BuzzerBeater Forums

BB Global (English) > "zero" rostering - right or wrong?!

"zero" rostering - right or wrong?!

Set priority
Show messages by
This Post:
144528.40 in reply to 144528.38
Date: 5/24/2010 4:01:16 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
Try to see the result. That team will have much stronger advantage upon other II. div teams next season, because didnt spend anything to avoid his situation.

It is economically less valuable strategy than trying to fight and stay in I. div, however it makes his future life much easier.

This Post:
144528.41 in reply to 144528.40
Date: 5/24/2010 4:14:11 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I'm not sure where this advantage comes from. The relegated team has to play the full season with a worse economy than the D2 team. The relegated team starts with an empty roster, while the D2 team got a top class roster already.
I don't think you can buy yourself the title in most D2's starting with an empty roster, and 35m cash in bank. Especially if you have to buy a few rookies so that, even if you might promote, you can compete in D1.
But sure there might be situations where this tactic is effective. I can imagine it would be effective in some of the cases Coco mentioned, but is this a bad thing?

As long as people play within the bounds of the game, without breaking the rules, I'm not gonna judge a strategy someone uses to reach the top.

This Post:
144528.43 in reply to 144528.41
Date: 5/24/2010 5:04:17 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
The relegated team has to play the full season with a worse economy

Im suprised everytime I see a problem, that it is partially solved somehow.

I dont know what was the motivation to apply this rule, but the main issue I had about the relegated team was that it could have a team which can promote right away, therefore will create bigger problem to anyone else who want to promote.

See - ideally (imo) the mechanism works like that - promoted teams have a good chance to reach playoff next season, relegated teams are glad to reach playoff next season.

:)

To: Coco
This Post:
144528.44 in reply to 144528.42
Date: 5/24/2010 5:16:48 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
You're right, I should have stated it slighty different. Luckely you understood what I meant, if one partical way of playing the game starts to largy dominate the other strategies, then we might have to see whether something has to be done.

Daytrading was getting to excessive and thus it gained too much of an advantage above other strategies, I don't think this is the case with 'zero-rostering'.

This Post:
144528.45 in reply to 144528.44
Date: 5/24/2010 6:00:00 PM
Jerusalem TET
II.4
Overall Posts Rated:
Second Team:
Jerusalem TET Utopia
According to info of his team, he has bout 45-50 millions, not 35. With this amount of cash he can build a team that will beat easily almost every team in BB, not just D2. 5 6M+ starters plus 5 3M backups for instance. The economic reduce due to relegation is miserable comparing to the huge unrealistic income from attendance and TV.

This Post:
144528.46 in reply to 144528.45
Date: 5/24/2010 6:19:54 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I stated this before based on his current arena prices:

Since he sold all his players he got from the Arena:

$ 2,951,330

So lets assume that till the end of the season he can get $4,000,000.

Do you really think that will make the difference?

You are all saying it is wrong that he has 0 roster and still has attendance and Tv revenue. I do agree partly with that but, althought it seems he has an huge advantage over the other teams of the II division or so, I can't agree with that. He sold ALL his players and he got 30,000,000. The money he had before on his account was his own profit without any kind of "cheeting" and now, he can raise 4,000,000 more over his huge budget.

And if a team from the II division decides to sell all the players as well? Maybe they could raise 30,000,000 as well. And if they had already 10,000,000 on the account as some of you already stated this guy has. Then, they would have 40,000,000 on the account. Is the 4,000,000 really going to make the difference now? Or you are all so attached to your players that you can't even think in this strategy?

To conclude, I do agree that the moeny from the arena is ridiculous without roster but I can't agree that this his giving him such a huge advantage over the other teams!

Message deleted
This Post:
144528.48 in reply to 144528.41
Date: 5/24/2010 10:18:14 PM
Overall Posts Rated:

As long as people play within the bounds of the game, without breaking the rules, I'm not gonna judge a strategy someone uses to reach the top.

Do you not view these as loopholes as opposed to strategies? It seems that you wish to purposely allow these so called skewed strategies to occur rather than having people highlight loopholes and then closing them?

Day trading is now under control, but buying after the economic update playing once and selling isnt. Having 0 players then springing an attack up the rankings is now acceptable as well...

Having $35mil right now could quite comfortably catapult you up most ladders in most divisions. If it isnt $35mil then wait til you have $40mil (by which time a triple tremdous big man might cost you $750k :D)

Its no problem either way as long as everyone knows that 'anything goes' and its not frowned upon. It just seems contradictory to add more 'realism' to the game engine and other facets of the game and then ignore other points which often infuriate the majority of your userbase when they point out areas which still don't appear up to scratch.

This Post:
144528.50 in reply to 144528.49
Date: 5/24/2010 11:50:26 PM
Overall Posts Rated:
I've seen a few suggestions that requiring teams to avoid a forfeit in order to receive arena revenue would solve the problem. We can definitely look at doing something like this if it would help, but I don't understand why it really solves the problem. If we instituted this rule, wouldn't a team using this strategy simply then hire a few very cheap players and lose games by 100 points instead of by forfeit?

Yes, probably, but you're talking about two different things. Even in the real world you have cheap owners that refuse to spend money on talent and are well below the salary cap. If, however, they were to fire all their players, I'm pretty sure they'd find themselves out of the NBA (and I don't mean in a relegation sense, I mean kicked out). And they certainly wouldn't be getting any revenue. Call me crazy but one of the attractions that games like BuzzerBeater have is the somewhat sense of realism. You feel like you're really managing a team. To leave a glaringly unrealistic loophole in the game simply because "it doesn't happen often enough so it's not worth the time" sounds a bit lazy and disappointing to hear.

And I don't think anyone is complaining about or even mentioning players throwing games on purpose. The argument here is getting rid of all your players to eliminate salary expense and hoarding tv and ticket revenue from forfeited games. To buy yourself an all-star team that can steamroll through the competition once you get relegated and you'll be fully re-loaded for another run in the top flight.

Oh, and one more thing. If this person really left the game, like another BB had suggested, then why hasn't he been botted yet? His transfer sales are from the end of March. If that was really his last activity in the game, wouldn't he have been converted to bot by now? Obviously he's still playing the game in some form.

Last edited by ShootingStars at 5/24/2010 11:54:11 PM

Advertisement