Help - English > hyper-inflation?

hyper-inflation?

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
268635.35 in reply to 268635.34
Date: 4/10/2015 2:53:44 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Here's an even better test for your theory and mine.

Example 1: Five managers, two players that they want for their teams. Inherent value of each player is $100. Bidding ensues, and two managers get their player. How much do you think those players sold for? Answer: The players sell for $100 each.

Example 2: Same managers, same players, but to test my theory each manager has $1000. Do you think the player prices will be higher? You say supply (two players) and demand (five managers) are the same, so prices will be the same. I say the prices will be higher, too much money chasing the players. Answer: The players sell for almost $1000 each.

Example 3: Ten managers this time, each with $100 just like example 1, and the same two players. Will the price of the players be higher or not? You say twice as much demand but the same supply as example 1, so higher selling price. I say no, the cash is the same so the selling price is the same as example 1. Answer: The players sell for $100 each.

People say the decreasing number of managers in BB is the problem. Nope. Notice that if the number of managers decreases, you have to take a corresponding amount of cash out of the system, and then if you do that, prices remain stable. The key is still the cash.

The cash in the system is the culprit. If managers have too much cash, the prices are too high. If many, many managers have too much cash, the prices are too high. If there are fewer managers in the game but they still have too much cash, then prices are still too high. It isn't how many managers there are that matters, it is how much cash they have.

This Post:
268635.36 in reply to 268635.35
Date: 4/10/2015 6:58:46 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
It will be interesting to see average weekly net income not only for own league but for:
- all teams on the same level from the same country
- all teams on the same level on the world
- all teams from the same country
- all teams on whole world
as well.
Other interesting information could be:
- sum or average cash reserves (at least for whole world, I'm not sure it will be good for own league)
- sum of all weekly player transfers (and sum off all transfer fees)
- sum of all staff bonuses and severance
- sum of all GM fines ;-)
- etc
- average arena capacity (it can be done by external tool)

It would help to control global economy by community, find inballances, observe short and long term tendences.

This Post:
268635.38 in reply to 268635.34
Date: 4/10/2015 9:15:06 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
So I guess we can agree on three things, eh? (A) Teams that existed for maybe one day "don't move the needle." (Those weren't the teams I was talking about anyway, as I am certain you realize. Bringing them up was a red herring.) (B) Some bankruptcies occur after the team has pumped all its money into the economy, and then pumped in more money that it didn't have, sometimes more than a half million dollars, and then disappear. This puts a lot of excess cash into the economy. (C) When the replacement for these teams get a new manager, another $300k is pumped into the game, plus $50k per week for several more weeks.

The whole point I have apparently been unable to make is that the idea of money "pumped into the game" is the red herring, as none of that money causes any effects on the rest of the game world in any way unless the manager participates in the transfer market. The money they spend on wages or scouting or anything else disappears into a hole, and new dollars are created from attendance and TV revenue and the like. If, at the time a team went bot, every single dollar they owned was paid to staff as a severance bonus, that wouldn't cause even one millionth of a dollar of change to the "economy." If at the time a team went bot, they continued to draw revenue from attendance and merchandising and ceased paying salary, causing their bank accounts to rise perpetually, that wouldn't cause even one millionth of a dollar of change to the "economy." It will still cost the same amount of money to build a lower tier seat, a player's wage will be the same for the same skill set, and the amount of money available for teams to buy and sell players is exactly the same.

Now you can continue to say "other things overheat the economy, too," and I'll agree. But you cannot honestly deny that bankruptcies are a factor.

Sure, and the gravitational pull of the moon on the Earth is a factor in why Shaq was a horrible free throw shooter. I'm sorry, that's dismissive. I'm saying that the actual affect of bankruptcies on the transfer market (which I assume is what you mean by economy in this context) is trivially small.

You think "supply and demand" of players is the root of the problem. I say no, too much cash chasing too few worthwhile players is the root of the problem.

You know, "too few worthwhile players" sounds awful lot like saying there's insufficient supply of players. Let me ask google to define supply, and the noun definition:
a stock of a resource from which a person or place can be provided with the necessary amount of that resource:

Now I just need to read up on the economic model that says when there is too little supply for a product that is easily produceable at a low cost, the solution is to forcibly extract money from people until only those who started with the most money will have enough left over to purchase the product.

This Post:
268635.39 in reply to 268635.35
Date: 4/10/2015 10:09:45 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
[...]
The cash in the system is the culprit. If managers have too much cash, the prices are too high. If many, many managers have too much cash, the prices are too high. If there are fewer managers in the game but they still have too much cash, then prices are still too high. It isn't how many managers there are that matters, it is how much cash they have.

