Help - English > free agency

free agency

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
114365.32 in reply to 114365.31
Date: 10/9/2009 3:03:23 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
it doesnt matter if every team bought one or not, prices are dropping for all players meaning i could have strengthened my team rather then upgraded my arena.

even just one new player in my div to a team outside the top 4 in my div causes a chain reaction through the div on how teams will look and play against each other, a team i may win against playing normal may become a crunch time win only , or other teams may now see that team unbeatable tie them and have higher enthusiasm against me.

the change had to happen i agree with that, im just saying it better be around long enough for the teams that got disadvantaged from it (like me) to get a nibble of the pie.

Message deleted
This Post:
114365.35 in reply to 114365.34
Date: 10/9/2009 9:52:23 AM
Aussie Pride
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
I havn't noticed much difference in transfer prices yet everyone is still expensive on there

This Post:
114365.37 in reply to 114365.36
Date: 10/9/2009 11:14:35 AM
Aussie Pride
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Well i'm just saving all my money at the moment seems like the best thing to do.

This Post:
114365.38 in reply to 114365.29
Date: 10/9/2009 5:13:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
i bloody hope not!!!!!!!
i spent all my money on my arena just before this un announced change came.
meaning im now at a huge disadvantage as prices drop and many teams in my div get much better players,
they better be around till atleast end of this season, or im going to be even more disadvantaged.
struggling in div 2 isnt fun, but spending money that now could have saved me from demotion because of an un announced change is just plain game destroying.
i felt i was one step behind in my new div, now i feel 2 huge steps behind my div and worried if div 3 get good buys on the free agents then i may be behind there aswell.

Settle down. From looking at your team, the arena choice was a good one for you. Your arena is terribly small for a DII team, and (lucky for you) your wages are pretty darn cheap for a DII team. With the boost in merchandise and TV money, and the adjustment to fan behaviour, you should be making money hand over fist all season long whether you win or lose.

Also, I wouldn't assume prices are going to fall very quickly, as once the money is removed from the game, it will take a while for it to show much effect.

In the long run, FA are a bad thing. We all want a fair price for our trainees when it comes time to sell, and if all the bidders in the market have spent their cash on FAs, it really doesn't bode well for the rest of us. I, for one, believe that the economy is much worse when a triple sensational 21yo C/PF goes for the same amount as a triple respectable 18yo C/PF, which is precisely the type of market that free agency caused the last time it was around.

(http://www.buzzerbeater.com/community/fedoverview.aspx?fe...)
Keep your friend`s toast, and your enemy`s toaster.
This Post:
114365.39 in reply to 114365.38
Date: 10/9/2009 6:10:33 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Excellent "5-ball comments." I wish every manager and the BB staff would read—and then reread—the last paragraph. Nowhere have I seen the argument against FAs put so well nor so succinctly...

Pappy
This Post:
114365.40 in reply to 114365.39
Date: 10/9/2009 7:03:32 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks, Pappy.

I imagine you were in the same boat as me the last time you sold a trainee. It was ridiculous to train a guy for 3 seasons and have him suddenly be worth less than what you paid for him as a 18/19yo. Now that prices have finally recovered, it's a bit insulting for the FA window to be opened up again so we can watch our money blow out of it.

This Post:
114365.41 in reply to 114365.40
Date: 10/9/2009 10:43:23 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well at the same time, inflation is getting out of control especially with the additional revenue people were getting from changes to the merchandise and TV contracts. I think it'll only be a temporary thing to increase the supply of players on the market hence reducing the prices.

The inflation filters all the way through the whole BB economy from the top down. I don't know if people have noticed but players which I could get for <5k last season all of a sudden are now worth 20k+ or so. Now at the top end of the scale, the prices are jacked up even higher. This again attributes to the fact everyone has more money to spend so increasing supply of players seems like a logical choice to try bring prices back down.

Its just bad timing that you bought guys at a higher worth than they are now. Factors outside your control (i.e. BB changing the rules) directly affected this. But again, given time long enough it will all filter out and prices will readjust itself.

This Post:
114365.42 in reply to 114365.41
Date: 10/9/2009 11:36:58 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well at the same time, inflation is getting out of control especially with the additional revenue people were getting from changes to the merchandise and TV contracts. I think it'll only be a temporary thing to increase the supply of players on the market hence reducing the prices.

We agree that prices need a small reduction, and that we both hope this change is a temporary adjustment. The extra influx of merch and TV money revenue and increased arena attendance were necessary changes, though. I found it nearly impossible to make money the past two seasons in DII, and I suspect most of my rivals had a similar issue. Player and staff wages were eating up every bit of income, and the staff got more expensive every week. The only thing that kept me out of the red last season was the increase in Cup income. After getting knocked out of the Cup, I was losing ~$20k/week, and ended up downgrading all of my staff so that I looked like a DIV team.

The inflation filters all the way through the whole BB economy from the top down. I don't know if people have noticed but players which I could get for <5k last season all of a sudden are now worth 20k+ or so. Now at the top end of the scale, the prices are jacked up even higher. This again attributes to the fact everyone has more money to spend so increasing supply of players seems like a logical choice to try bring prices back down.

I'm not going to get into an argument about economics, because I know next to nothing about the subject. (I can't even remember the PIN number for my debit card.) But if there is really a difference between paying 5k or 20k for a player, I've never noticed it. If you want to talk about <50k players now selling for 200k+, on the other hand, I'd be willing to listen.

Its just bad timing that you bought guys at a higher worth than they are now. Factors outside your control (i.e. BB changing the rules) directly affected this. But again, given time long enough it will all filter out and prices will readjust itself.

I'm not currently affected by this. My argument stems from the situation four or five seasons ago, when prices were much like they are today due to a massive influx of new players. If you bought an 18yo with decent potential at that time, then trained the kid for 3 seasons, he was worth about the same as what you'd bought him for in the first place (rather than being worth more due to a massive increase in his skill set). This made it next to impossible for lower division teams to improve their personnel, and created a huge gap between older top division teams and younger, lower division teams. The only folks that managed to bridge this gap in my experience were heavy traders and those lucky enough to be blessed with extremely good draft picks.

More money balances things out, particularly for the guys at the bottom of the totem pole, who can now get some real money for their trained players and really improve their teams.

I agree that things will readjust eventually, but I don't think that readjustment will really start to happen for another 5+ seasons, when all the original allstar* potential players are into their 30s. It will take a few seasons more for the first crop of new potential trained players to start feeling the effects of skill decay, which should finally bring about some semblance of balance among the player pool.

Of course, if the number of BB managers increases in size dramatically like it has in the past (there are something like 20x more people playing now than when I started BB), more adjustments will need to be made. ;)