BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > Testing the "empty lineup prevention" code in Private League matches

Testing the "empty lineup prevention" code in Private League matches

Set priority
Show messages by

This Post:
259887.36 in reply to 259887.35
Date: 7/4/2014 9:46:00 AM
Delta 9
II.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Euphoria Seekers
The reason blank lineups work better is because "let coach decide" does a poor job of substituting players when you fill the depth chart. With a blank lineup, the coach constantly looks for the best lineup, leading to more substitutions and, presumably, a more rested group of players on the floor.

Blank lineups are not a way out, they are a way to permit you coach to make the most out of your team. For whatever reason, the coach makes more intelligent decisions in a blank lineup situation. Why you would want to get rid of the most intelligent coaching method is beyond me.

Last edited by Dmitri at 7/4/2014 9:46:51 AM

This Post:
259887.37 in reply to 259887.36
Date: 7/4/2014 10:45:05 AM
Neverwinter
CGBBL
Overall Posts Rated:
So, how does this works, exactly? I mean, we could use more details.

This is what I assume: You need to set your starting lineup, and you can leave substitutions blank with Let coach decide. For example, if you have 5 good starters and 2-3 extra good players. This is the way good teams are currently constructed. Will it work under the new game engine?

This Post:
259887.38 in reply to 259887.35
Date: 7/4/2014 12:26:00 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I will happily test the thing ... but ... do I put starters in and nothing else? Do I put 1, 2 or 3 players in and nothing else? Do I pick the 12 players and nothing else? Do I fill in starter, backup and reserve for one position and nothing else?

Is there an actual, comprehensive, REALISTIC* explanation of this matter anywhere? It would be useful to help shape the conversation constructively and help us know how to test it.

How it works now ____________________
Pros and cons ______________________
The proposed change _____________________
Pros and cons of the change ______________________

*Realistic and unbiased, not vigorously spun and one-sided like the discussion on permitting a manager to have a second team.

Thank you.

Last edited by Mike Franks at 7/4/2014 12:30:01 PM

This Post:
259887.39 in reply to 259887.38
Date: 7/4/2014 12:35:47 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
*Realistic and unbiased, not vigorously spun and one-sided like the discussion on permitting a manager to have a second team.

The problem is, that's not how the Internet works. ;)

This Post:
259887.41 in reply to 259887.40
Date: 7/4/2014 1:52:31 PM
Fab Five
II.3
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Fabulous Five
Read BB-Marin, they had to stop it for this week because training was failing this morning.

This Post:
259887.42 in reply to 259887.30
Date: 7/4/2014 2:36:20 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
It's no. 2. Walkovers are not affected by the change. This feature will only be used when none or just one starter is set. If the number of players dressed (in the roster) is lower than the walkover minimum, the game will still be a walkover.
This is surprising. I was convinced until yesterday that "Empty Lineup / Let Coach Decide" was an intentional feature, with a number of advantages:

- managers must trade- off optimum substitutions vs control over who plays at what position
- managers must trade-off optimum minutes in game vs better control over weekly minutes
- managers can study how the BB-code compares players - useful both for newcomers and for experts

What are the downsides?

- enables a casual managing style with empty lineup in all competitive games
- favours managers who skip the training dimension of the game

But are these real problems? Casual players are a significant - although silent - component of the user base. And training is not a competitive strategy, it is an alternative way of playing the game, which actually makes it more interesting in the long term. Those who claim that training and player development should be the optimum approach for short-term competitiveness cannot possibly be serious. Please look to the real world.

So in sum I do not agree at all that "Empty Lineup / Let Coach Decide" should be punished. This would make the game poorer.

From the Guide:
Substitution Pattern
The coach will sometimes use his own judgment to decide what the proper balance is between starters, backups, reserves, and even players on the bench but not in the depth chart at all. You can set the balance between how much coaches use their own judgment or defer to yours with the substitutions box. You can use entirely your judgment (Strictly Follow Depth Chart), entirely the coach's judgment (Let Coach Decide), a mix between the two (Coach Picks from Depth Chart), or you can use your depth chart strictly until the 4th quarter, then tell the coach to try and win the game however he thinks is best (Depth Chart until 4th).

No where does it say anything about blank lineups leading to the best rotation. This is not a newbie assist or casual assist. This only helps coaches that have learned the nuances of the game and that in fact know that blank lineups are ideal. I spent 8 seasons not knowing that BL was the ultimate strategy, until this season where I saw a former CUP WINNER having awesome rotations that I had never noticed before.

So no, this is just a powergamer strategy...not a normal user strategy. Maybe, you haven't spent enough time playing in low leagues?

This Post:
259887.43 in reply to 259887.42
Date: 7/4/2014 2:53:09 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
What's the difference between Let Coach Decide with a depth chart and Let COach Decide with a blank lineup?

This Post:
259887.44 in reply to 259887.31
Date: 7/4/2014 3:27:25 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
(71979782)

Sent a black line up, let the coach decide. Looks the same to me.

Real problem in the game is Game Shape Training, way too strong, I think that you need to focus into that, not in a tool that has no mayor impact in the game.

The "empty lineup prevention" is just a tactic that doesn't allows you to control the minutes, is an easy counterable tactic, but game shape training is not. I think that you need to hear the community. just search for the topics that talks about game shape unbalance.

To: FSH
This Post:
259887.45 in reply to 259887.44
Date: 7/4/2014 3:57:22 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I just completed my first game ever using a partially blank lineup where two starters were declared and Let Coach Decide.

I feel dirty now and need a shower. The two starters I had declared played 36 min until the 4th where the other 3 players moved around quite a bit to help the rotation work best with two backups utilized.

Not that it would have helped me win titles, but I probably would have spent less money on title run rosters had I known I could run a fluid 7 man rotation. Interesting. Also interesting is my starters actually moved to other positions where they could help out to create better rotations. No player played more than 38 minutes.

Would be better though if they publish insider information like that in the user guide. IMO it must not be something that was intended and obviously in reading the guide would not have been known unless you had engineered by testing it out. Its really not intuitive especially in the set lineup mode.

Advertisement