BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > "zero" rostering - right or wrong?!

"zero" rostering - right or wrong?!

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
144528.37 in reply to 144528.34
Date: 5/23/2010 5:36:52 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
It's hard to consider this case as the team being exploitative when you consider that he is losing millions in potential revenue for not training his players. He could be spending around 100k on salary over the course of the season, around 5-10k a week, in order to make several million in additional income from training.

The main difference between this and a few scrubs to dress for each game is that other teams in the league all end up with a 25-0 victory/ies when facing him instead of a silly high score contest wherein other teams increase their point differential by different amounts, which, being used as the tiebreaker between teams, would have more of an effect on the rest of the league.

Teams folding their roster and rebuilding is a major component of this type of game considering it has no salary floor whether it is done by having a few players with low salaries or none. Establishing a salary floor would cause issues as to its effect on teams that go bankrupt and have to rebuild and teams that succeed in competing to some level with far lower salaries than their league peers. At the same time penalizing walkovers with additional lost revenue will do more to penalize teams that have an incorrect roster for one week due to browser issues with setting a lineup, an out of date default lineup when forgetting to set a roster, or any more common reason than something as rare as this.

TV contract being limited to the weekly salary expenditure would be fairly appropriate, but would probably do more to penalize the many lower division teams that manage to compete in or win their divisions while having team salaries much lower than the rest of their league, than it would prevent the extremely rare cases like this one.

This Post:
144528.38 in reply to 144528.11
Date: 5/24/2010 3:02:21 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think people raised some very good points in this thread, although I just want to make clear such a tactic is by no means cheating. There are many situations in BuzzerBeater where you have to choose between long or short term success. In some situations you choose to sacrifice some short term succes in order to gain more long term succes and visa versa, for example selling a starplayer to invest in awesome rookies, or buyin your new Lebron instead of expanding your arena.

As maleshka already pointed out in (144528.10), this manager probably, unfortunately, decided to quit the game and therefore sold his whole roster.
But let's say he really choose to do what the original poster suggest he did; sacrificing tons of short term succes in order to be able to bounce back in the long term. I really doubt the effectiveness of such a tactic. As Steve Karenn already pointed out, in many divisions you are not guaranteed to promote back straight away with a new roster. Relegation is disastrous for your economy, and quite some people underestimate the (financial) effects of being relegated.
Let's say you apply this tactic in the top division which earns your an extra $500k/wk, this is about 7M per season. In most top divisions you can buy just 1 new starter for your team, I'm not sure if that's worth relegating.

This Post:
144528.40 in reply to 144528.38
Date: 5/24/2010 4:01:16 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Try to see the result. That team will have much stronger advantage upon other II. div teams next season, because didnt spend anything to avoid his situation.

It is economically less valuable strategy than trying to fight and stay in I. div, however it makes his future life much easier.

This Post:
144528.41 in reply to 144528.40
Date: 5/24/2010 4:14:11 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm not sure where this advantage comes from. The relegated team has to play the full season with a worse economy than the D2 team. The relegated team starts with an empty roster, while the D2 team got a top class roster already.
I don't think you can buy yourself the title in most D2's starting with an empty roster, and 35m cash in bank. Especially if you have to buy a few rookies so that, even if you might promote, you can compete in D1.
But sure there might be situations where this tactic is effective. I can imagine it would be effective in some of the cases Coco mentioned, but is this a bad thing?

As long as people play within the bounds of the game, without breaking the rules, I'm not gonna judge a strategy someone uses to reach the top.

This Post:
144528.43 in reply to 144528.41
Date: 5/24/2010 5:04:17 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
The relegated team has to play the full season with a worse economy

Im suprised everytime I see a problem, that it is partially solved somehow.

I dont know what was the motivation to apply this rule, but the main issue I had about the relegated team was that it could have a team which can promote right away, therefore will create bigger problem to anyone else who want to promote.

See - ideally (imo) the mechanism works like that - promoted teams have a good chance to reach playoff next season, relegated teams are glad to reach playoff next season.

:)

To: Coco
This Post:
144528.44 in reply to 144528.42
Date: 5/24/2010 5:16:48 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
You're right, I should have stated it slighty different. Luckely you understood what I meant, if one partical way of playing the game starts to largy dominate the other strategies, then we might have to see whether something has to be done.

Daytrading was getting to excessive and thus it gained too much of an advantage above other strategies, I don't think this is the case with 'zero-rostering'.

This Post:
144528.45 in reply to 144528.44
Date: 5/24/2010 6:00:00 PM
Jerusalem TET
II.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Jerusalem TET Utopia
According to info of his team, he has bout 45-50 millions, not 35. With this amount of cash he can build a team that will beat easily almost every team in BB, not just D2. 5 6M+ starters plus 5 3M backups for instance. The economic reduce due to relegation is miserable comparing to the huge unrealistic income from attendance and TV.

This Post:
144528.46 in reply to 144528.45
Date: 5/24/2010 6:19:54 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I stated this before based on his current arena prices:

Since he sold all his players he got from the Arena:

$ 2,951,330

So lets assume that till the end of the season he can get $4,000,000.

Do you really think that will make the difference?

You are all saying it is wrong that he has 0 roster and still has attendance and Tv revenue. I do agree partly with that but, althought it seems he has an huge advantage over the other teams of the II division or so, I can't agree with that. He sold ALL his players and he got 30,000,000. The money he had before on his account was his own profit without any kind of "cheeting" and now, he can raise 4,000,000 more over his huge budget.

And if a team from the II division decides to sell all the players as well? Maybe they could raise 30,000,000 as well. And if they had already 10,000,000 on the account as some of you already stated this guy has. Then, they would have 40,000,000 on the account. Is the 4,000,000 really going to make the difference now? Or you are all so attached to your players that you can't even think in this strategy?

To conclude, I do agree that the moeny from the arena is ridiculous without roster but I can't agree that this his giving him such a huge advantage over the other teams!

Message deleted
Advertisement