BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > The official "Ask a BB Day Thread"

The official "Ask a BB Day Thread" (thread closed)

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
267318.32 in reply to 267318.29
Date: 1/28/2015 2:31:17 PM
TrenseRI
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
ChiLeaders
Another one: this season you implemented the BLU prevention code, which was the best way to create a good rotation between your players during a game, and I think it was one of the things that were really cool when you were watching the live game and the coach was doing a lot of substitutions as you can see in real life basketball game, instead of only switch the inicial 5 for the backup 5. The question is: are there any plans to implement a new sub system that would allow a better rotation of the team in important games??
Some say it's the best way to create a good rotation, other see it as a blatant exploit of a loophole. You say the constant substitutions are cool, others see it as a very unrealistic bug in the GE (since no real life team does so many in a match). You can probably guess in which of these standpoints I personally believe.

A new, better rotation system would seriously tip the scales off balance for a lot of other things related, weekly minutes and training being the first things that come to mind. Even if we decide to do something in that direction, we must be very careful not to make a series of other issues with it.

This Post:
267318.33 in reply to 267318.32
Date: 1/28/2015 2:49:37 PM
No Good News
II.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Backyard Brawlers
There is a difference between contested and uncontested threes so your analysis is not bad, but even on the uncontested ones there's some effect of the opponents defense.

Ok, thanks for raising my enthusiasm again.. So that effect is team defense rating.. Which should be conquered with team flow rating, i guess..
About shot blocking.. When you explain the GE, you say that the player is analyzing if the shot is good or not, and then decides to shoot or pass.. Does he take into consideration the opponents shot blocking? I mean, does, let's say, player prefers to shoot the jumper instead of drive or other inside shot, if he knows that the center has high shot blocking skill?

This Post:
267318.34 in reply to 267318.33
Date: 1/28/2015 3:19:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Thanks for your earlier answers, my utopia team has reminded me it wanted a question asked. Is 1 on 1 training for wingmen 90% of 1 on 1 for guards or 90% of 1 on 1 for forwards???

This Post:
267318.36 in reply to 267318.33
Date: 1/28/2015 4:31:15 PM
TrenseRI
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
ChiLeaders
About shot blocking.. When you explain the GE, you say that the player is analyzing if the shot is good or not, and then decides to shoot or pass.. Does he take into consideration the opponents shot blocking? I mean, does, let's say, player prefers to shoot the jumper instead of drive or other inside shot, if he knows that the center has high shot blocking skill?
Sorry, but that's way too specific for me to answer.

This Post:
267318.37 in reply to 267318.1
Date: 1/28/2015 4:46:26 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Bless you for doing this thread every Wednesday. It gives managers a great way to discuss the game in a constructive way. It also gives your assistants the opportunity to close down the threads that are mainly whining and direct the people to this thread, where they will be expected to be constructive. Well done!

One little question: Some of your BB's are really doing good work in the forums; are there any thoughts about allowing us to indicate approval of a BB's post only more than once a day with those little basketball symbols? Thanks.

This Post:
267318.39 in reply to 267318.36
Date: 1/28/2015 5:19:45 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Hello Marin and thank you for giving us the opportunity to ask you a few things:

1. For a various number of reasons, not needed to be analyzed here, prices in TL have gone way up. Are there into consideration any means to relieve economy? For example, lowering the salary limits of Free Agents? Or adding more FA due to their total skill points and not salary (a lot of good players are lost because they are too cheap for their true value). I think one of the reasons new players leave is because with 300.000$ (+ 4x50.000) they cannot buy any worthwhile and cheap player.

2. Do you feel that GS training is overpowered? Do you have any plans to further tweak its power, remove it or limit its use to a fixed amount every season? Do you feel that GS training has something to do with the lack of well-trained players (and therefore with the bug prices in TL)?

3. Are there any thoughts about training whatsoever? Don't you feel that training speed is a little too low to keep most of the managers hooked?

