Show messages by
This Post:
223240.5 in reply to 223240.4
Date: 8/8/2012 10:04:36 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
where it really sucks is if u come 3rd or 4th

pay full salaries

get 1/3 arena income

get pounded in the playoff game probably giving u a worse fan survey that if u came 5th

lose

lose

lose

This Post:
223240.6 in reply to 223240.5
Date: 8/9/2012 2:46:03 AM
Mountain Eagles
III.1
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Ric Flair Drippers
I PONed my Plaoff Game to give the game moree competition, but look at the final score, it was very competitive right?

117-79 Mountain Eagles

feel Bad for the SIXERS I wondered if I POCTed............he is still embarrassed and the fans are pist off at him.............wish em luck next season.......

3 Time NBBA Champion. Certified Trainer. Mentor. Have any questions? Feel free to shoot me a BB-Mail!

This Post:
223240.8 in reply to 223240.7
Date: 8/9/2012 2:50:50 PM
New York Chunks
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
While I haven't counted the beans, I suspect from a financial-only perspective it is probably better to win more games and make the playoffs. Keep in mind that losing games affect ticket sales and merchandise during the current and following seasons. Granted, winning games usually means keeping a bigger payroll to keep up the winning, but having played a few seasons here I think I've noticed that I tend to make more money after my better seasons and have a harder balancing my budget after a down season.

Of course, long-term strategies isn't just about making money. There are other trade-offs, such as training (winning often comes at the expense of optimal training), draft pick rank (if you put much into the draft), etc., and depending on where you are in a long-term plan and what your approach to a winning formula is, there are a whole lot of ways to slice this pie. I think most of the best teams in my leagues historically are teams that just burned their way to the top by winning as much as possible (including my own team when I was pretty new here), while teams that toil and rebuild and struggle to make the playoffs (or intentionally avoid them) have a pretty high rate of stagnating or collapsing. But then again, there have been a few teams that have hit my current league in the last few seasons and really did try to win right away and burn their way to the top but then burned their bank accounts into oblivion and ultimately turned bot.

Ah, the fun of this game. So many ways to slice pie. I prefer to just eat it without slicing it, usually starting from the middle and working my way out. And every now and then I have no choice in the matter when some clown hits me with a pie to the face.

Don't ask what sort of Chunks they are, you probably don't want to know. Blowing Chunks since Season 4!
This Post:
223240.10 in reply to 223240.8
Date: 8/9/2012 3:31:08 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
But then again, there have been a few teams that have hit my current league in the last few seasons and really did try to win right away and burn their way to the top but then burned their bank accounts into oblivion and ultimately turned bot.

Ah, the fun of this game. So many ways to slice pie. I prefer to just eat it without slicing it, usually starting from the middle and working my way out. And every now and then I have no choice in the matter when some clown hits me with a pie to the face.

You know, had you just shared your pie with Loid, maybe the Mongooses would not have gone bot. Have you ever considered your personal responsibility in these other users' tragic tales?

I'll have key lime with light whipped cream. No need to give me a plate or silverware either, but do bring a glass and I'll be happy to share a frosty beverage with you.

This Post:
223240.11 in reply to 223240.10
Date: 8/9/2012 10:07:06 PM
New York Chunks
II.2
Overall Posts Rated:
Well, I have been trying to get a game together this summer. I'll post an update for a NYC game in the USA forum. I have to check out a park next week so why not announce it as a meeting place for BBers?

Don't ask what sort of Chunks they are, you probably don't want to know. Blowing Chunks since Season 4!
This Post:
223240.12 in reply to 223240.8
Date: 8/10/2012 9:43:02 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
it is just so hard to tell what is better

if u go 11-11 & finish 5th what rating will that give u next season for how u did compared 2 going 11-11 finishing 4th & then getting raped in the 1st playoff game by 50!

fairly sure playof games count as tv games as well so that is 2 more weeks of another 1/2 ball category

it is just so uncertain if scraping into 4th is better financially in the next season than just missing out on it & being 5th

but what is CERTAIN is u are about $500,000 worse off right away! do u really think ur fan survey 4th v 5th is worth $500k?

Player Salaries:$ 694 096
Attendance: $ 511 148 /3 = $170,000

so 4th u pay $700k & get $170k gate = loss of $530
5th u pay 0 salaries & get no game = break even

This Post:
223240.13 in reply to 223240.12
Date: 8/12/2012 12:36:03 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I saw many teams loosing on purpose the last match so that they get the 5th and have no chance of entering the playoff. In fact, both 5ths in my league did that.

So, If you rather prefer to not enter the playoff than enter in the 4th or 3rd place, don't you think there is a big problem? Yes, there is . And we all know is a financial problem. So I don't see any "negative aspect" in balancing the incomes of the team who made the playoff. It HAS to be done.

Last edited by El Diablo at 8/12/2012 12:38:42 AM

This Post:
223240.14 in reply to 223240.13
Date: 8/12/2012 1:53:21 AM
Overall Posts Rated:
I think its more of HCA being overpowered in combination with finances.

Teams hovering around 3rd-6th, look at their rosters and look at the top 2 teams and if it is close at all realize that HCA gives the win to the other team. Then instead of trying to pull off some cinderella story they are happy to aim for 5th and collect more cash for the next season.

Basically, I think that if the effect of HCA was reduced during the PO(or in general) then it could lessen tanking for 5th(although not erase it by any means).

Advertisement