BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > most expensive transfer ever?

most expensive transfer ever?

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
39933.36 in reply to 39933.33
Date: 7/24/2008 8:01:17 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
No one who starts these days has any hope of catching up to the NBBA, no matter how good they are in managing their tactics and team.

Exactly 1 team team from any top league participates in the B3, and one other team which might or might not be from the NBBA, per season. If you think that type of extra revenue is an obstacle for catching up -- wow!

Plus, catching up is a process. Most NBBA teams have put 4+ seasons of work in getting there, there is no reason to expect that players who start now should be able to catch up in less than that (and realistically it should take quite a bit more). This is natural.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
39933.38 in reply to 39933.37
Date: 7/24/2008 11:41:59 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I dont want to add insult to inj. but I would hope even if you invest every cent you can get your hand on to buy 3 suitable trainees and give each one 12-15 skill ups (minimum in a season) you should fetch at least 4-5mil more than the price you paid..... sooner or later operating costs are going to be non existant for top teams... so you better get used to training efficiently cos for some its going to be the only way to make a real profit...

This Post:
39933.39 in reply to 39933.37
Date: 7/24/2008 11:47:01 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Plus, catching up is a process. Most NBBA teams have put 4+ seasons of work in getting there, there is no reason to expect that players who start now should be able to catch up in less than that (and realistically it should take quite a bit more). This is natural.

Just to put on the record that, in competitive countries, this claim is simply false. In the current NBBA there are only 6 teams that haven't been in the NBBA since season 3 (before that, bot cleanups shuffled the leagues in ridiculous way.). Of these only two will make the playoff.

It's true that most of us aren't so concerned with doing the most effective possible way to climb up the series (though my team has won promotion both past season, and only this season I'm in a really good league). But it's also true that it isn't clear what kind of threat the core of the NBBA faces from teams in lower leagues.

Ah also: what can you do with 350k? You can pay a *season's salary* to a player that makes 25-27k a week.

What I meant by getting there was creating a team which is able to compete on the top level, not literally getting into the top league. And team building is a process which takes multiple seasons.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."
This Post:
39933.40 in reply to 39933.39
Date: 7/25/2008 12:13:22 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
this is what i think, looking at the market right now there is still a big gap with regards to talented players.

meaning you dont see a lot of good or even great players that could influence the buying and selling of players today. you know supply demand theory :D

i bet with the number of users growing, and the knowledge of players getting more better than before imagine i wasted 1.5 seasons using team training and its not stamina and ft :D

im predicting in 2 season or 3 ill be able to see a lot of goood talent ( i hope ) compare to now, but i fear same as the nba is there isnt enough talent to go around :D

once the average talent level rises then we will see an alter in how we buy.

This Post:
39933.42 in reply to 39933.41
Date: 7/25/2008 1:05:09 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well, that's even worse for your views: as I said only 2 teams among those that haven't been in the NBBA all along are even making the playoffs. The NBBA shows that in the past three season very few have been able to challenge the teams who just found themselves there to begin with.

By the way, my point (and I take it Ardain) is not that I'm not cool with there being a gap. It's simply that the gap shouldn't be amplified.

My views are that teams that have been built since season 1 will obviously be better at this point in time than teams that teams than those that have started in season 2 and 3. If you think that's 'even worse for my views', so be it. You're entitled to your opinion.

And teams that start right now (as Artain says in his post) will indeed need seasons of play to catch up with current NBBA teams, depending on managerial skills. This is normal.BB is not an short-term, quick arcade game. It takes careful planning, execution, time (usually lots of it) and a bit of luck. Not everyone likes that, but it is extremely unlikely that the situation will change.

As for amplifying the gap with BB money, of all things: please, division and cup champions get exactly zip money for their titles. All the cash they can make from BB participation comes in fair.

Last edited by GM-kozlodoev at 7/25/2008 1:05:39 AM

This Post:
39933.43 in reply to 39933.42
Date: 7/25/2008 11:53:21 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
Well, to everyone saying the top teams are sooo far ahead of everyone else, I made the cup final this season and the cup semifinal last season so it is possible to compete with the NBBA teams as a relatively newer squad...I started in middle of season 3. Just train well and do some coaching and you can be competitive, just don't expect to win immediately.

To: Coco
This Post:
39933.44 in reply to 39933.41
Date: 7/25/2008 2:25:04 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
of 4 NBBA champions, 2 started in division II. 1 started in NBBA and is getting demoted this season. As of now, 6 of the 8 teams heading to the playoffs promoted into the NBBA.

"Well, no ones gonna top that." - http://tinyurl.com/noigttt
This Post:
39933.45 in reply to 39933.44
Date: 7/25/2008 7:46:20 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I guess I should make an appearance on this thread since I was the spender of the 9.5 million. I don’t think I’ll add to the constant who can/can’t compete argument (I swear, I think a thread on butterflies would de-evolve into this).

I had been saving money all year with the intent of purchasing an elite guard (the occasional small arena upgrade notwithstanding). Other's in my division have switched to training guards and some of mine have started to become overmatched.

Nearing the end of the season and feeling that I would not be able to compete against the top teams of my division, I decided that I would sell my great center Jared Spurlock (790680). I have done well training and have other players that can easily make up for his absence from my rotation. Taking advantage of the late season feeding frenzy, I managed to sell him for 5.2 million to my apparent parent team (they bought my 1st great center Stacey Cash) Stella Rossa Japigna. This nearly doubled the money I had saved throughout the season.

Then, while searching the TL, a heavenly light shines down and the Angels begin to sing as I spot Alejandro Depetris (2619496). He has been the 1st player all season that I’ve recognized as good enough to compete with the top teams in my division.

Almost immediately after spotting him, I put my starting SG Quim Belmiro (3074340) on the TL. Belmiro is a very good player, but he just isn’t good enough to match-up with the top teams like the Bulls or KDB. Of course, he could still easily handle Salisbury (sorry, that’s my mandatory Juice cheapshot).

This basically commits me to pursuing and purchasing Depetris no matter what. At this point I could and would have spent over 14 million for him. As excellently stated earlier in the thread by GM-oeuftete, this player would be more valuable to me than to nearly everyone else in Buzzerbeater. No one else all season would’ve been a good enough upgrade to compete in my league.

I eventually had to outbid what appeared to be the entire country of Chile who wanted to keep their NT player home. This would appear to be what lead to the price being so high. I do think, however, that the 9.5 million precedent will be easily overtaken early next season and my purchase will be considered standard for a player with the skills like Depetris. Feel free to disagree with me on this point; I have no actual evidence to back this up. It is merely a gut feeling

Do I think that this move will allow me to win the NBBA? Probably not. The other teams in my division have extremely skilled teams (my opponents in the playoffs each reached the round of 16 in the BB3 tournament). Home court advantage and excellent tacticians will be difficult to overcome as well.

This move is as much for the long term as for the short term. With the training slowed this year, I believe that it will be 2-3 seasons until the high potential players (over allstar caliber) will make a huge impact. In my opinion it makes little sense to train 21-22 y/o allstar guards much beyond the multi-prominent level. The slowed training on older players will not make it cost effective. Again, no actual evidence/gut feeling.

All of the above thought processes lead to the 9.5 million purchase price. It was interesting reading what was already here about and would like to hear more of what the rest of you thought of my decision.

This was quite fun, I haven’t written anything like this for a while. If anyone is interested, I might eventually write a franchise manual if I get time.

Edit - This was written before the recent changes. Most of the above is pretty much crap right now.

Last edited by Losk0 at 7/28/2008 11:49:09 PM

Advertisement