you certainly underestimate the reduce of the luck factor you're talking about.

This Post:
120417.33 in reply to 120417.32
Date: 12/7/2009 2:56:56 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

So I think you certainly underestimate the reduce of the luck factor you're talking about.

Maybe... It is still luck, no matter if you spend $0 or $40,000, though. For two reasons:

-your league draft might suck, so even if you get great information on the best players, your draft will still suck
-you might spend $40,000, only to scout the worst players in the draft.

I think you only have to look at the last 2 seasons of drafts in Canada's top division to see the luck factor. Generally, no one in Naismith spends money on scouting. In season 8, I invested max value every week, had a high draft pick, but still could not take advantage. That was because 1) I received poor info from my scouts and 2) the draft class sucked.

In season 9, the Naismith draft was killer. One guy drafted two top prospects (mostly because no one else scouted but he still had to get lucky and get the info for those 2 guys).

Run of the Mill Canadian Manager
This Post:
120417.34 in reply to 120417.32
Date: 12/7/2009 3:00:16 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
there could be change made, that every single team would get info of 8 best players on draft list... so in this case you spend 0$ on scouting, so you know 8 best players those probably will be called by 8 teams those are in the bottom of the league... Yes you could be lucky if those teams wont pay interest in those players... those best 8 players could be listed from 1 to 8 and everyone would have the same numbers and the same stats, other 40 players would be mixed... This means that 8 top teams wont get any advantage to know one of the best players then no other team has scouted and get beautiful draft without spending money...

This Post:
120417.35 in reply to 120417.32
Date: 12/7/2009 3:02:30 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

Anyhow, my point is that if you are the only one scouting in your league, you should have a 99% chance to get the top prospects. The guy who spends 0 dollars scouting should have less than a 1% chance to get those prospects. As it stands, if no one scouts, everyone has a 1/16 chance to get the best player in the draft.

On the other hand, if you spend max money, you still only have about a 50% chance to get the top player in the draft, even under ideal circumstances (you draft first and no one else invested in scouting). But if you do miss him, you know 100% for sure that he's going to another team in your league.

Run of the Mill Canadian Manager

This Post:
120417.36 in reply to 120417.31
Date: 12/7/2009 3:12:37 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
that`s why there wont ever be numbers near the names... you know which player you chose as your pick nr.5 so you are able to compare him with stats or info you got on draft list. This is already not a point as everyone are able to do that. The point is that this could be made in easier way then we have to do that now.

That being said, I can only be making educated guesses at best to understand how my draft went. However, they are just guesses, and I still wont have all the information on every single player before the draft, so most of my guesses will be wrong. I probably will know how I did in the first round, but I wont know how the other managers planned and I surely wont know how I did in the second and third round. I don't want to make guesses and without those draft edit numbers the draft just feels like a lottery.

I'm going to post this in a new thread, two different discussions going on in this one.

This Post:
120417.37 in reply to 120417.36
Date: 12/7/2009 3:25:26 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
That being said, I can only be making educated guesses at best to understand how my draft went. However, they are just guesses, and I still wont have all the information on every single player before the draft, so most of my guesses will be wrong. I probably will know how I did in the first round, but I wont know how the other managers planned and I surely wont know how I did in the second and third round. I don't want to make guesses and without those draft edit numbers the draft just feels like a lottery.

What are you talking mate? read it again... now look how draft history page looks... so you already know that you know exactly what place you drafted player took place on your draft list... That mean if you put Nr.48 as you 8th choice so you know that this player was you Nr.8 and if you get lucky and you draft you pink nr.8 on second round so you know which number he had... What`s the problem??? If you`ll make screenshots you`ll always know your players... The only problem is that you have to make lots of screenshots to be able to see each of the players stats and this is annoying.

nr1 pick 1
nr20 pick 2
nr48 pick 3
nr15 pick 4
nr2 pick 5

I hope you understand that there is no need of having numbers near the names as you know by your self what player you assigned to the exactly pick place on the list.

P.S. sorry for my bad English, it`s maybe difficult to understand me.

This Post:
120417.38 in reply to 120417.36
Date: 12/7/2009 3:36:16 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
take a look (http://www.buzzerbeater.com/league/1108/draftSummary.aspx)

Alasauskis, Vismantas ---- BC ZyZla----9-----1 (listed 1st in my draft list)

Kasiulis, Indris ------- BC ZyZla---------- 25---------- 14 (listed 14th in my draft list)

Kazalupskis, Kasparas ----- BC ZyZla------ 41------- 19 (listed 19th in my draft list)

So if I would have screenshots I would know all exactly info i had about them, but as I`m pretty much lazy so I didn`t made any of screenshots...

This Post:
120417.39 in reply to 120417.38
Date: 12/7/2009 3:45:03 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Lets say that was my draft, I still would like to know where my 2nd-13th preference was placed.

This Post:
120417.40 in reply to 120417.39
Date: 12/7/2009 3:50:21 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Lets say that was my draft, I still would like to know where my 2nd-13th preference was placed.

This, I agree with.

!zazhigai!
This Post:
120417.41 in reply to 120417.40
Date: 12/8/2009 12:57:10 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I really think people are missing the mark about the draft, its value, and the players in it.

First of all, I don't think any team should spend much money on the draft unless they will have one of the first three picks.

There are plenty of valuable players in the draft. You just have to get past the prevailing (and false) notion that only players with high potential are useful. For the vast majority of teams in Buzzerbeater, mine included, high potential players are unnecessary. My 6th man has starter potential and a skill sum of 91. He was a 30th pick.

Last edited by somdetsfinest at 12/8/2009 8:25:54 PM

Once I scored a basket that still makes me laugh.
Advertisement