BB Global (English) > Soft cap.

Soft cap.

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
84203.35 in reply to 84203.34
Date: 4/6/2009 3:35:50 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
and i can tell you with almost complete certainly the same ;)

You're entitled to your opinion, of course. I am not going to argue with you.

And salary isn't the same for every position, so even with your only salary theory, there are different caps for PG and Center skill wise ;)

There is an infinite number of skill combinations that can cap you out. I guess that makes for an "infinite number of caps skill wise", the way you're wording it.

What exactly is your point anyhow?

Last edited by GM-kozlodoev at 4/6/2009 3:36:45 PM

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
84203.36 in reply to 84203.35
Date: 4/6/2009 3:38:43 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
There is an infinite number of skill combinations that can cap you out. What exactly is your point?

and all these infinite solutions(who currently aren't infinite, if you think about it), are calculated on different ways for the positions - so i said your answer is wrong even with your theory that they aren't different cap fornmulas for centers/guards etc.

This Post:
84203.37 in reply to 84203.36
Date: 4/6/2009 3:53:52 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
There is an infinite number of skill combinations that can cap you out. What exactly is your point?

and all these infinite solutions(who currently aren't infinite, if you think about it), are calculated on different ways for the positions - so i said your answer is wrong even with your theory that they aren't different cap fornmulas for centers/guards etc.

Actually, the solutions are infinite, since skills levels are real numbers -- maybe you should think about it instead...

What is a "cap formula" anyway?

(Just for the record, I don't have a "theory" about how potential works -- I actually bothered to read the information offered by BB-Charles in the forums when potentials were introduced, and it was pretty clear -- potential is a single value which should be though of as a salary limit, and given that there are multiple ways to add salary, there are multiple ways to reach one's potential)

edit: For details, see (29708.11). I have other work to do now.

Last edited by GM-kozlodoev at 4/6/2009 3:59:08 PM

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
84203.38 in reply to 84203.37
Date: 4/6/2009 4:24:21 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Actually, the solutions are infinite, since skills levels are real numbers -- maybe you should think about it instead...

real numbers on the pc, are you kidding ;) You could be happy about 64 Bit numbers, but i would expect 32 or 16.

What is a "cap formula" anyway?

the formula who determines if a player reach a cap or not, or how much the cap is working ;) In your case, the 5 salary formulas, in my theory 5 slightly different formulas.

Just for the record, I don't have a "theory" about how potential works -- I actually bothered to read the information offered by BB-Charles in the forums when potentials were introduced, and it was pretty clear

this still work with a slightly different formula then the salary one, it is an approximation and i watxch the progress of many all star centers to get to a point where i expect a differen with josef KA formula from 5k where the first skillup get missed betwenn centers with blocking and the ones without ;)

A clear statement looks another way in my eyes, maybe i am wrong maybe i am not.

This Post:
84203.39 in reply to 84203.31
Date: 4/6/2009 6:30:34 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I have been following this post for a few days now, finding it very interesting. When I got to this post the handle I had on this subject flew out the window. My post is not meant to argue with you at all, I merely would like to address this post below with some questions in hopes of better understanding the subject matter.

so why are guardskills for the cap of the center so unimportant?

How important a skill is has little to do with how salary is calculated.

i don't believe that a aless trained guardskill is so unimportant for a guard, so i expect that respectable JS makes more different for a "only PG" then for a Center. So why it makes you so sure that this theory is wrong?

I don't know what theory you have in mind. Potential is based on salary, not directly on skill level -- and this is 100% true unless you have some reason to believe the game developpers are lying to all of us.

1. Is Salary based on skill level? If so then isnt Potential also a representation of skill level?

2. If a player changes position from a pop, isnt his 'hidden' salary changed due to certain skills being more important to his new position than his old, and vice versa?

3. I have read that the position is determined by highest salary among the 5 for the specific person. Doesnt this suggest that the salary hit for position skill is higher than for a non-postion skill? If so then wouldnt pops be wieghted by position/non position skill concerning salary?

Again, not trying to be argumentative, just trying to understand.

This Post:
84203.40 in reply to 84203.39
Date: 4/6/2009 6:42:57 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
1. Is Salary based on skill level? If so then isnt Potential also a representation of skill level?
Salary is based on a combination of skill levels. The relative weight of skills varies by position.

Potential is a cap, as such, it's just a number. BB-Charles has suggested that it's useful to think about potential as a salary cap.

If a player changes position from a pop, isnt his 'hidden' salary changed due to certain skills being more important to his new position than his old, and vice versa?
Any change in salary from a position change will indeed probably be related to the change in weighting that different skills have.

I have read that the position is determined by highest salary among the 5 for the specific person. Doesnt this suggest that the salary hit for position skill is higher than for a non-postion skill? If so then wouldnt pops be wieghted by position/non position skill concerning salary?

It is probably reasonable to think that positions will change so that the salary of a player is always the highest possible (I personally have no observations on this).

I am not quite sure what the question is here. Yes, the salary increase from a "position" skill will likely be higher than the salary increase in "secondary" skill. Whereas the skill weights in the salary formula are probably not 0s and 1s, there are shades of gray in the picture.

Hope this helps. I think I got a little confused there too, CrazyEye certainly uses some weird word ordering from time to time, and this threw me off.

Last edited by GM-kozlodoev at 4/6/2009 6:43:29 PM

This Post:
84203.41 in reply to 84203.40
Date: 4/6/2009 6:57:32 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
It just sounded like you were saying all skill increases were 1's regardless of position, and therefore the position you are assigned has no bearing on salary based on the variances in skills for just that position (a PF with slightly higher ID vs PF with slightly higher OD skill)

I do get confused sometimes. Thanks for taking the time to clear that up. I feel I am back to the page I was on before......wherever that is :)

This Post:
84203.42 in reply to 84203.27
Date: 4/6/2009 8:08:05 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
And that would explain why Mathiot capped at 90-100k

maybe i missed the discussion on Mathiot early in this thread, but, just cause mathiot made it to 90-100k salary doesnt mean his potential was higher. he could have hit the cap at 50k, and kept training (at a slower pace) all the way up to 100k, 200k, etc

"Well, no ones gonna top that." - http://tinyurl.com/noigttt
This Post:
84203.43 in reply to 84203.31
Date: 4/10/2009 12:45:26 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

I don't know what theory you have in mind. Potential is based on salary, not directly on skill level -- and this is 100% true unless you have some reason to believe the game developpers are lying to all of us.

provide a quote from BBs then... Or just stop act you know for sure. You have a theory, not a fact.

This Post:
84203.44 in reply to 84203.33
Date: 4/10/2009 12:47:52 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

I can tell you with almost complete certainty that your experience is wrong.

No comment. Is there some "best-of-quotes" thread somewhere?

This Post:
84203.45 in reply to 84203.43
Date: 4/10/2009 12:53:21 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

provide a quote from BBs then... Or just stop act you know for sure. You have a theory, not a fact.

Do you understand what a GM does?

NO ONE at this table ordered a rum & Coke
Charles: Penn has some good people
A CT? Really?
Any two will do
Any three for me
Any four will score
Any five are live
Advertisement