The flaw in your examples is that they make an unspoken assumption that supply is fixed and can not be altered. If no other players are ever going to be created, people will have to spend up to their available resources to acquire the player because there will never be another player available to them again.

But putting that aside, since there's no point in discussing something based on that flawed a premise, what is your solution? If money needs to be drained out of the game when teams leave, are you suggesting that each week, BB deducts additional cash from each team in the game to make sure that the transfer prices stay at whatever fixed point someone deems appropriate?

So do they take this money from everyone? "Hey, new team, I know you're working on building your arena and not spending money on the market, but prices went up 3% this week, so we are deducting $15,000 from your account." Or just from people who want to spend to buy players? "Hey, I know you'd like to buy player X, but prices went up 5%, so we'll take that money from you. On the bright side, he'll cost you less now!" Or maybe just those who sell players? "Player prices went up 5%, because there aren't enough good players. So since you are one of the people making the players, we'll have to make sure to take that 5% out of the transfer fee to keep prices level. Maybe if you'd make enough players, you wouldn't get penalized any more!"

And if that works, all you're doing is reducing the amount of money in terms of pure dollars. Teams will still spend their available dollars on the players, just that those without large reserves built up in the past will be disproportionately affected. Teams who need to spend dollars on arena expansions will be disproportionately affected. And prices for players who are desirable to teams who don't fall into your limitation of having very low money compared to the player's "worth" won't be affected - a 300k valued player would be worth a lot less to new teams if they don't start with 300k, for instance, but if guys with $3M in the bank still want him that price won't drop at all.

Other than all of that, it almost might work. Anything to make sure that you can buy players without people having to actually create them, I suppose.

This Post:
268635.40 in reply to 268635.38
Date: 4/10/2015 12:25:08 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
The whole point I have apparently been unable to make is that the idea of money "pumped into the game" is the red herring, as none of that money causes any effects on the rest of the game world in any way unless the manager participates in the transfer market.

And since the entire roster cannot be trained from your draftees, the transfer market is an essential part of success at this game. Therefore, money pumped into the market is a fundamental influence on the game. Even your own posts sometimes make my point, no matter how hard you try to blow smoke over the entire topic.

Look, I get it, you evidently cannot admit that the BB's can do anything about the overheated economy. Maybe defending the game from anything perceived as a threat is part of being a GM, like a mama bear defending her cubs. But the overheated economy is a far, far greater threat than anyone calling it out.

This Post:
268635.41 in reply to 268635.37
Date: 4/10/2015 12:27:35 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
When a team is 1$ in the red, where are they pumping money ? They cannot use it to buy players, so they don't transfer that money to other users. And seriously, there is not that much team going bankrupt. You are trying to make a discussion out of nothing...
... sort of like using a team $1 in the red as an example. Talk about trying to make a discussion out of nothing, I could take lessons here.

This Post:
268635.43 in reply to 268635.39
Date: 4/10/2015 12:39:54 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
[...]
The flaw in your examples is that they make an unspoken assumption that supply is fixed and can not be altered.
Not at all. You are again misrepresenting what I said. It was me among many others (who are willing to admit there is a problem) that suggested that a simple step toward correcting the problem would be lowering the threshold for players going on the free Agency.

Now let's see how many absurd suggestions we can think up to try to mock the other people in the discussion ... how about these ...
BB deducts additional cash from each team in the game to make sure that the transfer prices stay at whatever fixed point someone deems appropriate ... So do they take this money from everyone? "Hey, new team, I know you're working on building your arena and not spending money on the market, but prices went up 3% this week, so we are deducting $15,000 from your account." Or just from people who want to spend to buy players? "Hey, I know you'd like to buy player X, but prices went up 5%, so we'll take that money from you. On the bright side, he'll cost you less now!" Or maybe just those who sell players? "Player prices went up 5%, because there aren't enough good players. So since you are one of the people making the players, we'll have to make sure to take that 5% out of the transfer fee to keep prices level. Maybe if you'd make enough players, you wouldn't get penalized any more!"

How about a serious look at the problem for a change? Or at least be honest enough to admit you either don't see the problem with the overpricing of players, or just that you like it because it benefits the daytraders and teams at the top. You can say that without fearing that the problem will go away -- it won't. But if you would stop denying it and mocking people's suggestions, maybe there would be a climate conducive to people working constructively to help BB.

This Post:
268635.44 in reply to 268635.42
Date: 4/10/2015 12:44:18 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
A team 1$ in red or a team 499,999$ in red are not pumping money into anything except outside of BB. Nobody get their money.

Oh, great, now we can pretend we're talking about real money outside of BB instead of the "money" in the BB game. Swell. Thumbs up on that one. Great red herring! *cough*cough*the smoke is getting thick around here.

Advertisement