4. Any plans to refresh site's appearance? Or ditch flash for GE to something more modern and easier to repair?

Thank you once again :)

This Post:
267318.40 in reply to 267318.36
Date: 1/28/2015 5:34:58 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Hi Marin

Lots of people are asking about specific issues but I'd just like to know what the top priorities are for BB in the next few seasons?

This Post:
267318.41 in reply to 267318.37
Date: 1/28/2015 6:33:37 PM
TrenseRI
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
ChiLeaders
are there any thoughts about allowing us to indicate approval of a BB's post only more than once a day with those little basketball symbols?
No.

1. For a various number of reasons, not needed to be analyzed here, prices in TL have gone way up. Are there into consideration any means to relieve economy? For example, lowering the salary limits of Free Agents? Or adding more FA due to their total skill points and not salary (a lot of good players are lost because they are too cheap for their true value). I think one of the reasons new players leave is because with 300.000$ (+ 4x50.000) they cannot buy any worthwhile and cheap player.

2. Do you feel that GS training is overpowered? Do you have any plans to further tweak its power, remove it or limit its use to a fixed amount every season? Do you feel that GS training has something to do with the lack of well-trained players (and therefore with the bug prices in TL)?

3. Are there any thoughts about training whatsoever? Don't you feel that training speed is a little too low to keep most of the managers hooked?

4. Any plans to refresh site's appearance? Or ditch flash for GE to something more modern and easier to repair?
1. Lowering the salary limits has been discussed by us but we decided against it because we actually like the rise in prices. If it goes out of hand, we will intervene in the FA limits. And yes, we still believe salary to be a fitting measure of a players worth in this case. New users can buy a couple of nice trainees with that money. Problem is that everyone wants to train MVPs and up. That's just unrealistic.

2. GS training effect was reduced last season, but if needed, we will reduce it even more. How much and when is to be decided. At the moment, the situation on the transfer list is under control and the rise of player values is a good thing (they were very much undervalued so far, therefore the incentive to train was low). There is no lack of well-trained players due to GS training, since GS training was used by a small percentage of teams. Actually, I personally think there is no lack of well trained players at all, but I'll agree to disagree.

3. Training is exactly where it should be, with it's pace being just right too. Training was never meant to be easy nor quick, it is, like most of the things here, a challenge. In a strategy game like this, successful managers need to have skill, determination and patience for long term planning and performance. To some, this is exactly what keeps them hooked.

4. We had some ideas over the years but a complete visual rehaul would probably take too much of our resources. In a text based strategy game, we don't feel graphics are top priority (even though I agree they could be updated). We would ditch flash in a second if we could do it easily. Again, it is too big a project to do manually, but eventually a converter to HTML5 might do the job.

This Post:
267318.42 in reply to 267318.40
Date: 1/28/2015 7:03:00 PM
TrenseRI
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
ChiLeaders
Lots of people are asking about specific issues but I'd just like to know what the top priorities are for BB in the next few seasons?

A valid and simple question with a possibly very controversial answer If I give you my TO-DO list, are you going to hold it against me if I don't do something from it on time? Or even worse; if we decide against doing something after I listed it here, are you going to get mad and say "You promised!" ? Circumstances can change and therefore, I beg you, don't take the items of this list as promises. But, since I clearly have some self destructive tendencies, I'm going to (partially) release it. It is not complete (nor as specific as I keep it) because some things I cannot/don't want to list here. The items are not sorted in any particular order.

Anyway, here they are:
- implement league level (human filled / bot filled) choice for new managers
- fan survey update
- deal with inside based strategy dominance
- BB app:
- think of/decide on a way of financing/developing it (crowd sourcing? open source?)
- prepare a special developers API for it (so we can use outside developers without giving them direct access to the db)
- boost social media presence

Now please, since it's late and I'm tired, don't make me regret this. And again, I'm aware that there are a lot more issues that need tackling but remember that this is an incomplete list of priorities.

Last edited by BB-Marin at 1/28/2015 7:04:15 PM

Advertisement